Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > McAustin's Mocha Stout (w/cold-brewed coffee)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
mcaustin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default McAustin's Mocha Stout (w/cold-brewed coffee)

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast Labs 1968 London ESB Ale
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 33.8
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 30.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 13 (~66 deg)
Additional Fermentation: ~2 weeks aging in keg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 (~66 deg)

6 lbs Dark DME

Steeped 45 min:
1 lb 60L Crystal
1 lb UK pale malt
.50 lb roasted barley
.25 lb chocolate malt
.25 flaked oats

1 oz Norther Brewer (60 min)
.5 oz Tettnang (60 min)
1 oz Fuggles (20 min)

8 oz lactose (15 min)
1 tsp Irish moss (10 min)
.75 cup special dark cocoa (5 min)

I added my cold brewed coffee to secondary (28 oz) see cold brewing instructions below:

Coffee--Cold Extraction
This is a way of getting a very smooth coffee flavor to add to your beer. Add 1 lb ground coffee to 28 ounces of cold filtered water in a sanitized container. Allow this to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then run the mixture through a coffee filter. All or part of this extract may be added to your beer -- I used Starbucks Dark Italian roast.

Stubby Muzzle Brewing Pic Gallery

In the shoot: Mcaustin's Stout
On Tap: Warm AK Nights Barleywine

Posted Recipes: Mocha Stout, Bosco's Dry Hopped Black IPA
nckgibbons Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2008, 05:10 AM   #2
Austinaureus
Recipes 

I'm interested in brewing a coffee stout and, based on my capabilities, this extract recipe seemed like a good one to use. I have a few questions though.

What effect does 1/4 lb. of flaked oats have on the flavor and/or head retention?

I want to brew a coffee stout so I figured I'd just omit the cocoa. Was the lactose added to complement the cocoa, or should I keep it in the recipe to keep this a sweet stout?

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
mcaustin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used the flaked oats to give it some of the mouthfeel of the oatmeal stouts that I've always been a fan of.

When I made this recipe, I really had kind of a beer/latte mixture in mind, so adding lactose seemed like a pretty natural step in the process. I does make the stout itself more of a sweet stout, as you stated. I have a feeling that the lactose would go really well with a coffee stout (no cocoa) as well. Cold brewing the coffee is the key to avoiding the coffee bitterness from getting into your beer.

If you brew it, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts when you're drinking it. This was probably my favorite beer that I've made so far, and my friends drank it up pretty quickly as well.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Austinaureus
Recipes 

I'll let you know. I'm hoping to get to my LHBS this weekend so I can bottle my batch of apfelwein and get some ingredients.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Roasty
Recipes 

I bought the ingredients for this the other day. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Roasty
Recipes 

Finally brewed this on 9/6/08. I've got questions regarding the coffee going into secondary...

1) Does the coffee need to be boiled/sterilized somehow after it has been put through the filter? It just strikes me that this is juncture where contamination could easily occur.

2) Is it feasible to not use a secondary? Could I simply add the coffee to the primary after ~2 weeks?

Last edited by Roasty; 09-08-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Brewed on 9/6, not 8/6.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #7
mcaustin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
1) Does the coffee need to be boiled/sterilized somehow after it has been put through the filter? It just strikes me that this is juncture where contamination could easily occur.

2) Is it feasible to not use a secondary? Could I simply add the coffee to the primary after ~2 weeks?
1) DO NOT boil the coffee! You will completely negate the whole purpose of cold brewing it. Just make sure that you sanitize everything that the coffee will contact and you should be fine. from what I've read, since the beer is fermented at this point, it probably has enough alcohol to not be overcome by possible contamination.

2) I suppose that you could not use a secondary. I have traditionally used secondary vessels for all of my beers.

Let me know how it ends up!
Austin

Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Never Mind, it was in the recipe

Last edited by keelanfish; 09-24-2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #9
Roasty
Recipes 

UPDATE:

I asked earlier if I could skip secondary, and you said it was more or less a judgement call. I judged to go with your side. It needed a clean-up, and it was the perfect opportunity to rack the beer onto the coffee. I was VERY happy I did this (although it meant I had to go buy another carboy).

Speaking of the coffee...my cold brewing of the coffee F-A-I-L-E-D. It ended up that the coffee grounds just ended up absorbing the water. Basically it was coffee sludge. I couldn't get even 1 cup of coffee out of it. Clearly I needed the idiot directions or I left it in the fridge too long. Anyway, I hot-brewed 4 cups and used that instead, hoping that the bitter taste would appeal to me...

And it did! I tried a sample today after 2 weeks in the bottle. This stout is fantastic! The best way I can describe it is exceptionally balanced. The cocoa, coffee, bitterness and alcohol are not fighting amongst themselves for superiority, but rather dancing together for a well-rounded final product.

In eBay speak: A++++++++ would brew again!!

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
mcaustin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm glad that it came out well and that you're enjoying it!
I think that I need to brew this one again sometime soon (converted to AG now though). It's one of the favorite recipes that I've come up with.

I mentioned your cold brewing coffee issue to my wife (she's the coffee expert here, I just drink it), and she asked if you maybe didn't realize that the coffee grounds float? My only other thought would be that maybe you needed some more water? I actually let her make the cold brewed coffee after I brewed the beer

Quick Reply