Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #81
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I sour for 4 days and then add to my weekend batch. I boil before I add... No, you can't add it at bottling time...

The recipe has you doing this well beforehand and freezing but I'm not that organized and my freezer is full of hops..

Now, this isn't tested by me, but I have been told by my local HBS that a pinch of grain in the guiness will sour it faster. Again, untested by me...

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #82
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
I sour for 4 days and then add to my weekend batch. I boil before I add... No, you can't add it at bottling time...

The recipe has you doing this well beforehand and freezing but I'm not that organized and my freezer is full of hops..

Now, this isn't tested by me, but I have been told by my local HBS that a pinch of grain in the guiness will sour it faster. Again, untested by me...
I threw a drop of sourdough starter into some unfermented wort, took off like a rocket, added a nice twang.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 03-04-2010, 01:20 PM   #83
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, here's a dumb question. I started looking at some SRM cards, and..is 24SRM dark enough? I know guinness isn't pitch black, but man that 24 srm card looks pretty light brown

Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #84
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Actually, Guiness considers their stout dark dark red... so I wouldn't worry..

Kegged:

Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #85
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It pours pretty dark, I'd give a better description but all I am pouring now are black n tans, so the color gets skewed. Drinking it now (again black n tan with my pale ale), it is outstanding. I overshot my gravity by a lot and you can tell, 2 of these and I am plenty buzzed. Will definately make this one again. It is good stuff. Hey Netflyer how do you like the bottington clone of Orfy's?

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 AM   #86
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck17 View Post
Hey Netflyer how do you like the bottington clone of Orfy's?
Made my second batch of Orfy's Boddingtons Bitter two weekends ago- I can't remember when I've brewed a 2nd batch so soon after the first and it was by multiple requests. I like it

Kegged:

Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM   #87
gunner11
Recipes 

Gave this recipe a shot yesterday. My first all-grain. I am interested to see how it turns out. Hit 1.060 but I am a little worried about some oxidation as the 2.0oz of EKG kept stopping up the spigot on my brew kettle, nearly stopping the flow. Ended up having to pour about 3 of the 5 gallons directly into the 6 gallon better bottle through a funnel. Quite a bit of the hops ended up in the primary. Pitched Notty so time will tell. Should I be worried?

Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #88
jgourd
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner11 View Post
Gave this recipe a shot yesterday. My first all-grain. I am interested to see how it turns out. Hit 1.060 but I am a little worried about some oxidation as the 2.0oz of EKG kept stopping up the spigot on my brew kettle, nearly stopping the flow. Ended up having to pour about 3 of the 5 gallons directly into the 6 gallon better bottle through a funnel. Quite a bit of the hops ended up in the primary. Pitched Notty so time will tell. Should I be worried?
Oxygen prior to primary fermentation is your friend. It's once you've fermented that it can be a bad thing. So in regards to having introduced a lot of O2 while transferring your beer to the primary fermenter, no worries. And hops in the primary is no big deal. Sometimes I use a strainer or cheese cloth (sanitized) when transferring my beer from kettle to primary. Just get your fermenter to wherever you will rack it to secondary or bottle a few hours prior to let everything settle. Then be careful when racking to get as little of the hops as possible.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #89
gunner11
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourd View Post
Oxygen prior to primary fermentation is your friend. It's once you've fermented that it can be a bad thing. So in regards to having introduced a lot of O2 while transferring your beer to the primary fermenter, no worries. And hops in the primary is no big deal. Sometimes I use a strainer or cheese cloth (sanitized) when transferring my beer from kettle to primary. Just get your fermenter to wherever you will rack it to secondary or bottle a few hours prior to let everything settle. Then be careful when racking to get as little of the hops as possible.
Thanks! Patiently waiting for the Notty to start its work. Been about 6 hours. Pitched at 64F and air temp in the basement where the primary is, is 62F.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #90
gunner11
Recipes 

WOOOO HOOOOO! Just checked my blow off and it is bip/burping every 15 seconds or so. I am pumped!

Quick Reply