Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #121
DrinkinSurfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it AnCapJake. You summed up this brew pretty much dead on, lots of color and flavor but exceptionally drinkable. Bigger isn't always better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #122
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 76

OMG been looking for a good MO Stout Extract reciepe so thanks. I have a pumpkin ale to do this week end but this looks liek it ferment really quike if I brewed it next weekend it would be bottled before the pumpkin. Thanks again and I think this one will go in my books and stay on tap for awhile I love a good Stout.

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 09-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #123
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hi Wingnutt, yeah this is the fastest brew I've ever done. It finishes really fast and is great fresh. Let us know how it goes!

Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #124
ElliotLion
Recipes 

I brewed this recipe this weekend and had a lot of trouble with boil overs. I had to remove the pot from the heat every three minutes or so to prevent them. This might be due to my 2.5 gallon boil size. Everything else was done per the recipe. The other problem I had was the trub did not settle in the cooled wort well, and a lot made it to the primary. Did anyone else experience either of these issues? Is there anything I can do to correct it? I thought I could rack off the trub early and re pitch. All advice is appreciated.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #125
AnCapJake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotLion View Post
I brewed this recipe this weekend and had a lot of trouble with boil overs. I had to remove the pot from the heat every three minutes or so to prevent them. This might be due to my 2.5 gallon boil size. Everything else was done per the recipe. The other problem I had was the trub did not settle in the cooled wort well, and a lot made it to the primary. Did anyone else experience either of these issues? Is there anything I can do to correct it? I thought I could rack off the trub early and re pitch. All advice is appreciated.
When I brewed this I experienced similar issues with the trub when I racked to primary. I began with a smaller boil size than I should have and it resulted in me having a rather thick sludge when I racked. I began by straining but realized I would have had an unreasonably low yield as well as alcohol content if I were to strain the entire thing so I just dumped the whole mess into my primary, topped off, then pitched. The trub settled really well after two weeks (racked onto a little less than 2 tbsp of vanilla for one week in secondary) and I ended up with a yield of about 44 bottles. I wouldn't stress too much as I was quite worried as well and my brew turned out phenomenally (nearly all of it has been drank in less than two weeks).

Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #126
iamperplexed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This one just went in the kettle. AG, BIAB 3 gal batch. Really looking forward to it.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #127
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I am brewing a new version of this recipe since I am back in an apartment and don't have room for all grain. The numbers are all pretty close to the original recipe. I am most excited about swapping the black patent for Carafa III (I love Carafa III). Also, I think the addition of the Maris Otter should add some depth and a slight nuttiness to it.

Briess Golden Light Dry Extract 4 lbs, 8 oz
Briess Flaked Oats 1 lbs, 0 oz
Lactose 1 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 0 lbs, 12 oz
Crisp Maris Otter 0 lbs, 8 oz
Briess 2 Row Carapils 0 lbs, 8 oz
Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III ® 0 lbs, 8 oz
Fuggles Pellets, UK 1 oz @ 60 mins
Fuggles Pellets, UK 1 oz @ 5 mins
Danstar Windsor

Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #128
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I am brewing a new version of this recipe since I am back in an apartment and don't have room for all grain. The numbers are all pretty close to the original recipe. I am most excited about swapping the black patent for Carafa III (I love Carafa III). Also, I think the addition of the Maris Otter should add some depth and a slight nuttiness to it.

Lactose 1 lbs, 0 oz
Danstar Windsor

Old 10-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #129
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkinSurfer View Post

Lactose 1 lbs, 0 oz
Danstar Windsor
Just picked up this stuff last night Hopefully its going in the Pot tonight.
I have been looking forward to brewing this for a while now. I am very excited about the Marris Otter change up.

Also just a couple questions, Is the total time Brew-Bottle 4 weeks including the conditioning time? Or is it more like 4 weeks primary and secondary then 2-3 weeks bottle?

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 10-18-2013, 03:13 PM   #130
lucasxp
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That's great man! thanks for sharing!
I was about to buy the ingredients for a Christmas Ale, but this one sounds really good too!!

Quick Reply