Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #151
amatomation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So SG on days 7 and 10 in primary were unchanged at 1.032, from OG of 1.065. I did some serious stirring after the initial read, but I guess this is as far as it goes. I had added a bit of extra grains on brew day (12 oz black patent and 8 oz roasted barley). ABV comes out to 4.3, which is actually higher than what DrinkinSurfer's recipe actually calculates out to. But 1.032 seems super high. Does anybody have any thoughts? Does this fit with my extra grains? When would anyone consider repitching? I think I saw someone who racked at 1.030 earlier in this thread. It tastes pretty good - chocolate, roasty, with a very faint tang which I'm attributing to the lactose. Thanks for any and all advice - I'm a supernewb

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 03:19 AM   #152
sooner_brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatomation View Post
So SG on days 7 and 10 in primary were unchanged at 1.032, from OG of 1.065. I did some serious stirring after the grains on brew day (12 oz black patent and 8 oz roasted barley). ABV comes out to 4.3, which is actually higher than what DrinkinSurfer's recipe actually calculates out to. But 1.032 seems super high. Does anybody have any thoughts? Does this fit with my extra grains? When would anyone consider repitching? I think I saw someone who racked at 1.030 earlier in this thread. It tastes pretty good - chocolate, roasty, with a very faint tang which I'm attributing to the lactose. Thanks for any and all advice - I'm a supernewb
I actually brewed this today! Only changes I made was add 16oz of corn sugar at end of boil to bump the FG

Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #153
howamidriving
Recipes 

I think I'm gonna give this recipe a try next week and I have a bit of a newbie question.

The oats called for can just be regular grocery store oats right? part of the reason I want to do this one is I have some oats lying around

Old 04-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #154
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yes quaker oats or a generic version work just fine.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #155
amatomation
Recipes 

So mine turned out fine in the end. 12 days in primary, 17 days in secondary. Tried to go easy on bottling sugar shooting for 2.1 volumes CO2 but it actually was a touch flat even for stout after 3 weeks. Otherwise a very easy drinking session stout with a nice smooth finish very chocolatey.imageuploadedbyhome-brew1397952064.145496.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 09-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #156
Man-O-Leisure
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Hi All,
Im about to plan my first ever AG brew and had planned on a creamy type Stout as i am a Guinness lover and unable to get it where i now live.. So this recipe sounds and looks perfect for me in many ways.. suits my tastes and seems to be a rather easy/fast brew to bottle to my mouth beer

A few questions that i dont understand reading through all the posts:

1. SG and FG.. how do i test this? From what i read it sounds like you guys are opening up the primary fermenter a few times to test? how is this good for the beer opening the fermenter ?

2. What exactly is the point/need of secondary fermentation? why is it not possible to just leave it in the primary fermenter the whole time until bottling?

3. When priming to bottle, can this be added to the fermenter and then bottled or do i need to add a little to each bottle?

4. When brewing, talking time of boil and such, is that time calculated from the point where the water starts a boil or just total time over the heat? This mash part confuses me cause ive watched videos where people are mashing whilst over a gas burner so heating, but also seen some home brewers mashing in an old cooler, with no heat at all.. just preheated water..

5. I live in a hot place, can this stout be ok fermenting at say 25 degrees celcius?

6. Dues to space restrictions, i want to do a 1 gallon first brew, and am hoping that i can maybe after primary fermentation that i can split it into 2 half gallon secondaries to maybe experiment with some different flavours in each like the vanilla and chocolate additions.. is that possible?

Im sure more questions will arise, and i know i have a lot to learn before actually doing this first brew, but at least i think i have now found the recipe that i want to do!!

Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #157
mkyl428
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-O-Leisure View Post
Hi All,
Im about to plan my first ever AG brew and had planned on a creamy type Stout as i am a Guinness lover and unable to get it where i now live.. So this recipe sounds and looks perfect for me in many ways.. suits my tastes and seems to be a rather easy/fast brew to bottle to my mouth beer

A few questions that i dont understand reading through all the posts:

1. SG and FG.. how do i test this? From what i read it sounds like you guys are opening up the primary fermenter a few times to test? how is this good for the beer opening the fermenter ?

2. What exactly is the point/need of secondary fermentation? why is it not possible to just leave it in the primary fermenter the whole time until bottling?

3. When priming to bottle, can this be added to the fermenter and then bottled or do i need to add a little to each bottle?

4. When brewing, talking time of boil and such, is that time calculated from the point where the water starts a boil or just total time over the heat? This mash part confuses me cause ive watched videos where people are mashing whilst over a gas burner so heating, but also seen some home brewers mashing in an old cooler, with no heat at all.. just preheated water..

5. I live in a hot place, can this stout be ok fermenting at say 25 degrees celcius?

6. Dues to space restrictions, i want to do a 1 gallon first brew, and am hoping that i can maybe after primary fermentation that i can split it into 2 half gallon secondaries to maybe experiment with some different flavours in each like the vanilla and chocolate additions.. is that possible?

Im sure more questions will arise, and i know i have a lot to learn before actually doing this first brew, but at least i think i have now found the recipe that i want to do!!

Wow a lot of questions.... First I would suggest reading up on how to homebrew & maybe watching some YouTube videos.... having said that let me answer some of your questions for you.....

1.You test this using a hydrometer. yes you open the fermenter & draw out a sample with a wine thief or a turkey baster as long as you use proper sanitization this will not hurt your beer..

2.You do not need a secondary fermenter... many brewers myself included only use a primary... primary for about 3 weeks check SG and bottle accordingly..

3.Use a bottling bucket, boil the priming sugar in a couple cups of water and add to the bottling bucket then rack your beer on top of it and bottle away...

4. The time starts when the wort comes to a boil. When people mash over a burner the heat is not on you may do this in your kettle using a bag (see BIAB) or in a cooler traditional style with preheated water.

5. 25°C is a bit warm most ales should be fermented around 18°C-21°C You can use a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber to achieve this.

6.Yes that is definitely possible just make sure to restrict head space in your secondary vessel to reduce risk of oxidation.

Good luck! If you have any more questions create a thread in the beginners forum you are mose likely to get a quick response.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2014, 01:20 AM   #158
handro
Recipes 

Well here it is after fermenting for 11 days, bottled for 12. The rest will wait until Thanksgiving. Can't wait to hand it out to my family, I think they will really enjoy it as it's really easy to drink. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 PM   #159
Texconsinite
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A few questions: Has anyone tried this with LME instead of DME?

What about adding a little brown sugar? say .5-1 lb. do you thinkg it would lend something besides a higher OG to this recipe? Im wondering because i do like some brown sugar on my oatmeal

Has anyone tried adding vanilla extract at bottling, if so how much? Im thinking of splitting this batch by bottling half without vanilla, then adding it to the rest, so just wondering how much would be good.

How different is nottingham than windsor, will it ferment drier and less sweet/fruity than windsor,

Old 12-14-2014, 11:12 PM   #160
soapy45
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Started an all grain version of this recipe this afternoon. OG was 1.054 and we got 5.5 gal of wort into the primary, so I think we had a good day.

Quick Reply