Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Mint Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #91
bbbblaine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I definitely want to brew this too. I will have to do a little more research on the best way to use chocolate in the recipe, though. I don't really want to lose a lot of the beer because of the powder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #92
djwilhelm
Recipes 

i dunno if i missed it somewhere or not but was the .5 oz referring to weight or fluid oz?

Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #93
Damonowskivich
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I picked up the grains for this recipe, gonna be my 2nd all-grain brew. LHBS didn't have Cluster hops, so I substituted Galena, and I'll cut that almost in half, portion-wise since it's almost 14% AA (compared to the recommended 7%AA Cluster).
Yar yar yar!

"Oh, Lisa, you and your stories: Bart's a vampire, beer kills brain cells. Now let's go back to that...building...thingie... where our beds and TV... is."

On tap: Beer
Bottled: Wine

Old 06-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #94
MacrosNZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Just made a batch of this yesterday. Changed the hops to what I had in the freezer so used Northern Brewer, Cascade, and Hallertau. I also couldn't find any Hersey's drinking cocoa so gave it a little kiwi twist with hokey pokey flavoured drinking chocolate that had less than 2% fat (Herseys website says theirs has 1%). Managed to hit an OG of 1.056 so should be good.

Pic of the mash.

Got three batches fermenting now. The stout, an Irish red, and another Nevada pale clone.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #95
djwilhelm
Recipes 

I made this recipe as my second all grain batch over my birthday weekend(week and a half ago) and it smelled wonderful going in and got really excited to try this one, after about a day of furious fermenting and bubbling, it practically stopped, all foam receded, and all particulates stopped.

Now over the last year or so of brewing i have learned some patience. Being that the original recipe called for 4 weeks in the primary i decided to give it some time before checking it. Well today i checked it while i was racking another beer to a keg and whadda ya know, 1.012 pretty damn close. i thought for sure this one had stalled or something. anyway it's back continuing for a couple more weeks, or till i need the carboy for another beer.

Also of course had to taste the sample, couldn't let it all go down the drain. one sip and was amazed how good it was so far, next thing i know i down the rest of it and find myself tipping the tube wondering where it all went

Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #96
HopEd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

I've brewed this recipe twice before, and it is quite good. Now I'm looking to up the mint flavour through hops. I've heard that Northern Brewer and Fuggles can give off minty flavours. Would I have to do this by dry hopping or would late additions do the trick? Has anyone else tried this?

Bottled: Imperial Stout, Pecan Pie Porter, Scottish Ale, Milk Stout
Kegged: Celebration Ale, Scotoberfest

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #97
bbbblaine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopEd
I've brewed this recipe twice before, and it is quite good. Now I'm looking to up the mint flavour through hops. I've heard that Northern Brewer and Fuggles can give off minty flavours. Would I have to do this by dry hopping or would late additions do the trick? Has anyone else tried this?
Somebody else please correct me if I'm wrong here... I believe dry hopping is primarily for aroma. And I think that would probably add too much hop character and overpower the chocolate and mint that the beer is supposed to highlight.

What may be better is using those hops at the 20 minute boil time and at flame out. This will contribute small amounts of IBUs but mostly flavor and aroma. Either way, a dark beer will make it more difficult to bring out the hops due to the dark grains used, but specific hops might still help the minty flavor.

It's definitely worth experimenting with.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #98
Grinch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

any opinions on using WLP001? I've got some washed yeast in the fridge, and am always looking to save $ however I can.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #99
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This recipe looks great. I'm going to modify it by putting some ancho and guajillo peppers and a tiny bit of cinammon in, in order to make it a mole styled beer. I love NB Cocoa Mole, but love the idea of a mint choc stout, so why not the best of both worlds?

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #100
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Just got the email from Northern Brewer, they have brew outside the lines kits. Had to find a stout recipe to add to http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/b...late-chip.html and I want to combine this recipe with that kit.

Never brewed a stout before, how is it with regular CO2?

Quick Reply