Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 AM   #31
1nitrous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

brewed this on friday, we will see how it taste in a few weeks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #32
jcdillin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this on Saturday and I just took a hydro sample yesterday to check it's progress and it was already down to 1.019 and the taste is just amazing. Mine turned out a bit more brown than black but the taste was spot on.

I'm very glad I made 12 gallons of it, thanks for the recipie!

Current Rig
4.5KW E-HLT
5.5KW E-Kettle
MasterFlex Peristaltic Primary Pump
March Secondary Pump
Therminator for Chilling

Planned
Automated Grain Drop
Automated Hop Dropper

System controlled via BrewTroller

Old 11-30-2009, 09:30 PM   #33
BunzoBrew
Recipes 

Mine was more brown than black also. Are there varying colors for different types of roasted? I have heard 300 and 500 SRM variations and I remember I got the 300. I see this recipe calls for the 300 type.

Then again a guinness draught is kinda brown...

Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #34
kristfin
Recipes 

is there any reason why this is 10 days in primary and then 10 in secondary. cannot i just have it for 14-21 days in primary?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdillin View Post
On mine I didn't want it to be too sweet so I mashed at 154, that way I still get some body but should end up a bit drier.
And did you boil the sour Guinness separate or add it to the full boil??

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #36
Lodovico
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Are two packets of Nottingham necessary for a 1.053 OG?? Just seems that 1 would be enough for this but I may be missing something.

I'm going to brew this, this weekend. Thanks.

On Draft: Mild
On Draft: IPA
On Draft: Belgian Pale Ale
In Bottle: Brett Porter
In Bottle: Flanders Red
In Bottle: Oud Bruin
Fermentor: Biere De Garde
Fermentor: Belgian Amber Ale

Old 12-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #37
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodovico View Post
Are two packets of Nottingham necessary for a 1.053 OG?? Just seems that 1 would be enough for this but I may be missing something.

I'm going to brew this, this weekend. Thanks.
1 should be fine...careful with the nottingham isnt this the type that was having some bad batches? I would make sure to create a starter before pitching.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
1nitrous
Recipes 

I have let this age a bit in the keg tasting it once a week or so, it is a good stout, but even with nitro, it is not a true clone, just my 2 cents

Old 12-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #39
kitemanks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have nitro too, and N2 can change the flavor abit I've noticed. What's your opinnion of the beer and can you list your method please for comparison and vaulting.

I have always thought that the way most of us like to brew ie. using higher gravitys and higher temps this recipe wont work until a few dextrines and a little roastiness is taken out, (by using 75% carafa II to 25% roasted).

After trying to clone Guinness time after time I wanted to discount the simple formulation from the article on page 2 of this post so I went ahead and brewed it. I used the exact brewery ratio of pale,flaked, and roast, listed. I also used the exact brewery temps and times listed and wow that was a rather long protien rest. When mashing I thought "that smells way to dark!" after fermentation I had to get a sip while transfering to the keg because the smell had mellowed. Wow it was mild not as mild as Guinness but the brew was young, and.... N2 changes the flavor a bit. I ended up culturing yeast from the guiness I was going to sour and didn't like what I got. So the beer is un-soured.

I'm going to take this brew put it on "beer gas" and, this may sound wierd, mix some pure malt vinegar in and see if I can get close tasting Guinness and this side by side. I plan to start by using an eye dropper for the vinegar at first to see if it is even possible. This method of using the vinegar for the sour is much more measureable and repeatable. I'm afraid I might win a Darwin award though if it goes wrong, but I'm not to worried since I will be starting the experiment using a glass at a time and work up from there. I just want to try everything I can think of to get to that special sour taste that they get from the extract that they add to the finished product.

Last edited by kitemanks; 12-23-2009 at 12:07 AM.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #40
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitemanks View Post

After trying to clone Guinness time after time I wanted to discount the simple formulation from the article on page 2 of this post so I went ahead and brewed it. I used the exact brewery ratio of pale,flaked, and roast, listed. I also used the exact brewery temps and times listed and wow that was a rather long protien rest.
I'm glad I read your post, I was thinking about those ratios after reading that article also. But before I did it I read it again and dude, it says raw barley, not flaked. So, unprocessed would need the long protein rest at what was it? 135 for 75 min I think... then a second at like 153 for 45. But we are using flaked, that is not raw is it? So it doesn't need the early rest. But I could be wrong!! If we are using what they consider raw and flaked is the same as raw then we SHOULD be thinking of that initial rest. But this clone doesn't have that rest and uses flaked and so many people like this recipe I think rather than waste my time with the ratio's from the article (and don't forget it said ABOUT 65 - 25 - 10 not EXACTLY 65 - 25 - 10) I'll follow the outlaw brew method - Thanks Riclarke, I mean he said he had been 'working' at this and others have confirmed the souring of guiness as a confirmed good try at the guiness 'secret' ingredient.
My only change will be to use Irish Ale Yeast 1084 (Wyeast) and I'll make a starter 24 hrs before... I'll not freeze the sour beer, but instead pasteurize and add it to the 0-time wort... Brewing this on Sunday if the weather co-operates.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Quick Reply