Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #221
cncmoose
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by machfive55 View Post
I agree with kitemanks here, and I have the BJCP judge comments to prove it I entered this recipe in nationals and a couple local comps and got a lot of comments that it was a decent beer but had an astringency that took away from the beer, I attribute this to the darker malts. I don't oversparge or anything, my water is moderately hard.

In my opinion, the BJCP guidelines state the beer should be noticeably bitter and the astringency is not necessary a flaw, nonetheless I got dinged pretty hard for it. In fact the BJCP guidelines list Guiness as an acceptable commercial example of the style, yet, I do not get the bitterness and astringency in the Guiness like the guidelines state. Therefore, I think that many judges are using their taste memory of Guiness when judging dry stouts, and Guiness is just smooth with a very, very, very subtle astringency.

So, for my next version I'm going to cut back on the roasted and use some debittered instead. I like the simplicity of the original recipe, however, my thoughts are that its not quite spot on.
I'm a little late to the party but, I'm wondering if instead of including the roast barley in the mash it was put into the mash when starting to increase the temp to mash out if that would help alleviate some of the astringency. I may be wrong but I don’t think the roast barley actually needs to be mashed. Any thoughts? The down side is that it would need to be crushed separately.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #222
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this last weekend. Someone noted that the color would not be as dark as Guiness and I agree. I used 1 ounce of EKG and a little of my homegrown Willamette. I soured some beer, but it was difficult to tell if it was really sour or not - didn't smell too much different! I put it in my cellar to be out of the way so may have been 65F or so. Also I don't batch sparge, so came up with 1.062 as I recall. I think my mash was around 152 or 153. I plan to put this on nitrogen and just bought a diffusion stone for that. I've made this before but with the recipe using acidulated grain.

Cheers.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #223
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I read almost everything in here and a lot of you are talking about the missing creamyness taste without the nitrogen. Would it be possible to do a longer protein rest (lets say 2 hours) and add about 0.5lbs of lactose? I know it is not a cream stout but I am guessing 0.5lb would not make such a great difference in a 5gal brew.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #224
shaigl
Recipes 

thanks for this great recipe! i brewed it a week ago and now waiting for it to fermant.
differences in the making:
10gallon batch

7kg crisp maris otter (around 15.4 lbs)
3kg flaked barley (6.6 lbs)
1kg roasted barley (2.2 lbs)

yeasts: s-04

hops are the same.

mashed at 67C (152.6F)
sparged at 78C (172F)

OG at 1052-1053

fermanted 6 days in 16.5C (61.7F), 48hours into primary i took 600ml samples from each of the 5gallon batch and let them sit outside for 4 days, boiled, cooled, poured it back in - mixed (each sample went to the other batch for mixed flavours).
gravity was kinda stuck at 1022 so i took it up to 19C gardually (66.2F) today. (6 days into primary).
after a lot of thoughts, ive decided to keep it for another 2.5 weeks in the primary without a seondary and then bottle.
all in all the colour is beautiful and taste is amazing! (a bit bitter but im guessing it will smooth out, still a young batch)

thanks again for the amazing recipe!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #225
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I'm happy to note that this is the first beer I used a diffusion stone with nitrogen. What a difference. This was ready to drink with a creamy head in one day! Taste was well balanced, some coffee and dark chocolate notes. My FSG was high. 1.018 as I recall from an OSG of 1.062. My wife says its not as light as Guiness. I said that was an understatement. It could dry out a bit as it ages I suppose. But tastes fine the way it is.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #226
The_Nid_Hog
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Has anybody just added 24 oz of a conventional sour beer rather than souring a couple of bottles of stout? I would think that the results with 24 oz of Guinness soured on my kitchen island will be a little more inconsistent than if I just poured a bottle of Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabeza or something like that into the kettle.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:36 AM   #227
DrBuzz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I believe someone soured a light beer with success late in the posts. Your looking for the "vinegar" from the bacteria before you pasteurize it with a 10 minute boil before adding to your batch.

I want to know if anyone tried to actually add the roasted barley in the boil. The reason I ask is because there was a lot of talk about colour and astringency. I think the roasted barley in the boil will really affect taste and colour.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #228
TrickyDick

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 30

See the very recent Zymurgy article about Irish beer and brewing water. There is an interesting veiled reference as to what the Guinness Essence is.
I will be trying that method very very soon.

TD

Old 01-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #229
DrBuzz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Provide the link?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #230
Math0
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mashing at 170F is way too high with 24oz of sour guinness. Maybe for a last sparge it would be fine though. I would do 2 sparge too. I added 1.5 oz of cocoa and 0.5lb of lactose in the last minute of the boil. Added 110g of dextrose for priming for a 5gal batch. This beer is amazing. Even without nitrogen.

Quick Reply