Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #71
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Why are you step mashing? The recipe doesn't call for it...

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 06:57 PM   #72
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I'm using the mash schedule from the magazine article (BYO Sep 08')
Its just adds one extra step with temp at 120 at the start

TD

Old 02-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #73
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

With these modified malts you don't need to do that. This here was made to be a simple recipe it turns out beyond amazing, why mess with Ri's mash schedule? Keep it simple, this one is amazing as is...

Kegged:

Old 02-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #74
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I thought Guiness draft was 125 cals/12oz. A 1.053 beer wouldn't be that low.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 AM   #75
TrickyDick

Recipes 

I'll let you all know how it turned out. Next time I'll try the recipe here, as it sounds like a great one. Wished I had seen it before this brew was planned.

However, I'd still appreciate any insight as to why my mash temp targets might have been off.

RH

Old 02-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #76
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
With these modified malts you don't need to do that. This here was made to be a simple recipe it turns out beyond amazing, why mess with Ri's mash schedule? Keep it simple, this one is amazing as is...
I am not so sure that flaked and roasted barley can be considered modified. The main portion of my grist however, is.

I love Guinness and no doubt I will be trying the recipe posted here next time I brew one, which for me is once a year. However, if I end up picking up the Nitro kit this weekend, I may have to try again sooner

TD

Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #77
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

TD, read back through this thread a bit - I was wondering about the BYO schedule too, convinced myself to try RiClarkes because 25% non-modified was right on the cusp of needing the early rest. I was convinced by others that the flaked was pressed and the enzymes were present and therefore didn't need the rest. I think if you scroll back you can see someone did follow the BYO mash and wasn't happy w/the results. The BYO ratio of Barley Malt to Flaked to Roasted is slightly different than this clone also. Again, in this thread people tried that and weren't as happy. So I figured I'd stick to the RiClarke method since he was working at it a good while. Sour the Guiness and one rest at 154F and the beer is really spot on only better cause it is fresh!

Kegged:

Old 02-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #78
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post
TD, read back through this thread a bit - I was wondering about the BYO schedule too, convinced myself to try RiClarkes because 25% non-modified was right on the cusp of needing the early rest. I was convinced by others that the flaked was pressed and the enzymes were present and therefore didn't need the rest. I think if you scroll back you can see someone did follow the BYO mash and wasn't happy w/the results. The BYO ratio of Barley Malt to Flaked to Roasted is slightly different than this clone also. Again, in this thread people tried that and weren't as happy. So I figured I'd stick to the RiClarke method since he was working at it a good while. Sour the Guiness and one rest at 154F and the beer is really spot on only better cause it is fresh!
Which version of commercial Guinness was used for the souring? Can, Widget Bottle, or the Foreign Extra Stout? I assume the can or widget bottle.

I may try this recipe next, I'm intrigued. Though, right now, I doubt I could hit a Mash target to save my life!

TD

By the way, wanted to point out in case it wasn't obvious, earlier in the thread someone posted a nice link for an old BYO article detailing brewery and Guinness process. The "sources" I used for my recipe were (mostly) BYO magazine Clone recipes for 150 popular beers, AND their Sep 2008 issue which has an article by Jamil Zainasheff about Dry Stout (comparing the big 3 from Ireland Guinness,Beamish, and Murphy's) and giving tips on how best to replicate these styles. In this article, he advocates crushing the roasted Barley (500SRM by the way) into POWDER using a coffee grinder. The mash schedule is like I listed above, though I deviated slightly from his grain bill , his has a lower % flaked barley than mine and more pale malt and higher OG (target 1.041) My target was 1.038 but I hit 1.048 - oh well.... He lists the recipes as "style" rather than Clone..

Gotta run

TD

Last edited by TrickyDick; 02-27-2010 at 03:14 PM.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #79
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I used the Extra Stout... just cause I had some... This clone is for the Draught but since I don't have a Nitrogen tap I just primed with DME and it came out great. I have another two bottles souring now and plan to brew another batch of this on Sat.

Kegged:

Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #80
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love the idea of souring with cans of guinness. my question is, can you sour them and add at bottling time? mostly cause i'm brewing tomorrow, and I just saw you recommend souring beforehand and adding to the boil!! either way, I'm brewing tomorrow. maybe I'll just have to try this next time

Quick Reply