Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #71
DrummerBoySeth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
My first ferment in glass and I'm enjoying the show!
It is fun to watch, but you may want to cover that fermenter with a towel or blanket when you are not enjoying the show to keep light out. Light can cause reactions with the hops in the beer which cause the beer to taste "skunked". This is why brown bottles are preferred over green or clear.

It may not make TOO MUCH difference over the course of a 2 or 3 week fermentation, but I would not be willing to risk it with my beer.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #72
alexipa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexipa View Post
Brewed this today but with 6 lb LME and 1.25 oz fuggle @ 60m, other than that it was exactly as posted. I wanted about 5.5% ABV and hit 1.064 OG. If everything goes to plan with fermentation, should be nearly exactly 5.5%!

Thanks for the recipe, I'll post my results in a few weeks.
Been drinking this lately and it's turned out fantastic. It's been a little over two weeks and I think it'll peak in a couple more, so I'll be drinking this slow. Overall it's an excellent sweet stout that smells and looks absolutely perfect.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #73
Chopper92
Recipes 

Just brewed this today. Used extra light (3lb) and golden light (3lb). Smelled great. OG was high...but that's ok. I don't mind a big stout. No fuggles at shop, went with hersbrucker. No windsor yeast....went for english ale yeast. We'll see what happens.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #74
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed Sunday, all grain with wlp080. Hit 1.056 , brew day went well. Going to dry hop with some coco nibs.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #75
Fappasaurus
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I brewed this a couple months ago and WOW this is absolutely my favorite beer I've ever made. I served this to friends at a party and even people who generally dislike dark beers loved this one, its just so smooth. Anyway I was wondering what it would be like to turn this into a Oatmeal Cream Cherry Stout? Too much of a good thing? Thanks for any input.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #76
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cherry might work. I put coco nibs in mine, almost ready to keg.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #77
IanJ
youtube.com/brewfiles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Brewed a 3 gallon batch this week, used Muntons Plain Light, divided into 3 additions throughout the boil. OG was a bit high, probably due to the boil, stupid apartment stove.

Planning on adding .7oz of french oak chips soaked in bourbon at the end of week 2 for 3 days... then going to bottling. Don't want overwhelming flavor, just hoping for a hint of oak.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #78
relaxnrelapsen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default english ale yeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper92 View Post
Just brewed this today. Used extra light (3lb) and golden light (3lb). Smelled great. OG was high...but that's ok. I don't mind a big stout. No fuggles at shop, went with hersbrucker. No windsor yeast....went for english ale yeast. We'll see what happens.
this was my very first brew and i too went with the english ale yeast. flavor was awesome. this time i am using wlp007, a higher attenuating yeast. i felt the first go around was a bit syrupy for most people. i also didn;t really know how to brew then. but i love wlp007 for bigger beers.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #79
NunoAraujo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This will be my first non-kit batch. Unfortunately I had to make some changes:

-No lactose, so no milk. I just can't find that darn thing anywhere.

-Safale s-04 instead of notty

-East kent goldings 6% (about 1.6 oz @ 60 min since I'll be doing half boil)

-LHBS didn't have chocolate malt but had chocolate wheat malt so that's what I'll be using

-I was thinking about using 0.5-1 lb of 60l crystal, would this somehow compensate the lack of lactose in sweetness?

Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #80
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoAraujo View Post
This will be my first non-kit batch. Unfortunately I had to make some changes:

-No lactose, so no milk. I just can't find that darn thing anywhere.

-Safale s-04 instead of notty

-East kent goldings 6% (about 1.6 oz @ 60 min since I'll be doing half boil)

-LHBS didn't have chocolate malt but had chocolate wheat malt so that's what I'll be using

-I was thinking about using 0.5-1 lb of 60l crystal, would this somehow compensate the lack of lactose in sweetness?
Adding crystal malt will help, but I am not sure that it will completely make up the difference. However, S-04 usually does not attenuate as well as Notty, so that will add a little sweetness to the finished brew as well. Between the 2 changes, you overall perceived sweetness will probably be in the ballpark. If you are worried that the perceived sweetness will be too low, you can also decrease the hops by 10% or so. Either way, it should still be a solid stout, just not quite exactly the same as the original recipe.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

NunoAraujo Likes This 

Quick Reply