Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #61
djevans3
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Go with the extra light instead of the amber or dark. The extra light has the same ingredients with a slightly lighter color. The other two extract have different malts that will impact flavor. You can read up on the details here:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #62
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

ok, tasted mine after almost a week of bottling. tasty, but I think I added too much sugar for a stout's profile when bottling. when with 4.5 ounces of sugar instead of 3.5 ounces of sugar so it would carb a tad faster (my father in law LOVES stouts and is coming down for thanksgiving and I wanted it to be ready in 2 weeks instead of 3)... yeah yeah I know, stupid, still well within parameters for bottle bombs etc. (tested and FG was at 1.017 for 4 days straight). just a tad "sharper" than most stouts are, kinda covers up the smooth creamier taste that I can detect underneath that carbonation. Can I just crack the lids a bit and recap to relieve some of that carbonation. (stout still tastes good just know it can be soooooooo much better if it was less carbonated.)

Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #63
Aboo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans3 View Post
Go with the extra light instead of the amber or dark. The extra light has the same ingredients with a slightly lighter color. The other two extract have different malts that will impact flavor. You can read up on the details here:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm
I must have missed something on the page you linked, but I couldn't find the extra light there at all.

Looks like the difference between Amber and Light is Amber is sweeter? I got impatient and already asked them to send the Amber instead, before I read your post. I guess I won't be brewing until next weekend then. Damnit.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The "Sharp " taste will fade as it ages. Your tasting "green " beer right now. I would say start drinking those beers in two weeks, that carb level is going to make it taste like soda if you leave it go to long. I have done the very samething. Now I keg... less worries. Still this is the best stout I ever made and people who don't like stout keep coming back for more!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #65
djevans3
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo View Post
I must have missed something on the page you linked, but I couldn't find the extra light there at all.

Looks like the difference between Amber and Light is Amber is sweeter? I got impatient and already asked them to send the Amber instead, before I read your post. I guess I won't be brewing until next weekend then. Damnit.

Sorry, most homebrew shops call it extra light. Briess calls it Pilsen light. It's the same stuff.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #66
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69 View Post
The "Sharp " taste will fade as it ages. Your tasting "green " beer right now. I would say start drinking those beers in two weeks, that carb level is going to make it taste like soda if you leave it go to long. I have done the very samething. Now I keg... less worries. Still this is the best stout I ever made and people who don't like stout keep coming back for more!
yeah, a "soda" taste is the best way to describe it. ok, it'll mellow as it ages a bit. good, I'm hoping to pop the bottles at about the 2-2.5 week mark for my father in law. x fingers.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #67
J187
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Has anyone noticed that you when you plug this into beersmith, you get an estimated FG of 1.009? This confuses me...
For what it's worth, Brad responded to my email saying it's a known bug and they are working to fix it for the next release.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 AM   #68
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Gonna brew this next, I think... I do love me some sweet stout!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #69
Aboo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans3 View Post
Sorry, most homebrew shops call it extra light. Briess calls it Pilsen light. It's the same stuff.
No worries, as I said I had already told them to replace it with the Amber Extract. And I decided I'm going to brew it with the Amber anyway. There are other grains in the Amber, true. But, it's grain and half the fun of this hobby is seeing what happens, right? I'm highly doubtful it will completely destroy what I'm going for which is a sweet, sessionable Stout.

This will be my second beer, not counting Apfelwein and my first to ferment in glass. I'll post updates to let you know how the Amber impacts it. Wish me luck!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #70
Aboo
Recipes 

Ok, I brewed this last night with the following changes.

1.) My grain order came all combined in one big bag, so I couldn't separate the oats. Instead, I brought my water temp to 115 and steeped the whole bag for 15 minutes, then just left it all in there and brought the temp up to 155 for another 45 minutes.
2.) Used Amber extract instead of Light. Added half of the DME after the steep, then added the other half with the Lactose and Irish Moss. at the 15 minute boil point.
3.) Added bittering hops at 45 minutes instead of 60 and aroma hops at flameout.

My OG was 1.049, which I think is pretty good considering the partial boil mix. I'm still looking to hit the prescribed FG from the original recipe.

It is bubbling merrily away on my kitchen table this morning. My first ferment in glass and I'm enjoying the show!

Quick Reply