Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #91
buckeye2011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed this last night and everything went well. OG came in right at 1.066.

Strange thing though, I ended up with over 6 gallons of beer doing BIAB. Not sure where the extra wort came from but the OG was spot on. I used my normal mash volume (no sparge) but didn't get the same absorption. I would have thought the flaked oats/barley would absorb more liquid. I tried to boil off a much as I could but finally got tired and cut the burner with about 6.5 gallons of wort. I now have a verrry full better bottle. Blow off tube in place!

I mashed this a little high at 154 degrees, which I hope doesn't make it too sweet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #92
Hernando
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 109

So I really would like to brew this for my next batch. As I only have 3 batches under my belt and have not gone AG yet or never done a BIAB, does the extract/steeping recipe on pg 5 look okay? What changes would be made to that recipe (if any)? Or does anyone have a good extract recipe for this beer?

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --Jack Handey
O'tega Labrewtories

Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #93
Grinch
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Planning on brewing this up on Friday and was thinking of throwing in a couple vanilla beans & cacao nibs in after about a week of fermentation. Any thoughts? I've never had the original.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #94
buckeye2011
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch
Planning on brewing this up on Friday and was thinking of throwing in a couple vanilla beans & cacao nibs in after about a week of fermentation. Any thoughts? I've never had the original.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. LHMS is already quite sweet, I would think the vanilla would make it even sweeter tasting. I find vanilla is better in a more coffee oriented dry stout. Maybe split the batch and test it.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #95
Grinch
Recipes 

Sounds good. Thank you for the advice! I was thinking it would cross over to something like Aphrodisiaque from Dieu Du Ciel (another beer I have not tried but sounds REALLY good). I haven't used either nibs or beans in my brews as of yet and I guess I'll wait for now..

Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #96
Grinch
Recipes 

just got done brewing this and ended up with 1.068 and just a bit under 5 gal in the bucket. This is my first time actually coming close to hitting the numbers... I am psyched!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #97
JerzBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
just got done brewing this and ended up with 1.068 and just a bit under 5 gal in the bucket. This is my first time actually coming close to hitting the numbers... I am psyched!!!
I brewed this up about a month ago, and it was also the first time I hit my numbers dead on.

A quick note: There was a whitish film that formed on the surface of the wort during fermentation. Initially I thought the worst: infection, wasted batch. But after searching around the forum I read that it's common to have this sort of funky film form when using adjuncts like lactose.

Just in case you guys see it and weren't aware.

It smells great, can't wait to give it a try. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by JerzBrew; 09-12-2011 at 05:49 PM. Reason: accidental, premature post

Old 09-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #98
buckeye2011
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this about 2 weeks ago and it has been the slowest fermentation I've ever had. Hit 1.068OG it's only down to 1.040. I took a reading last friday and another one today to verify that it's still dropping, but man it's taking it's time. I pitched the wort over an existing cake of US05 and figured it would take off like crazy.

Anyone else have this happen?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #99
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 848 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Got the boil on right now and this stuff smells incredible! Very chocolate-y and roasty. Going to be hard waiting for this one to be ready.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #100
Diesel48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

brewed this in April, just getting around to drinking it now. It's delicious!

Quick Reply