Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Milk Oatmeal Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #91
Cultkid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojito View Post
So I brewed this bad boy On Saturday. I followed the original Extract Recipe and used two packages of Windsor yeast.

The yeast started after around 14 hours and picked up quickly. After about 26 hours is started slowing down. Today (day 2) it is really slow. Bubble every 43 secs in the airlock.

Room temperature has been pretty constant at 71 degrees. I also have a Belgian Trippel brewing in the same room and its bubbling away happily.

Do I need to be concerned?
I had the same concerns after brewing this up on Friday, similar story, used 2 packages of WYEAST 1728 Scottish Ale™ and it was pretty slow to start, bubbled for a while, and then slowed way way down.

My OG was 1.066 (I used extra light DME in my recipe) and I tested it yesterday and it was still pretty high coming in at 1.030... I figure there's not really much else I can do other than wait and see in a couple more weeks.

It had a nice 6-8 inches of kreuzen on the top of it, so I know some fermentation occurred but I think it's either stalled or slowed down so much I can't tell if it's still fermenting or not. I've got a good 3" trub on the bottom.

Oh well, here's hoping for the best!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #92
Aboo
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cultkid View Post
It had a nice 6-8 inches of kreuzen on the top of it, so I know some fermentation occurred but I think it's either stalled or slowed down so much I can't tell if it's still fermenting or not. I've got a good 3" trub on the bottom.

Oh well, here's hoping for the best!

I believe the Lactose addition increases the trub since it is not fermentable. I had a very thick layer of trub in mine as well, but it came out great!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #93
Brewskie
Recipes 

This is my second brew ever. Just tasted it at bottling and it was great! Pretty exciting, considering the first beer I brewed wasn't too good at this stage. I also soaked vanilla beans in vodka for a week and added them as a flavor addition at bottling to half my batch. I think the vanilla flavor may end up being a tad strong. Definitely worth the experiment though. Can't wait for it to carb up!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #94
dannowatts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just brewed this again, for the second time, because the first batch was awesome!

this time, we used 2lbs of oats (1lb toasted, 1lb regular), 2lbs of lactose and used white labs WLP004 Irish ale yeast. can't wait to have this batch when it's ready. the first batch is already have gone!!

Old 02-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #95
Cultkid

Recipes 

This beer turned out really nice for me. I followed the recipe pretty close although I did add about a pound of Brumalt and I soaked some vanilla beans and blueberries in Cognac for 3 weeks and then added them to my secondary fermenter.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #96
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

blueberries, huh? How strong was that flavor contribution? I can see where a HINT of blueberry would blend pretty well in a stout, but I would be worried about the berries dominating the flavor.

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 AM   #97
Cultkid

Recipes 

Well, I sometimes wonder whether I can really taste the blueberries, or if I only taste them because I know they're there... It's definitely a hint. If you can taste them, congrats you have an exceptional palate.

Edit: This coming Saturday, the Vanilla Bean and Blueberry Milk Oatmeal Stout that I brewed will be tasted by several people at the local Homebrewers guild, as well as 3 local certified beer judges. I'll let you know what they think of it. It's to be a blind taste (as in, no label they won't know what they're tasting other than that it's a stout) and I'm curious myself to see if they pick up on any of the adjuncts and/or flavor notes.

Bottles: Smoked Porter | Ginger Beer | Ommeggang Gnomegang Clone
Kegs: Corriander Amber Ale

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #98
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hi Cultkid,
Let us know how the tasting goes, I am excited to see what they say. The blueberry is a very original addition to this brew and sounds like it is in the background enough for it to be a solid addition.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #99
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Milk Oatmeal Chocolate Stout Made with Coco Nibbs on WLP090 yeast All Grain.

Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #100
DrinkinSurfer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Shadows, that looks great. The head has the perfect deep tan color. When I made the original recipe way back when, that was one of the primary objectives. How do the coco nibbs come through? When it warms up a bit(I'm in VA now) I am planning on brewing this first thing and I had always considered doing a coco or vanilla addition.

Quick Reply