Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #111
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 93

My second batch of this is in secondary right now. I turned it into an Imperial Milk Oatmeal Stout, still with blueberries and vanilla beans soaked in Bourbon this time instead of Cognac. I also added some blueberries to the boil, as the blueberries were mostly lost last time. I'll let you know how it turns out as I've entered it into the upcoming Aurora Brewing Challenge. Hopefully it'll go the distance!

Bottles: Smoked Porter | Ginger Beer | Ommeggang Gnomegang Clone
Kegs: Corriander Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #112
AnCapJake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Couple of quick questions. I've only made one batch so bear with me, though I have done a significant amount of reading.

Since this is labeled an extract recipe, is it safe to assume the boil is about 3 gallons then topped off with water when racking to primary? Additionally, would it be safe to use crystal 10L instead of carapils? I am trying to keep costs down and since it is decently cheaper to purchase more grain than extract, would it be fair to use only 4 (or perhaps even 3) pounds of the light DME and to make up for it with an increase in both the chocolate malt and the black patent by say half a pound each? I also plan on using US-04 since I plan on purchasing online from AHS and they are out of windsor for the time being (also the reason for the crystal 10L substitute, keeping shipping costs down by not having to order from multiple sites, closest LHBS is an hour away). Also, I plan on adding some powdered vanilla extract to my bottling bucket along with the priming sugar. Would you say this is the proper time to perform such an addition?

I also plan on excluding the aroma hops at the end.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I really look forward to brewing this. It sounds amazing!

Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #113
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's some of my thoughts on the above post. I would brew this first without any changes. I have made this more times then I can count. This is one of the better stouts I ever made. Adding crystal instead of carapils is going to change the taste, even though the carapils is more for head retention. As far as the vanilla, don't know about using power, I wouldn't. I would use vanilla beans soaked in vodka for 5 to 7 days in the secondary fermenter.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #114
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Oh and I forgot Windsor yeast is what adds the smooth taste. I'm not a fan of US-04. Notty or Us-05 maybe better but not the same as Windsor.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #115
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hi AnCapJake,

Your boil volume can be 3 gallons and then top off.

If you are going to substitute grain for the DME, I would use a base malt (2-row) and do a partial mash(brew in a bag). Adding extra chocolate and black patent malts aren't going to add the same fermentables and will change the flavor profile(which is fine, but is not really a substitute for DME).

Yeast is up to you. But I would try to get close to the flavor profile and attenuation of Windsor if possible. Windsor has a low attenuation which keeps the brew from drying and thinning out. It also has subtle, fruity notes.

I would suggest plugging in exactly what you are thinking of doing to some brewing software, Brewmaster's Warehouse has a beer build in their website that is easy to use. That way you can really see what you are looking at, especially if you are thinking about skipping the aroma hops addition. Balance is the key.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #116
AnCapJake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you both for the advice. I may just bite the bullet and order from a different website in order to keep more to the same recipe. This early in my brewing endeavors may not be the time to try too much experimentation.

I did take a look at the Brew Builder you mentioned and must admit it is a bit fun to mess around with the recipe finding what works and what doesn't. I may change the recipe a little bit to save some money but we'll see. I do believe I will use a pale chocolate malt as opposed to the english chocolate malt. I would have to agree that the vodka/vanilla bean mix sounds better than using a powder. Thanks again for the help, I will definitely post my results. Now I just have to order the ingredients and wait until I need to rack my brown ale from primary to secondary!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #117
AnCapJake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just thought I would go ahead and post an update. I ended up using crystal 10l, us-05, and I also upped the chocolate malt a bit. Otherwise I followed the recipe. It was in primary for 2 weeks and has now been in secondary for about a week. I just took a hydrometer sample and it read 1.022. I tasted the sample and it was phenomenal. I am incredibly excited about this beer. I plan on bottling within the week. I will most certainly post again once I try the final product.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #118
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Glad to hear you are liking this brew so far. This is one of those beers that is great fresh so you don't really have to worry about letting it sit at all.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 AM   #119
BarBush
Recipes 

Got my ingredients. Though I goofed up scaling all of my grains in one container at the LHBS. Ended up with I'm guessing about 10oz carapils. Shouldn't hurt too much right? Anywho, this is my first non kit brew. I think I picked a good recipe 😃 Cheers in about a month..

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #120
AnCapJake
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright well I finally got to try the final product. After two weeks in primary, one week in secondary, and only 10 days in the bottle, this brew is great. Good looking tan head. The oats definitely give it a silkier feel. One thing I was surprised to notice was how light this was for a stout. Not in color of course, but in drinkability. This is easily a very sessionable stout and I am very pleased with this brew, especially as it is only my second.

Quick Reply