Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #251
Kjm06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber

No. This is a heavier beer as it is, you don't want added crystal. Just roll without it, maybe add a pound of base malt.
Sounds great thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #252
buckeye2011
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've brewed variations of this 3 times now and all have been terrific. Question for the all grain brewers: Has anyone mashed this beer really low? Like ~144-146? I've always had this beer end up around 1.028 because of the lactose, but I'd like something with less body for the summer. I've also felt the roasted barley took a backseat to the lactose sweetness and I'd like to bring it a little more to the front.

I'm thinking the lactose will still keep enough sweetness to balance the roasted barley but the thinner body might make it more appealing on a hot summer evening.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #253
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

Brewing this one up in a couple hours when my wife/brewers helper gets off work. Can't wait

Old 03-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #254
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

So i took a sample while racking to my carboy and my OG is 1.074. I think that's a bit high, I'm still learning about efficiency so is this a good or a bad thing?

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #255
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDuse
So i took a sample while racking to my carboy and my OG is 1.074. I think that's a bit high, I'm still learning about efficiency so is this a good or a bad thing?
Does that include your lactose? For this I personally think it's a good thing. I got 1.066 and it only went down to 1.028 giving me barely 5% ABV. I was hoping for at least 6%.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #256
Kjm06
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My OG was only 1.052 and I'm not sure why. I used the partial mash recipe and it should have been over 1.060. This was my first partial mash so maybe I did something wrong

Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #257
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

I did a full mash and the sparge went a lot faster than I thought it would for a 5 gal batch. And I took the sample before I pitched in my yeast. I guess I could be looking at a pretty big beer now, I'll let you know in a couple weeks when I go to the secondary

Old 03-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #258
DoubleDuse
Recipes 

Is the 21 days in the primary accurate? Mine has been in for a week and its seems to be done moving around for the most part. I was going to go to a secondary in another week but will this mess with the flavor before bottling?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #259
BeardedIdiot
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 177

DoubleDuse,

I pulled mine out of primary after 2 weeks, but I was on a time crunch to get the beer kegged for a New Years party.

It was technically "done" according to the SG, but I think that giving it another week would have helped the flavor a little better. Its so far been the best beer I've made, even with rushing it.

I guess check the SG, and if its where its supposed to be, then decide what to do. I don't really see the point of transferring to a secondary for this beer though. Its not like its being dry-hopped or flavored with something at this point, so leaving it in primary until bottling is probably your best bet.

Kegged: Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH Pale Ale
Kegged: Prohibition Lager
Kegged: Ricks Red Ale
Kegged: Wheat
Bottled: LH Milk Stout Clone
Primary 1: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde
On Deck: Milk Stout, SNPA clone, maybe a pale ale so I can use my homegrown hops to dry hop.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #260
brewski09
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedIdiot
DoubleDuse,

I pulled mine out of primary after 2 weeks, but I was on a time crunch to get the beer kegged for a New Years party.

It was technically "done" according to the SG, but I think that giving it another week would have helped the flavor a little better. Its so far been the best beer I've made, even with rushing it.

I guess check the SG, and if its where its supposed to be, then decide what to do. I don't really see the point of transferring to a secondary for this beer though. Its not like its being dry-hopped or flavored with something at this point, so leaving it in primary until bottling is probably your best bet.
I think the graininess drops out and you get a cleaner flavor with a secondary fermentation on this beer.

Quick Reply