Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #191
JohanMk1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Looks like this will be my first AGish brew. Due to a lack of equipment I am probably going to do a half batch BIAB.

Locally it look slike the nottingham yeast is the only option, should I manage to track down a WLP004 would I have to get a starter going?

Constructive advice and input is obviously welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #192
HenryVance3
Recipes 

Yeast use is a mixed bag. I am not married to the specific yeast for a recipe unless it is a high gravity and I need more attenuation. I would consider what temp you will be able to control for picking a specific yeast.

"Are you going to be working on your brew stuff? Yes honey I am going to be working on my brew stuff."

Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #193
BillBeer247
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

has anyone tried this recipe with cold steeping the roasted grain?

Old 08-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #194
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryVance3 View Post
I would consider what temp you will be able to control for picking a specific yeast.
Now that makes a ton of sense, Thanks.

I'm picking up the ingredients for this tomorrow

Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #195
LonestarHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just pitched this, was my first all grain. Mashed at 152 which ended up working but was two degrees hotter than planned. I did two starters LHBS was out of British II so I spit this into 3 separate batches. One with Nottingham and 1056, one with American ale and Safale05, and the last pitched from the envelope of Safale05. Since I hit my gravity I wanted to see which profile I liked better. All in all a great first time all grain. Thanks for all the great info

Old 09-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #196
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is my second time brewing this. I cut back a little on the base malt to lower the gravity. I mashed 150-151 for 90 min. Boiled nearly 90 min, added 12 oz of soured stout at about 1 min to flameout. I pitched and it's been about 4 days since then and fermentation seems complete...I used WLP090. I drew a cup out to use for making some espresso stout brownies. Here is where I want some reassurance. The flavor is pretty sharp, almost acidic, then roasty and finally bitter. I know it's really young. Please tell me its going to mellow out. I think my thin mash may leave it too dry. My backup plan is to boil and add a little maltodextrin if it's too thin and dry.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:16 AM   #197
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
This is my second time brewing this. I cut back a little on the base malt to lower the gravity. I mashed 150-151 for 90 min. Boiled nearly 90 min, added 12 oz of soured stout at about 1 min to flameout. I pitched and it's been about 4 days since then and fermentation seems complete...I used WLP090. I drew a cup out to use for making some espresso stout brownies. Here is where I want some reassurance. The flavor is pretty sharp, almost acidic, then roasty and finally bitter. I know it's really young. Please tell me its going to mellow out. I think my thin mash may leave it too dry. My backup plan is to boil and add a little maltodextrin if it's too thin and dry.
You can't expect it to be amazing after 4 days and really, if it started at 1.055ish 4 days and the yeast is still workin' hard :-) Let it go 21 days and then keg or bottle it for at least 3 weeks but I'd wait a month. I just made my latest batch last weekend, I didn't cut it back and finished 5.75 gallons at 1.057, used 1084 yeast. I raise the fermentation temp at the end to reduce diacytl to 71 from 65... then after a a few days at 71 back to 65 for the next two weeks... I make this all the time and I never secondary it, I don't use sour beer in mine because I like the taste of the recipe w/out it..

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #198
sroberts
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbethenstein View Post
...The flavor is pretty sharp, almost acidic, then roasty and finally bitter. I know it's really young. Please tell me its going to mellow out..
I just tried a sample after 2 weeks of fermentation - just about every green beer I try has the same sour overtones and after-taste and this one is no exception. Aside from that it does taste like Guinness draught less the creaminess, and I expect it'll be a pretty good beer in about 6 weeks.

Steve

Old 09-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #199
LonestarHB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For the record, this is the best beer I have made to date. Smooth and very very close to the real thing. This will be in the regular rotation in my brew house for sure. Thanks for all the great info and helping me improve my technique.. Next up cream of three crops..

Old 09-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #200
dobberson24
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread so maybe it's been asked but has anyone ever tried blending a Berliner Weisse with this recipe to get the sourness?

Quick Reply