Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Mint Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #111
jesseroberge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv
Interesting. Sounds like a little floss + hop bag (suspending the bag from the keg cap/top) would do the trick just fine. Maybe even mint floss?
No strings atached dude hahahahaha je reason is because as the level of beer goes down I want the leaves to sit on top of this baby
Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM   #112
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbeeryum View Post
I'm going to make this as one of my Christmas beers and am super excited about it. I've read the whole thread and there seem to be a variety of ways people have added the mint to the beer: leaves only in secondary, leaves soaked in vodka in secondary, vodka without leaves in bottling bucket, extract in bottling bucket, leaves soaked in peppermint schnapps in bottling bucket or secondary, and even some adding to boil.

I definitely want to have a pronounced (noticeable) minty flavor, although not necessarily over the top. I would be disappointed if the mint dissipated prior to the holidays. Is there any kind of consensus on which way is best/most effective to add the mint? Does one way ensure the mint sticks around longer? I could just make it barely before Christmas, which isn't that far off anyway at this point, but I will be bottle conditioning so I need to allow ample time for carbing.

Additionally, I have a bunch of other beers going on and that I'm planning to brew, so available buckets is becoming an issue. Avoiding the need for a secondary would be wonderful/preferable if it won't be detrimental to the beer.

Thoughts?
I used mint cocoa powder instead of regular cocoa powder. My mint flavor lasted a long time, it didn't really fade too much. Check your grocery store for mint cocoa powder, it works great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #113
wowbeeryum
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did you do a direct sub with the mint cocoa powder (8 oz)? Did you use any additional mint?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #114
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseroberge View Post
No strings atached dude hahahahaha je reason is because as the level of beer goes down I want the leaves to sit on top of this baby
Good point. I was thinking from a dry hopping perspective, since usually you weigh dry hops down with marbles and suspend via floss tied around the bag.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #115
jesseroberge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah I get your point, but in the case of keg hopping we don't want the bag to be sucked up by the dip tube floating hopping is better in that case

Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #116
scratchex
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I'm going to make this as one of my Christmas beers and am super excited about it. I've read the whole thread and there seem to be a variety of ways people have added the mint to the beer: leaves only in secondary, leaves soaked in vodka in secondary, vodka without leaves in bottling bucket, extract in bottling bucket, leaves soaked in peppermint schnapps in bottling bucket or secondary, and even some adding to boil.

I definitely want to have a pronounced (noticeable) minty flavor, although not necessarily over the top. I would be disappointed if the mint dissipated prior to the holidays. Is there any kind of consensus on which way is best/most effective to add the mint? Does one way ensure the mint sticks around longer? I could just make it barely before Christmas, which isn't that far off anyway at this point, but I will be bottle conditioning so I need to allow ample time for carbing.

Additionally, I have a bunch of other beers going on and that I'm planning to brew, so available buckets is becoming an issue. Avoiding the need for a secondary would be wonderful/preferable if it won't be detrimental to the beer.

Thoughts?
We used mint oil (NOT extract) in the secondary. We only used a few drops of mint oil and it was plenty. The initial pour after a few weeks in the keezer was pretty intense. The mint tapered off to a perfect balance after time and everyone enjoyed it. In fact it was a favorite beer amongst our friends and we often get requests to brew it again. We plan on brewing it again for the holidays as well and will brew it exactly the same way we did before. I recommend using mint oil and just see how it tastes and if you want more of a mint flavor then just add another drop or 2 to the keg after a few weeks.

Good luck.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #117
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Did you do a direct sub with the mint cocoa powder (8 oz)? Did you use any additional mint?
I did half mint cocoa powder and half regular, but wished I would have used more mint cocoa. I also used 0.1 oz fresh picked chocolate mint in the boil, but not sure if that had any effect.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #118
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Did a 5 gallon batch of this yesterday. My "tweak" to it was using the Andy's Mints Bakers Crumbles. Put them in with 10 mins left of the boil, and it smelled amazing! One thing I noted, I had to take several gravity readings, and I am still not confident in either...

Even with 10 mins of boiling those crumbles still did not fully dissolve. Every time I take a gravity reading I have a fair amount of this "debris" in which the meter is just sitting on. I know expected OG was 1.060ish, and I have managed a 1.077. I am just having a hard time beliving one bag of those crumbles raised me .017 points... I am also noting a "waxy" feeling on my cylinder/hydrometer. Probably something in the mint crumbles but time will tell what it does. I see no oil slick on top or anything. Everything looks, smells, and tastes A-OK at this point. Fermentation started up in about 4hrs.

Primary 1 & 2: Hazelnut Brown Ale
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter

Old 10-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #119
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Have checked it twice since putting it in the fermentor. 1st time the gravity was down to 1.040, slight waxy/oily feel to the hydrometer and tube. Very rough burn coffee taste no real mint profile.

Put it in the 2ndary last night. Gravity was 1.022. Tasted 10x smoother and had a slight mint hint in the finish. Again though there was the slightly oily texture to the hyrometer and tube.

I did a mint coco "tea" and poured it into the 2ndary. I also dissolved about 1/4 bag more of the mints into this "tea." Boiled it and then let it cool in an ice bath as everything was being siphoned over to the carboy.

If I brew this again I may dissolve the mints in a bit of boiling water before adding it to the boil kettle. Not sure how/what difference this will make, but I didnt notice any sort of waxy/oily substance doing it this way.

Tastes almost where I want it. I just wish I had a OG I felt confident in .

Primary 1 & 2: Hazelnut Brown Ale
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter

Old 10-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #120
HomebrewDaddy
Recipes 

Hey all, I wanted to brew a chocolare stout, using cold pressed chocolate (no additives). I used the grain bill, hop schedule and opted to use the wyeast Rogue yeast. I brewed according to schedule, held my fermentation temp at 69, then kegged and pitched 2 oz of chocolate and let it sit for a month....minus the every other day keg shaking in an effort to keep the choc in suspension. My results? AWESOME!!! Everyone that has tried this beer has had told me they are really impressed. Thank you for the recipe. Cheers!

Quick Reply