Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #131
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 74

So I just found out I forgot to get the Oats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess since I have everything preped and ready to go I'm moving forward with 1lb of Flaked Wheat instead. I should get similar results (I hope). Let you know how it turns out.

Primary - empty
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- none
Kegged- Dry Irish Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #132
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So within 12 Hours this brew was bubbling quite nicley, as of yesterday morning no more action. So it was I'de say a good 48 hours of vigorous fermentation. Not sure if this is normal or not but from the other posts I would say it may have something to do with why this brew has such a quick turn around. Any pointers let me know

Primary - empty
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- none
Kegged- Dry Irish Stout

Old 11-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #133
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bottled the Wheat one I made on Saturday Tasted great. The final Gravity was kinda low but over all I think this is going to turn out fine. Next up I'm making this with all "homegrown" Ingredients. I have malted my own Barley and grown my own hops, aside from the DME, everything else is mine. So heres to it!!!!

Primary - empty
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- none
Kegged- Dry Irish Stout
Newsman Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #134
lucasxp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Brewed this yesterday and smelled good!

Are u guys doing secondary? Or just primary? How long should the fermentation last?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #135
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasxp View Post
Brewed this yesterday and smelled good!

Are u guys doing secondary? Or just primary? How long should the fermentation last?
My Fermentation was pretty fast 2-3 days. I did not use a secondary either. Bottled it after 11 days in the primary and should be enjoying it this week.

Primary - empty
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- none
Kegged- Dry Irish Stout

Old 11-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #136
lucasxp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt73

My Fermentation was pretty fast 2-3 days. I did not use a secondary either. Bottled it after 11 days in the primary and should be enjoying it this week.
Let me know how it turns out! I've seen a similar recipe that the guy left in primary for 2 weeks then secondary with cocoa nibs for another 2 weeks and apparently it's REALLY good!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #137
ivegotabike
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt73 View Post
So I just found out I forgot to get the Oats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess since I have everything preped and ready to go I'm moving forward with 1lb of Flaked Wheat instead. I should get similar results (I hope). Let you know how it turns out.
I forgot the oats when i made mine and went to my grocery store and got organic oats and it worked out great(in my opinion) i also used sonnet hops instead of fuggle hops.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #138
nthammer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 28

I went to the LHBS and got ingredients, the grains only came in 1lb bags, so that's what i got, and the guy crushed them all together, so i have twice as much black patent and carapils as i need, do you think this will effect the beer in a negative way?

Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #139
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthammer View Post
I went to the LHBS and got ingredients, the grains only came in 1lb bags, so that's what i got, and the guy crushed them all together, so i have twice as much black patent and carapils as i need, do you think this will effect the beer in a negative way?
I would consider doing a double batch if its all mixed together. Get enough for another batch minus black patent and carapils. Double the black patent will throw it off for taste and of couse color. Hop ibu will be off as well, thats why I suggest a double batch. I will be worth it in the long run. Everytime I make it, it doesn't last long, family and friends seem to come around more when they know its on tap.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #140
Hello
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1393 Times on 973 Posts
Likes Given: 2179

So I plugged this into Beer Smith 2 and noted a post regarding the FG being 1.009. I too still have that showing at 1.009 and also, my OG is only 1.049. I'm not sure if I picked the wrong ingredients in BS or what.

Any thoughts? I would like for BS to at least be right on the OG.
screen-shot-2013-12-18-8.21.04-am.png

Edit: I updated the software to 2.2.1 and now the OG is 1.047 and FG is 1.008. Not sure the bug reported last year was fixed.

Quick Reply