Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Extract - Imperial Bastard Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #21
Linkin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Brewed this up last night with a little modification. My boil batch was 2.5 gallons and I steeped for 30 min. My OG was only 1.078 though, and when I typed the recipe in several calculators I got OG's anywhere from 1.075- 1.088, nowhere near 1.099. So I'm not sure what went different there...
I may also change the fermentation times to 1-1.5 weeks primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3-4 weeks bottle.
This smells awesome already and I can't wait until its ready!
[first post!] I just brewed this and, similarly, hit 1.077 for an OG, nowhere near the 1.099 in the recipe. The only way I can reconcile this is after accounting for boil-off in the recipe as written (i.e., boiling 2 gallons and topping off with 3), you actually would probably only end up with 4 gallons (I topped off to 5) which might account for the discrepancy in gravity.

Anyways, fermentation has just begun and it smells great. I will update with final results.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #22
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this recipe earlier this evening and it worked out pretty well. My original gravity was 1.090, but I used a larger quantity of brown sugar than the recipe called for. I'm planning to let this sit for a while - either going to rack to a secondary for some extended aging or bottle-condition for an equally long time. I'd really like to see how it turns out in 6-8 months or so.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #23
roxy35
Recipes 

Wow, this looks amazing. I love Stouts, however my wife hates them. I'm thinking of just cutting everything in half and brewing about 2.5 gallons. Would it be safe just to cut the ingredients list in half? Also, while I love stouts, I'm pretty I will be the only one drinking them.

Has anyone priced this out to see what it costs?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #24
Nukinfuts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I brewed this last night. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Very aggressive fermentation. Had to use a blow off tube and still looks scary. Didn't really see any airlock activity for about 11 hours. 18 hours later and she is rockin and rolling. I steeped it for 25 min, everything else was by the book. My original gravity was 1.090, guess I got lucky.

Cost $43.00 with tax.

Last edited by Nukinfuts; 02-24-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #25
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brewed this bad boy last night. 1.082 with several mishaps. Might call it cursed bastard stout instead.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #26
Nukinfuts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Brewed this bad boy last night. 1.082 with several mishaps. Might call it cursed bastard stout instead.
How is your fermentation going? Mine was crazy aggressive after about 11 hrs, but noticed that the temp was pushing 80*. Put it in a swamp cooler, temp is now 70* but airlock activity pretty much stopped. Getting somewhat concerned.

What kind of mishaps did you have? Just curious.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #27
SoupNazi
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Grains and extract spilled in bag. Pot boiled over. Drain valve was open during transfer. Smack pack exploded during smacking. And plenty more went wrong!

Fermentation was fairly aggressive, non stop bubbles when I got home monday. Going to put an air lock on it tonight.

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? Did i tell you to put the balm on?"

Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #28
Nukinfuts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Grains and extract spilled in bag. Pot boiled over. Drain valve was open during transfer. Smack pack exploded during smacking. And plenty more went wrong!

Fermentation was fairly aggressive, non stop bubbles when I got home monday. Going to put an air lock on it tonight.
Damn Bro, sounds like you had a bad brew. That will make it more enjoyable when it's ready to drink.

I had a hard time keeping it from boiling over too. Had to really keep an eye on it.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #29
Booyamachine
Recipes 

Just cracked open a bottle of this (too early but I couldn't stand the wait!). It is AWESOME!

Thanks for the recipe, can't wait to share this once it's ready.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:16 AM   #30
Nukinfuts
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have one batch of this carbing in the keg and one still in the fermenter. Can't wait to try it. Looked and smelled so good.

Last edited by Nukinfuts; 03-09-2012 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply