Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > McAustin's Mocha Stout (w/cold-brewed coffee)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM   #51
Roasty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Okay, so I've got a minor problem here.

I walked out of the brew shop with 5lbs of Light DME, not 6lbs of Dark DME.

Given that the steeping grains are accurate, how would the change to 5lbs Light DME affect the beer?

Also, I've got a malt starter packet and some table sugar (ick!) that I can make up the missing lb of difference with. Is that worth it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #52
Effington
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Roasty, save the Light DME for another style - using it would not result in a stout if I'm not mistaken.

I'm thinking of making this recipe with some minor variations. I do have questions though - what do you guys think of adding an additional 1 lb. of dark LME? Is 8 oz. of lactose enough to qualify this as a milk/sweet stout recipe? What is the advantage to use cocoa nibs over cocoa powder (if any)?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #53
arnies
Recipes 

What effect will taking the lactose out have on the beer?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #54
dannowatts
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnies View Post
What effect will taking the lactose out have on the beer?
it just wouldn't have the same creaminess to it or the mouthfeel that comes with that. it won't be ... well as "milky" i guess you would call the flavor/mouthfeel

Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #55
Brendon
Recipes 

cold brew coffee question,

how much water did you add to 1lb of coffee? Others have posted that the coffee absorbed the water leaving them with sludge.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #56
Effington
Recipes 

I used 24 oz. of water to 0.5 lbs ground coffee. I filtered about half as much water out of the grounds so it did absorb a good bit. Maybe a courser grind would be better, but the coffee I did extract was perfect for my purposes.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #57
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From what I read, cold brewing coffee should be more of a syrup when the filter process is complete. This syrup is used in the format of shots for ice coffee. The syrup can be stored up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Hope this helps someone, I was lost on the whole "cold coffee" thing till I read it and it said in the form of syrup when filtered.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #58
cyclefiend1123
Recipes 

Hi mcaustin: would you be able to post an updated version of your extract recipe for the mocha stout? If I understand correctly you would now:

_ use cacao nibs instead of the cacao powder, if so, how much? Also, do I assume they would be steeped along with the grains, or are they part of the boil? If you stick with cacao powder, when is that incorporated?

_ possibly use less cold press coffee? How much less? I'm looking for a balance of chocolate and coffee flavors.

_ different hop schedule?

Thanks,
Andy,
Tucson, AZ

Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #59
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cacao nibs are soaked in vodka for 24 hours then put in the secondary / end of primary for 5-7 days. They are put in a hop bag just as you would when you "dry hop". If you boil cacao nibs you get a bitter taste. I'm thinking 6-8oz of coffee cold brewed looks more like it. This is my thinking. I'm hoping to brew this recipe soon, waiting out my grain to come in.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #60
cyclefiend1123
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows69
Cacao nibs are soaked in vodka for 24 hours then put in the secondary / end of primary for 5-7 days. They are put in a hop bag just as you would when you "dry hop". If you boil cacao nibs you get a bitter taste. I'm thinking 6-8oz of coffee cold brewed looks more like it. This is my thinking. I'm hoping to brew this recipe soon, waiting out my grain to come in.
Great, thanks! I made the mistake of only buying one bottle of New Belgium's Imperial Chocolate Coffee Stout when it came out, so I'm going to try my hand at cloning it. I'm still a partial extract brewer so I'm curious if I can even come close.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply