Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #321
insanim8er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I had a great brew day with some friends yesterday. We brewed up 10 gallons of this fantastic milk stout.

I had a HELL of a time with my barley crusher, so after a few hours of messing with it, we finally got it working. The gap was larger than desired, so I did a double crush.

According to the efficency calculations, I ended up with 93% efficency.

Since I only had two 1/4 kegs to ferment in, I wanted to keep them close to 5.5 gallons ea. I added some extra wort from the last of the second runnings (about 1.019) to lower the gravity, but I ended up with 11 gal @ 1.077 OG (at 10mins left in the boil prior to adding the milk stout)

I'm looking at about 10.5 gallons of ~ 7-7.5%

I'm happy!

Old 10-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #322
eujamfh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

just poured my first taste yesterday. Simply delicious. We did a blind tasting with some commercial stours and this was clearly the winner. It is about 60 days since brew day and it tastes grand - I think it will be at its peak in a couple weeks…but I do not think it will last.

Ordering grains to do a 10g batch next weekend...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #323
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Tasted ours 2 weeks from fermentation and it is great. A little too much sweetness after the fact but we put in too much lactose by accident. Can't wait for another 3 weeks!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #324
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
Tasted ours 2 weeks from fermentation and it is great. A little too much sweetness after the fact but we put in too much lactose by accident. Can't wait for another 3 weeks!
How much lactose?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #325
insanim8er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
That sucks. How did you manage that? The bags I get only come in 1lb bags.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #326
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Made an 11 gallon batch and knew I needed more than 2 lbs, had a leftover bag from a previous small batch and told my buddy to put in all the lactose as I went in to help put one of the kids to sleep. Needless to say, 2 lbs 12 oz went into it when it should have been like 2 lbs 4 oz. It honestly tastes great, bit after the pint I had past night, the sweetness like sticks to your tongue. You don't taste it much at first, just after you drank the entire one.

Old 10-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #327
rbyount
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed this up as my second all grain attempt. SWMBO prefers stouts, so goal was to ensure happiness for support in my brewing endeavors. Brew day was August 24, 10 days in the primary, 10 days in the secondary, and a month in the bottle. Tried a bottle earlier and it wasn't ready, but had one last Friday and it was drinkable. Tonight I put this brew in a blind comparison with a Left Hand Milk Stout and presented them to SWMBO looking for critical and constructive feedback. Head was similar in both, the LHMS aroma was better than the homebrew (IMO) and I could taste the need for some additional aging on the home brew but ... my beloved bride liked both without any critical feedback - in fact she picked the homebrew as the commercial product.

ADX - my thanks to you for starting this thread with your recipe and allowing noobs like me to enjoy the fruits of your experience.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 AM   #328
insanim8er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Made an 11 gallon batch and knew I needed more than 2 lbs, had a leftover bag from a previous small batch and told my buddy to put in all the lactose as I went in to help put one of the kids to sleep. Needless to say, 2 lbs 12 oz went into it when it should have been like 2 lbs 4 oz. It honestly tastes great, bit after the pint I had past night, the sweetness like sticks to your tongue. You don't taste it much at first, just after you drank the entire one.
Ooh... I did 11 and kept it at 2lb. I did 5.5 my first batch and the 1lb was fantastic, so I didn't bother getting another lb for an extra 4oz. Mine just finished fermenting... 2 more weeks and I can keg it.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #329
insanim8er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyount View Post
Brewed this up as my second all grain attempt. SWMBO prefers stouts, so goal was to ensure happiness for support in my brewing endeavors. Brew day was August 24, 10 days in the primary, 10 days in the secondary, and a month in the bottle. Tried a bottle earlier and it wasn't ready, but had one last Friday and it was drinkable. Tonight I put this brew in a blind comparison with a Left Hand Milk Stout and presented them to SWMBO looking for critical and constructive feedback. Head was similar in both, the LHMS aroma was better than the homebrew (IMO) and I could taste the need for some additional aging on the home brew but ... my beloved bride liked both without any critical feedback - in fact she picked the homebrew as the commercial product.

ADX - my thanks to you for starting this thread with your recipe and allowing noobs like me to enjoy the fruits of your experience.
Man I must be the odd man out... My girl drinks more than me. She drinks anything but IPA, unless it's heavy on flavor hops and not bitter. But I got her hooked on the all grain graffs I've been making. Do a graff for her. You can't go wrong there.

As far as this LHMS clone goes, it's better than the real deal IMO. But I kegged mine while I tried theirs in bottles.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #330
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanim8er View Post

Ooh... I did 11 and kept it at 2lb. I did 5.5 my first batch and the 1lb was fantastic, so I didn't bother getting another lb for an extra 4oz. Mine just finished fermenting... 2 more weeks and I can keg it.
Yeah, thinking the same thing for the next time (as I know we will brew this again). 2 lbs or 2lbs 4 oz. Not much difference so ill keep it easy and go 2

Just wish I had my nitro setup going, this would be awesome on nitro.

Quick Reply