Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Limerick Session Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
cuttsjp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default All-Grain - Limerick Session Stout

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1764 - Rogue Pacman
Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 35
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 35 L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days @ 66F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3-5 days @ 50F (Optional for clearing)
Tasting Notes: Great sessionable stout with a nice dry mocha character and a very clean finish

6 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Flaked Barley
14 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Crystal Marris Otter (substitute medium English crystal if not available)

1 oz Kent Goldings (7.1% AA) @60
.5 oz Willamette (4.5% AA)@60

Wyeast 1764 Rogue Pacman (such a versatile, awesome clean yeast; but possible substitutions Wyeast 1056, 1084, WLP 001, US-05 are acceptable)

Mash at 153° for 60 minutes

Ferment to completion, and let the beer clear. Condition for 7-10 days or force carbonate. The beer will taste great at bottling time, so feel free to start enjoying it right away. Hide some away if you want to be able to see its "aged" character, though...it's so darn drinkable it'll be gone fast! The beauty of this beer really is the simplicity.

Recipe calculated at 70° efficiency; adjust recipe as needed.

On tap: Limerick Session Stout, Junior/Senior Amarillo RyePA, Ralph Partigyle Bitter, Saison de Potiron
On Deck: Yazoo Gerst Clone, Experimental Belgian Mild, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH bitter, Belgian IPA, Coffee Cream Stout
Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
cuttsjp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Been my most recent batch of this for a while now...and man is it good. The awesome thing about it is that it's a perfect warmer weather stout. It has the drinkable appeal of a mild with the great roastiness and coffee flavors of a great stout. Love it. My ideal St. Patrick's Day stout for sure.

On tap: Limerick Session Stout, Junior/Senior Amarillo RyePA, Ralph Partigyle Bitter, Saison de Potiron
On Deck: Yazoo Gerst Clone, Experimental Belgian Mild, Nelson Sauvin SMaSH bitter, Belgian IPA, Coffee Cream Stout

Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
osully
Recipes 

Do you have to prime this if it is going into bottles instead of a keg? I am going to start this one today for my second AG batch. First was a solstice amber and it turned out great.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
cuttsjp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, if you are bottling, prime as usual. It's a matter of personal preference as to the level of carbonation, but I usually go with 2/3 c. priming sugar for this batch. Enjoy--this is a great recipe.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
WeissGuy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This looks good, similar to an Irish Dry Stout I'm about to brew Monday. The version I'm brewing doesn't have the caramel, and doubles the flaked barley.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
cuttsjp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeissGuy
This looks good, similar to an Irish Dry Stout I'm about to brew Monday. The version I'm brewing doesn't have the caramel, and doubles the flaked barley.
Good stuff! Since posting this recipe I've also done a version without the crystal and with the roasted barley at 1 lb even...it is definitely more of an "authentic" Irish dry stout that way, and I honestly can't decide which one I like better, it just kind of depends on my mood.

One of the things I have loved most in brewing has been developing some really good session-strength beers that are flavorful, yet lower in alcohol. This recipe certainly still goes on my list of favorites/standbys of session beers to brew.

Quick Reply