Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #81
BrewNinja1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
So after drinking this further, and sharing it with a few friends that love stouts, we've agreed:

It's a bit too 'dry'. Now yes, I know this isn't a dry beer (FG was 1.023 for me), but there is some soft astringency from the 1lb of Roasted Barley. I also don't get as much chocolate flavor that I get from LHMS; I get more coffee and esspresso. This makes the beer taste drier than it actually is. The astringency from the RB, and the heavy roasted notes were the big difference from this clone and LHMS. So next time i brew this I'm going to:

-Cut Roasted Barley to 10oz, possibly 8oz
-Up Chocolate to 14oz
-Mash much higher, I'm thinking 154-158.
-Also cut the 10min hop addition to 0.5oz

The recipe listed is absolutely fantastic, but it blurs the lines between a dry stout and milk stout in taste for me. It's a great beer, but i'm looking to get closer to LHMS, and the sweet stout BJCP category. This recipe obviously has a lot of mouthfeel, but it lacks the creamy chocolate smoothness that LHMS has.

I'll give it a re-brew, and li'll post how the revised recipe turned out.
Thats interesting. After I brewed this and let it age for about 2 months, I bought a real LHMS from the store. Then tasted them side by side blind. I couldnt tell which one was which. They were pretty much identical.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #82
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this on Saturday, 5 gals. The only thing I changed is the flaked oats to .5 lbs. The aroma smells great when brewing. Sitting at 63F and hit my numbers. Will see how it matches up to the Milk Oatmeal Stout which so far is about the best Stout I ever tasted and brewed.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #83
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewNinja1 View Post
Thats interesting. After I brewed this and let it age for about 2 months, I bought a real LHMS from the store. Then tasted them side by side blind. I couldnt tell which one was which. They were pretty much identical.
Keep in mind, none of those changes are dramatic. The difference could simply be difference in malts from different maltsters, or just the difference in everyone's brewing system. For my ingredients and system, a little less RB, a little more chocolate, and a higher mash temp are probably going to be the ticket.

Unfortunately, I won't be re-brewing this for a little while to tell. It'll probably be at least 2-3 months.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #84
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Lhms

Putting ingredients together today. What do you folks think of using 7 lbs of Marris Otter instead of regular 2-Row. Just got my bulk grain supplies and I am ready to go on a brewing spree

Can't wait to get this one under flame.

Sheldon

Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #85
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,

So I was at my local suppliers on the way from a memorial service to a baby shower. I didn't have any recipe, but had in mind to make an Edmund Fitzgerald. Couldn't find the recipe at the shop. A person behind me says to make Left Handed Milk Stout. He's making a partial mash(?) but will give my supplier a whole grain recipe on his phone. He did and said it would be no problem to look up this recipe on-line. I looked it up and thought it was this one. Turns out it wasn't. It was this one:
Left Hand Milk Stout Clone
Sweet Stout

Type: All Grain
Date: 6/28/2008
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.08 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.22 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
1.00 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.12 %
0.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
0.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.08 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.7 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
17.60 oz Lactose (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.88 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 39.7 SRM Color:
So I basically followed half the homebrew recipe and half his. I'm not sure the 1/5 ounces of Goldings for bittering made sense - he sent me the recipe after I was done brewing. I went out again and got some Magnum at a dicey supplier/package store that was closer to my house. He took the pellet hops from an open 1# package.

I used the 1# Lactose. I threw in a whole pound of flaked barley. I'm not sure what difference this will make. Like others, I'm a bit surprised at the amount of roasted barley. I could taste that in the wort. Other than that it tasted pretty good. I dumped the wort on top of some yeast from my previous batch that I kegged the same day.

Anyway, a lot of these recipes seem similar. If I used Northern brewer and Willamette hops, I wouldn't have had to buy any hops as I had Northern brewer in my freezer and I grow Willamette. i think it will be a good stout.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #86
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh, my OSG was 1.073 - perhaps a little higher as I didn't adjust for temp. Seems others got this OSG or close. I also used some major water adjustments based on the SRM and the EZ Water Adjustment Spreadsheet.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #87
shadows69
Recipes 

Done and kegged. Great beer has a good coffee taste to it. On the top 10 list for me.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:37 PM   #88
buckeye2011
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Going to brew this beer sometime in the next week or so. Any thoughts on using White Labs English Ale WLP002? I've got some in the fridge that I washed a while back and would like to use it soon.

If not I'll wait a couple of weeks and toss it on a US05 yeast cake that is currently fermenting Ed's Stone IPA clone.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #89
shadows69
Recipes 

I used us05 and it came out great. 1056 if u want it a little less dry.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:12 AM   #90
hopplease
Recipes 

Well this turned out great. Brewed on 4/15 and have it a bottle for 5 weeks. Tastes great. The mint additional I did is nice a mellow in the background of this beer. I had one at 2 weeks and it was horrible. This improved greatly with age.

I will try and buy a LFMS soon so I can do a comparison and see how much the mint changed this beer.

Quick Reply