Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #101
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 93

The tasting for mine was delayed until later on this evening. I'll be bringing several bottles of this to the local HB Guild meeting. There should be several BJCP judges there. Now that mine has been aging for several weeks, you really get the vanilla and blueberries on the nose. Everyone who's tried it has really enjoyed it. The bubbles in the head are a lot tighter now, with really nice tan head and lacing.

Bottles: Smoked Porter | Ginger Beer | Ommeggang Gnomegang Clone
Kegs: Corriander Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #102
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The coco nibs are very sub-tile. I used .25oz in the secondary, I know they can be bitter if you add to much. Still this beer is the bomb as always! Good luck in VA. looks like your in for a big snow storm.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #103
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Things I overheard at the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild Monthly meeting...

Judge 1: I hear there's a Stout over here that I just have to try
Judge 2: Yeah, it's an amazing delicious milk Stout
Judge 1: Oh wow, I'm getting really nice vanilla and blueberries on the nose, and just a hint of it in the aftertaste

Then the 2 time Canadian Brewer of the year told me I should enter it into the upcoming Aurora Competition, which was seconded by 3 other judges... so I guess this recipe is pretty good. I got a good 30 or 40 compliments on the Milk Oatmeal Stout, as well as several for a Rauchbier I brought with me as well.

DrinkinSurfer Likes This 
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #104
phallpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this last night (well, a bastardized version), using the extract recipe. Realized I ordered un-milled grain, so I spent WAYYYY to long hammer-milling it myself - hope I didn't obliterate too much of it/leave too much of it un-milled. RDWHAHB right?

Other than that went pretty well - used 1oz Willamette for bitter and Goldings for aroma. Also used S-04 yeast. The OG of 1.05 right on the nose. A very pretty dark brown, I have to say. Got up this morning and she appears to be fermenting. Will keep y'all informed.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 AM   #105
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the hammer thing. I bet side-by-side you wouldn't end up being able to tell it apart from the same recipe using milled grain. Gonna be good beer.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #106
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallpdx
Brewed this last night (well, a bastardized version), using the extract recipe. Realized I ordered un-milled grain, so I spent WAYYYY to long hammer-milling it myself - hope I didn't obliterate too much of it/leave too much of it un-milled. RDWHAHB right?

Other than that went pretty well - used 1oz Willamette for bitter and Goldings for aroma. Also used S-04 yeast. The OG of 1.05 right on the nose. A very pretty dark brown, I have to say. Got up this morning and she appears to be fermenting. Will keep y'all informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak
I wouldn't worry about the hammer thing. I bet side-by-side you wouldn't end up being able to tell it apart from the same recipe using milled grain. Gonna be good beer.

(There's some science to this but I petered out. Listen to brew strong podcast on mash efficiency for details. Basically particle size mostly relevant to conversion and lautering. So as long as you didn't grind up the husks into powder, it shouldn't make any real difference)

Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #107
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultkid View Post
Things I overheard at the Edmonton Homebrewers Guild Monthly meeting...

Judge 1: I hear there's a Stout over here that I just have to try
Judge 2: Yeah, it's an amazing delicious milk Stout
Judge 1: Oh wow, I'm getting really nice vanilla and blueberries on the nose, and just a hint of it in the aftertaste

Then the 2 time Canadian Brewer of the year told me I should enter it into the upcoming Aurora Competition, which was seconded by 3 other judges... so I guess this recipe is pretty good. I got a good 30 or 40 compliments on the Milk Oatmeal Stout, as well as several for a Rauchbier I brought with me as well.
Congratulations! That is really awesome that you got such great feedback for your recipe! Keep it up!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #108
NunoAraujo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Here's mine, I added an extra pound of crystal 60l because I thought I wouldn't be able to find lactose anywhere...but then when I tried it it was pretty bitter so I ordered some lactose from ebay...turned out pretty nice though.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #109
Cultkid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

This brew became an instant favorite with all my friends as well as people I don't even know... I changed my recipe slightly for the second batch, I added more blueberries and vanilla, and I also switched from Cognac to Burbon. I'll let you know how it turns out! I am actually making a 12gal. batch now since the first one was so well received.

DrinkinSurfer Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #110
phallpdx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update on my hammered version: Turned out great! I was feeling a bit tight on cash so I didn't add vanilla beans like I had intended, but it tastes great as is. It is a great session stout for sure; it has a great mouthfeel and it goes down easy.

Quick Reply