Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #81
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Netflyer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Benedict Maryland
Posts: 812
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default


I sour for 4 days and then add to my weekend batch. I boil before I add... No, you can't add it at bottling time...

The recipe has you doing this well beforehand and freezing but I'm not that organized and my freezer is full of hops..

Now, this isn't tested by me, but I have been told by my local HBS that a pinch of grain in the guiness will sour it faster. Again, untested by me...

__________________
Primaries:


Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Netflyer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #82
Freezeblade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,415
Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
I sour for 4 days and then add to my weekend batch. I boil before I add... No, you can't add it at bottling time...

The recipe has you doing this well beforehand and freezing but I'm not that organized and my freezer is full of hops..

Now, this isn't tested by me, but I have been told by my local HBS that a pinch of grain in the guiness will sour it faster. Again, untested by me...
I threw a drop of sourdough starter into some unfermented wort, took off like a rocket, added a nice twang.
__________________
Primary:Russian River Redemption clone, Kelly's Melomel, Graham's English Cider 22-23
Clearing:Apple Wine
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn
Freezeblade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #83
chelero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 184
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default


OK, here's a dumb question. I started looking at some SRM cards, and..is 24SRM dark enough? I know guinness isn't pitch black, but man that 24 srm card looks pretty light brown

__________________
chelero is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #84
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Netflyer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Benedict Maryland
Posts: 812
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default


Actually, Guiness considers their stout dark dark red... so I wouldn't worry..

__________________
Primaries:


Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Netflyer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #85
patrck17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ocala, Fl.
Posts: 409
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default


It pours pretty dark, I'd give a better description but all I am pouring now are black n tans, so the color gets skewed. Drinking it now (again black n tan with my pale ale), it is outstanding. I overshot my gravity by a lot and you can tell, 2 of these and I am plenty buzzed. Will definately make this one again. It is good stuff. Hey Netflyer how do you like the bottington clone of Orfy's?

__________________

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

patrck17 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #86
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Netflyer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Benedict Maryland
Posts: 812
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck17 View Post
Hey Netflyer how do you like the bottington clone of Orfy's?
Made my second batch of Orfy's Boddingtons Bitter two weekends ago- I can't remember when I've brewed a 2nd batch so soon after the first and it was by multiple requests. I like it
__________________
Primaries:


Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Netflyer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #87
gunner11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Thomas, KY
Posts: 52
Default


Gave this recipe a shot yesterday. My first all-grain. I am interested to see how it turns out. Hit 1.060 but I am a little worried about some oxidation as the 2.0oz of EKG kept stopping up the spigot on my brew kettle, nearly stopping the flow. Ended up having to pour about 3 of the 5 gallons directly into the 6 gallon better bottle through a funnel. Quite a bit of the hops ended up in the primary. Pitched Notty so time will tell. Should I be worried?

__________________
gunner11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #88
jgourd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 816
Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner11 View Post
Gave this recipe a shot yesterday. My first all-grain. I am interested to see how it turns out. Hit 1.060 but I am a little worried about some oxidation as the 2.0oz of EKG kept stopping up the spigot on my brew kettle, nearly stopping the flow. Ended up having to pour about 3 of the 5 gallons directly into the 6 gallon better bottle through a funnel. Quite a bit of the hops ended up in the primary. Pitched Notty so time will tell. Should I be worried?
Oxygen prior to primary fermentation is your friend. It's once you've fermented that it can be a bad thing. So in regards to having introduced a lot of O2 while transferring your beer to the primary fermenter, no worries. And hops in the primary is no big deal. Sometimes I use a strainer or cheese cloth (sanitized) when transferring my beer from kettle to primary. Just get your fermenter to wherever you will rack it to secondary or bottle a few hours prior to let everything settle. Then be careful when racking to get as little of the hops as possible.
__________________
jgourd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #89
gunner11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Thomas, KY
Posts: 52
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourd View Post
Oxygen prior to primary fermentation is your friend. It's once you've fermented that it can be a bad thing. So in regards to having introduced a lot of O2 while transferring your beer to the primary fermenter, no worries. And hops in the primary is no big deal. Sometimes I use a strainer or cheese cloth (sanitized) when transferring my beer from kettle to primary. Just get your fermenter to wherever you will rack it to secondary or bottle a few hours prior to let everything settle. Then be careful when racking to get as little of the hops as possible.
Thanks! Patiently waiting for the Notty to start its work. Been about 6 hours. Pitched at 64F and air temp in the basement where the primary is, is 62F.
__________________
gunner11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #90
gunner11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fort Thomas, KY
Posts: 52
Default


WOOOO HOOOOO! Just checked my blow off and it is bip/burping every 15 seconds or so. I am pumped!

__________________
gunner11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
guinness draught clone spottedbass Recipes/Ingredients 16 06-17-2010 03:00 AM
Guinness Draught Bottles JMSetzler Bottling/Kegging 10 11-14-2009 06:54 PM
Guinness Clone nickjam Extract Brewing 10 12-04-2008 11:55 PM
guinness clone ESROHDE Bottling/Kegging 1 06-01-2008 02:01 PM