Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Imperial Bastard Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #31
EA18Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Is there any issue with making this a full boil with 5 gallons? Or should I just keep it at a 2 gal boil?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #32
billsquared
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA18Brewer View Post
Is there any issue with making this a full boil with 5 gallons? Or should I just keep it at a 2 gal boil?
I brewed this tonight, such a great color for the wort! Glad I was watching it like a hawk when it came back to a boil after adding the extracts, because another 30 seconds of heat and I'd have had an awful mess on my hands. Boil-over is definitely to be watched with this one. EA18, even without sparging the grains, all of the extracts brings it to just under 3 gal at the start of the boil -- my 4 gal pot barely held it together.

I ended up giving the grains 25 minutes, mostly because I was waiting for the Lovely & Talented to return from the grocery store with the dark brown sugar. I set this with a blow-off tube right from the word go due to the comments above, hopefully it stays put. Looking forward to giving it a first taste in 10 days!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #33
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsquared View Post
I brewed this tonight, such a great color for the wort! Glad I was watching it like a hawk when it came back to a boil after adding the extracts, because another 30 seconds of heat and I'd have had an awful mess on my hands. Boil-over is definitely to be watched with this one. EA18, even without sparging the grains, all of the extracts brings it to just under 3 gal at the start of the boil -- my 4 gal pot barely held it together.

I ended up giving the grains 25 minutes, mostly because I was waiting for the Lovely & Talented to return from the grocery store with the dark brown sugar. I set this with a blow-off tube right from the word go due to the comments above, hopefully it stays put. Looking forward to giving it a first taste in 10 days!
Just some advice, having brewed this beer before, but you really ought to let it sit on the yeast for 3-4 weeks. Best thing you can do for it. With this recipe, I let it sit on the yeast for a month and then bottle it. The bottles from my first batch of it are about 8 months old and they taste amazing. It really needs time though, so consider letting it sit.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #34
billsquared
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcastil View Post
Just some advice, having brewed this beer before, but you really ought to let it sit on the yeast for 3-4 weeks. Best thing you can do for it. With this recipe, I let it sit on the yeast for a month and then bottle it. The bottles from my first batch of it are about 8 months old and they taste amazing. It really needs time though, so consider letting it sit.
Thanks for the advice. Giving it more time actually works with my schedule, so hurray.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #35
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I still have a couple of bottles that are 3 months old now that I'm saving for a special occasion. Fantastic stuff, guys.

Going to brew this again as a pm now that I have the equipment for it and save them for winter time.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 06-22-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
drummerboyas157
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This beer looks great i am going to brew it next. Just waiting for my current one to get out of my 7.5gal bucket to have room for extra spillover. Hows everyone liking it? Any pictures?

Old 06-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #37
VipertheIV
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I really would like to see a pic. I'm intrigued.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #38
drummerboyas157
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just made this today. It was on the pricey side at the brew store I spent about 65$. But it always seems like I spend that much on stouts. Anyway it was fun to make. Now we will see how it turns out 2 months from now. I ended up with a OG of about 1.082 And thats after i added around a pound extra of dark liquid malt because i always seem to come up short on every recipe... idk why I top it off to 5 and its always low but adding a 1/2-1lb extra seems to work for me.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #39
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboyas157 View Post
Just made this today. It was on the pricey side at the brew store I spent about 65$. But it always seems like I spend that much on stouts. Anyway it was fun to make. Now we will see how it turns out 2 months from now. I ended up with a OG of about 1.082 And thats after i added around a pound extra of dark liquid malt because i always seem to come up short on every recipe... idk why I top it off to 5 and its always low but adding a 1/2-1lb extra seems to work for me.
I have four bombers left from last November and I really wish that I'd let the entire batch sit for a year. They are fantastic.

Just make sure that you get good oxygenation, pitch an appropriate amount of healthy cells, and control your fermentation temps.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #40
drummerboyas157
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Man fermentation is going crazy i wonder how much beer im going to lose i have a blow off tube set up and the bowl of water it goes into is already a dark brown and its the first 24hrs still

Quick Reply