Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Partial - Irish Car Bomb Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
AlanS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Figured I'd update you all. I have downed two bottles of this magical stuff. I didn't get the taste I was going for, so I was kind of disappointed by my first bottle. There wasn't any vanilla detectable, and the whiskey was so faint, the only way you'd know it was there is if you knew beforehand. I let a co-worker try a bottle, and he loved it. So I tried a second last night, without any preconceived notion of what I thought it should taste like, and he's right, it is pretty freaking good...

For the next batch, and for anyone interested, I'd say at least double the Jameson, and probably triple the vanilla for the desired flavor. I'm also toying with adding some cocoa powder in with the Jameson/vanilla for an extra flavor element.

Last edited by AlanS; 04-15-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #22
indigo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm halfway through making a batch of this, and I'm very pleased so far! My OG and SG readings were very close to the original recipe, and looks like the stout alone will be about 6.3% ABV!

The initial stout recipe itself is a really thick, tasty brew, and I'm going to make another batch of just that as soon as I can get back to the shop for ingredients.

This was my second time using a carboy, and I wasn't sure what five gallons was supposed to look like, so I discovered when I transferred everything to my bottling bucket that I actually only made about 4 gallons, so that's a bit disappointing.

On the other hand, I prepared three cups of whiskey to add (I am a whiskey drinker, which is why this recipe appealed to me), so per bottle I should end up with nearly twice what the original recipe had. Patience is not my strong suit, so I'm not sure I'll be able to wait for two full weeks before I need to try this!

Last edited by indigo; 07-10-2011 at 05:41 AM. Reason: added gravity details

Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #23
GnarlyBarleyBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don’t know if it stands true with this recipe but a little whiskey goes a long way. I bumped up the bourbon in a Bourbon Porter by just a tad and it took 7 months to mellow enough to drink.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 AM   #24
indigo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Okay:

Had my first full bottle of this today, and it is simply amazing, easily the best beer I've ever tasted!

The stout is thick and chocolaty, and there's a nice whiff of vanilla each time you dive into the glass. It packs a major kick, and I estimate that, based on the number of bottles I filled, each bottle ended up with about .67 oz of whiskey in it! It is definitely stronger than your average stout, and frankly I think it's even stronger than an actual Irish Car-Bomb. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this ages over the summer, though I'll be surprised if my 36 bottles lasts that long...

This recipe is a keeper, and is going to have to become an annual tradition around here.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #25
puckjer
Recipes 

how many vanilla beans did you use for this recipe?

Old 09-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #26
indigo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think the little jar I got at the grocery store had two long beans in it. I chopped them up pretty good before I added them to the whiskey, though, to maximize contact.

Last edited by indigo; 09-07-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #27
puckjer
Recipes 

would you say that provided enough vanilla flavor? how much whiskey did you use? i am looking at going with 2 cups.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #28
newbee17
Recipes 

I'm thinking of making this but how much whiskey is 2 cups is it a ltr?

I'm gonna make this very soon using a Guinness clone and sum chocolate malt and was thinkin a ltre whiskey is this to much??

Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #29
bgs8884
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
^ I'm a total rookie, but it's my understanding that adding Bailey's will curdle the mixture. That's why the Jameson/vanilla mixture is added, to simulate the flavours of the Bailey's, without actually adding it.

$0.02
baileys curdles in actual car bombs after a few minutes.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #30
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Baileys curdles due to acid reacting with dairy.

Quick Reply