Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Imperial Bastard Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #71
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnies View Post

I'd probably need two packets though right?
Ya, I'd toss 2 in for a high gravity. That's what I did with my ten fidy clone with a 1.110 OG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #72
emarsh
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I used two packets of S-05 and it worked fine. Started quick and went crazy for days.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #73
emarsh
Recipes 

Default Yum

I brewed this in early March, pitched two packets of S-05 with OG 1.098. I had some temperature fluctuations on day 1, where it was a really warm March day in Michigan, and my apartment was 80 or so, and then got really cold (like low 50s) in the room I put the fermenter in. It took off quickly, and bubbled furiously for a week or so.

Let it sit in primary for a month before bottling in early April. Conditioned for two months, until my birthday on 6/11, and...it is delicious. Quite sweet, but not too much. Very balanced, especially for a high-gravity beer. I am going to let the rest sit for another several months (if I can bear to wait!) and see how it tastes.

I wonder how this might taste with some chocolate in the fermenter. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #74
emarsh
Recipes 

Just opened another bottle of this. Still very sweet and flavorful, if a bit bitter. It has a fairly thin mouthfeel. Any idea how to make it thicker next time?

Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #75
CyberErik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

hey guys- did anyone ever get an answer to the question about doing the whole batch as a 5 gallon boil?

I have a huge brew pot so I usually like to boil my batches altogether then add just a tiny bit of topoff water for the volume lost to boiling.

The recipe seems to call for only ~40% of the final volume in the boil and put into a fermenter with 60% cold water already in there. Don't you want the sugars and stuff to be dispersed evenly? It seems like adding a really concentrated solution to a very dilute one (i.e. empty water) is a recipe for disaster.

If you all did it though and it came out fine, I won't worry. Did you mix well on the last step?

Anyone do the whole 5 gallon boil?

I can't wait to brew this guy tomorrow. It set me back 65 which is in line with others on here.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #76
CyberErik
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made this yesterday, with a slight modification. I took out the 1/4 pound black patent and added an extra 1/4 pound roasted barley (to save cost- LHBS said should be fairly comparable given the small amount of the grain).

Steeped for 25 min, boil went uneventfully.

Cooling took a little longer than expected- 90-120 minutes to get it down to target of ~80. OG of 1.081, slightly below target but still pretty good.

Pitched at 79 degrees F, fermentation started at 3 hours and has been going furiously into the blowoff tube this morning.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #77
nckgibbons
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Just brewed it yesterday, got a 1.09 OG and needed my first blow off tube!

So excited

Old 06-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #78
christyle
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberErik View Post
Made this yesterday, with a slight modification. I took out the 1/4 pound black patent and added an extra 1/4 pound roasted barley (to save cost- LHBS said should be fairly comparable given the small amount of the grain).

Steeped for 25 min, boil went uneventfully.

Cooling took a little longer than expected- 90-120 minutes to get it down to target of ~80. OG of 1.081, slightly below target but still pretty good.

Pitched at 79 degrees F, fermentation started at 3 hours and has been going furiously into the blowoff tube this morning.
Looks like nobody responded, did you do a 5 gallon boil?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #79
emarsh
Recipes 

I just opened one of these that I brewed in March 2013, so it's been sitting in the bottle for a little over a year. WOW! Age works some wonders on this already delicious beer. Save it if you can.

Quick Reply