Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #201
sroberts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonestarHB View Post
For the record, this is the best beer I have made to date. Smooth and very very close to the real thing. This will be in the regular rotation in my brew house for sure. Thanks for all the great info and helping me improve my technique.. Next up cream of three crops..
Great to hear! Did you use the recipe from post #1?

I used a protein rest, first time I've done this:
Protein rest: 75min @ 135F
Sachrification: 45min @ 152F

After about 2 weeks in the bottle mine is developing quite nicely. I hope I'll be able to keep some around for a while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #202
LonestarHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes post one is what I did, mashed at 152 and both the OG and FG were spot on. I did over sparge about a quarter gallon more than called for but it turned out fine

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #203
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming102
1 Week before brewing put 24oz of Guiness in a bowl and sit it on the counter for 4 days to get sour. Freeze until brew day, On brew day remove and thaw. When there is about 10 mins left in your Boil put the sour guiness in the kettle.
I've seen the note before to leave 24oz Guinness on the counter to sour. Do I just leave it in a bowl? Cover with Saran Wrap? Store in a Erlenmeyer flask?

What do I have to do to keep it safe? Or does it not matter because I boil it anyway?

Sorry to go back so far in the thread. Questions don't arise until you are getting ready to brew, I guess...

Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #204
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I put mine in a sterilized quart mason jar with the lid just laying on top for 5 days.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #205
freisste
Recipes 

Great. That is exactly what I was going to try. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #206
sroberts
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I just poured mine in a bowl with some plastic wrap and a few holes poked in it, left it on the counter for 4 days, then put it in the fridge for a couple of days since my brewday was delayed. I used 12oz of Extra Stout and that seems to have worked well.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #207
freisste
Recipes 

That was my first plan, but I was afraid I would end up spilling to much trying to pour out of a bowl...

Everything I have seen called for 24 oz of regular Guinness. You don't by chance have experience with both 24 oz of reg AND 12 oz of extra stout, do you? Even if not, how did your version come out?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #208
sroberts
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not sure how you'd spill any - you'll end up dumping it in your brewpot. This is the first time I've done the recipe - I planned to use Guinness draught though couldn't find a single can or bottle for sale and the 6-pack was big $. Funny thing, I was at the QuikTrip gas station, they had the 24oz Extra Stout for $2.50 or so, in a refillable bottle. :-)

My LHBS guru said any type of beer would work the same since it develops the same sourness. But I wanted to stick to the recipe as much as possible.

My first impression of the beer after 10 days in the bottle was that it was too light in body, but my first impression is almost always wrong. Guinness is light in body also and I think when mine carbs more fully and ages a bit more it will be great.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #209
freisste
Recipes 

Good buy on the extra stout. I love stumbling across deals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
I'm not sure how you'd spill any - you'll end up dumping it in your brewpot.
I planned on souring for four days, but not necessarily starting four days prior to brew day. I was going to pour it into a bag or jar to freeze and I find that the wide brim of a bowl makes spilling easy. Kinda clumsy, I guess. Anyway, the jar makes everything especially easy because it eliminates a transfer.

Thanks for the info on your preliminary results, too. Cheers!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #210
JOE_R
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nitrous View Post
I have let this age a bit in the keg tasting it once a week or so, it is a good stout, but even with nitro, it is not a true clone, just my 2 cents
I made a sweet stout on 08/2012. I placed some hydrated EC-1118 in the bottling bucket. It has taken up until this past weekend to bottle condition. It was just plain FLAT. I got a little frustrated one week earlier and threw some in a keg and force carbed it. Just CO2. The head was textbook creaminess. I haven't had time to hook it up to the nitro. I think the EC1118 may be responsible for this creamy head. Also I used Irish Ale yeast and got a barely noticeable sour taste. I can just imagine how it will be out of my Guiness Stout faucet. (I just got the Kegerator, double faucet, nitro and CO2 tanks 3 weeks ago)

Quick Reply