Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Mephistopheles Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #21
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

With the stressed yeast you may just get some extra esters that may not hurt too much or you might end up with some soapy or phenolic character that could be unpleasant. With the addition of the fresh yeast you might be okay though, I'm not really sure how adding some fresh yeast to old yeast will affect the output of the old yeast.

I can't get you a direct link to the article since you have to log in to see the online publication, but the article starts on Page 17 titled Making Big Brews Like the Pros. The reference to the use of 1272 along with some other yeasts is on page 18 in the last paragraph. http://www.homebrewersassociation.or.../current-issue

This is something to fill the empty space below my posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
@blizzard. I too was going to use my aquarium pump but was nervous about oxidation if I aerated again in the middle of fermentation.
Don't wait until the middle. A shot before pitching and then another one about a day later will help the yeast without producing off-flavors, but I wouldn't wait too long to re-aerate.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply