Jim's Oatmeal Stout #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WLP004
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 67F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
quite roasty and bitter - perhaps too much so, but has improved with age
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: Partial Mash

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 37.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

**See revised recipe and other hombrewer comments in replies below**

Mash
1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 11.76 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 11.76 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) 5.88 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) 5.88 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 5.88 %

Extract
1 lbs Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) 11.76 %
4 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) 47.06 %

Hops
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (45 min) 46.1 IBU

Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)

Yeast
Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.50 lb
60 Min @ 154.0 F

Notes
bottled with 4oz turbinado sugar

I was pretty happy with this - especially given it was only my 2nd brew ever and the 1st I crafted myself. My stout-drinking family and friends gave great reviews. I thought it was a bit too bitter myself. Next time I would decrease the hops and roasted barley and up the oatmeal.

I entered this beer in my first home brew competition. It did pretty good - averaged 32.5/50 (very good). One judge commented "A nice drinkable stout. Good roast character and nice complexity with fruit and hops". Woo-hoo!

Do you have a revised recipe put together yet?

I'm trying to find a good first-timer partial mash oatmeal stout to try out sometime in the future, after I make a red or amber ale, to knock the rust off.

Do you have a revised recipe put together yet?

I'm trying to find a good first-timer partial mash oatmeal stout to try out sometime in the future, after I make a red or amber ale, to knock the rust off.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.43 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 33.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 53.33 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 10.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
1.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 30.4 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast-Ale

Partial mash grains at 154F
Add extract late in the boil (last 15 minutes)
Consider adding a small dose of aroma hops

I brewed this one on 11/13 (almost 3 weeks in primary) and just kegged it. I was lucky enough to get a nice sample and WOW, this was my first PM and its delicious. Perfect roast character. Cant wait for it to carb up. Thanks for posting this Jim.

I brewed this one on 11/13 (almost 3 weeks in primary) and just kegged it. I was lucky enough to get a nice sample and WOW, this was my first PM and its delicious. Perfect roast character. Cant wait for it to carb up. Thanks for posting this Jim.

Awesome. Did you use the original or the revised version?

I did the revised. Its great. Has a perfect amount of Roasted B. I'm drinking a pint of it right now. Nice roasty stout, sits well with me and the fire I have going right now.

I finally got around to bottling my batch of this beer. Since I made it as a 6 gallon batch, but forgot to compensate on the dme, my OG was only 1.047. Due to laziness, it sat for almost four months in primary. I took a grav reading of 1.012 tonight, giving an ABV of 4.5%. I tasted the sample, and it was really smooth! It had absolutely no undesirable flavors. I can't wait to taste the final product!
If it's as good as the sample is suggesting, this one is definitely going into my A-list.

Kudos to JLem for creating such a nice recipe!

I finally got around to bottling my batch of this beer. Since I made it as a 6 gallon batch, but forgot to compensate on the dme, my OG was only 1.047. Due to laziness, it sat for almost four months in primary. I took a grav reading of 1.012 tonight, giving an ABV of 4.5%. I tasted the sample, and it was really smooth! It had absolutely no undesirable flavors. I can't wait to taste the final product!
If it's as good as the sample is suggesting, this one is definitely going into my A-list.

Kudos to JLem for creating such a nice recipe!

Thanks! Glad it turned out well - I can see too how some extended aging could smooth it all out. I actually haven't returned to this recipe for some time - maybe I'll add it to my fall lineup.

Did you go with the original recipe or the revised?

I went with the revised recipe. I'm going to see if I can hold off on opening one, until my birthday, in August. Probably won't happen, though...

Wow! Converted this to AG and made a split batch. Fermented 1/2 with Denny's Fav and the other half got bottle-harvested Bell's house yeast.

Both versions are amazing. Can't decide which one is better, but who cares? They're both awesome! Cheers!

JonM said:
Wow! Converted this to AG and made a split batch. Fermented 1/2 with Denny's Fav and the other half got bottle-harvested Bell's house yeast.

Both versions are amazing. Can't decide which one is better, but who cares? They're both awesome! Cheers!

Glad to know folks are enjoying this recipe. I really should brew it up again.

Curious about what the differences are between the yeasts you uses. I've never used Denny's and I've only had a couple of Bell's beers (can't get them here in MA).

The chocolate/coffee/roast flaked really shine in the Denny's batch. The Bell's one had a little more sweetness, which is really good too.

I hear American Ale II is pretty close to Bell's if you can't get it where you are.

Latest posts

Back