Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #101
russcowles
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Brewed 3 months ago. Best beer I have ever brewed. Thanks for being so generous and for sharing such a great recipe!

Cheers!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #102
HellBentBrewCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm going to do an 11 gallon batch of this clone. I'm just going to double all of the ingredients but should I double the lactose? I've never brewed with it before so I don't really know the effects.

Hell-Bent Brew Co. on Facebook
Hell-Bent Brew Co. Gear Shirts, Steins and other awesome stuff

Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 AM   #103
haygood
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I would do 2 lbs.
are you shooting for 11 at the end of the boil?
12 gal in the boil kettle
11 after the boil
10.5 to the fermentor
10 or 2- 5's to the keg?

7, 6, 5.5, 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellBentBrewCo View Post
I'm going to do an 11 gallon batch of this clone. I'm just going to double all of the ingredients but should I double the lactose? I've never brewed with it before so I don't really know the effects.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:06 AM   #104
HellBentBrewCo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

13 in the boil (90 minute) 11 to the fermenters. 10.5 to keg and bottles.

Hell-Bent Brew Co. on Facebook
Hell-Bent Brew Co. Gear Shirts, Steins and other awesome stuff

Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #105
bucfanmike
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

i doubled it.. 2lbs of lactose. scored a 38 at the homebrew club meeting last week. Great beer, thanks OP for the recipe.

Mike in Duluth

Currently on Tap
1. Hefeweizen
2. BM Centennial Blonde
3. LHMS Clone

Pipeline
Next on Tap-Denny Conn Rye IPA
Kegged and aging Ed Worts Apfelwine, Denny Conn BVIP
Fermenters -

Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 AM   #106
shanlmt
Recipes 

I really want to make this next and I'm fairly new at all-grain brewing. I've good luck with the 1 batch of all-grain oatmeal stout I brewed, and I have another batch in the secondary. I really want to make this next, but I had a question about the mash temps. You have two temperatures listed, "75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F". I'm a little confused by the 2 temps. Is the 162.5 the temp of the strike water and 151 the temp you hold the grains at for the mash? Also, what temp do you heat the water for the batch sparging?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #107
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I think (but I'm not sure) that what they mean is heat the water to 162.5. Once the grain is added, it should give you a mash temperature of 151. I believe I had read that sparging temps should be around 175.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Brewing

Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #108
scone
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanlmt View Post
I really want to make this next and I'm fairly new at all-grain brewing. I've good luck with the 1 batch of all-grain oatmeal stout I brewed, and I have another batch in the secondary. I really want to make this next, but I had a question about the mash temps. You have two temperatures listed, "75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F". I'm a little confused by the 2 temps. Is the 162.5 the temp of the strike water and 151 the temp you hold the grains at for the mash? Also, what temp do you heat the water for the batch sparging?
Correct. I always sparge with 170 F water. The hotter the better really but any higher and (depending on pH, which I don't measure) you'll might start extracting tannins from the grain. I do 170 to play it safe.

Edit: I should add that I mash on the stove when I can, and raise the mash to 170 before the first runnings. If you're mashing in a cooler you'll probably want to do near-boiling water for the first batch sparge (since your grainbed will be at 150ish) to raise the grainbed to 170, then do the 2nd batch sparge with 170 F water. If any of this is confusing you should hunt around the General Techniques forum for more info. There's a ton of good threads on there about batch sparging.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #109
shanlmt
Recipes 

Thank you so much!! I am very excited about trying out this recipe and I will look at the General techniques forum. I didn't even realize that forum was there.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #110
R2-D2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this a week ago. OG was 1.064 for 5.1 gallons and I've been stuck at 1.027 all week. Pitched some more yeast two days ago, but nothing has happened or it's just gonna be a very slow ferment. Will leave it in primary for another week and then cold crash it in my garage before bottling. Tastes great so far. Little on the sweet side... it is what it is.

Note: After three days, the re-pitch didn't do a thing. Guess this sucker is just gonna be on the sweet side. Transferred to secondary and gonna cold crash in my garage for a week before bottling.

Bottled: Abbey's Weiss, Betty's American Wheat, Das Boot Kolsch, Coffee Stout w/Cocoa Nibs, Coffee Stout, Imperial Amber Ale, West Coast IPA, Nelson Sauvin Session Amber Ale, Belgian Golden IPA, Ya Mama's Best Milk Stout

Quick Reply