Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
RICLARK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
With 3lbs of Flaked Barley did you have any problems with a stuck sparge? I think I might throw in a hand full of rice hulls.

Looks good though...going to try this in a couple weeks.
No problems with stuck sparge. I hate rice hulls so I will probably never use them again. However if you are worried about it, it wont hurt.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You may want to tinker around with a sour mash for a portion of the grainbill; Guinness is 3% sour by volume.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
kitemanks
Recipes 

I would like to thank you guys for bringing this recipie to my attention... I am a surfer who happened upon your thread. For creaminess in my stouts I force carbonate using a carbonation stone on a long wand to the bottom of my keg from williams and then push and nitrogenate slightly via a 16gram Nitrogen charger, not an 8 gram charge, which is designed for whip cream despensors. The 16 gram charge is attached to the keg through an old pinic gun style pusher designed for 16 gram co2. Bicycle tire inflation devices can be rigged to deliver this as well. I hope this helps in our mutual endevor.

Eric

Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #14
BunzoBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Some questions about mashing...

Hello there and thanks for the recipe. After hours of searching on the net for a good guinness draught clone I finally located this thread right under my nose

I have done 3 all grain brews now in a cooler MLT. I have some questions about your mashing schedule. Below is the schedule and my questions:

Mash: 3.75 Gal 170.5 Degrees for 45 Min
2.50 Gal 185.0 Degrees for 20 Min Batch Sparge Round 1
2.50 Gal 185.0 Degrees for 20 Min Batch Sparge Round 2

So I mash 3.75 gallons at 170.5 for 45 minutes and then I do two rounds of 2.5 gallons @185 for 20 minutes each?

This is kind of confusing because that is 8.75 gallons of water you are throwing in the cooler. I started with Ed's Haus Pale Ale and would do 3.5 gallons then after 60 minutes adding 5 quarts of 175 degree water and vorlauf. Then I would do 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water for the next batch sparge. That gives about 6.5 gallons for the boil.

This is probably a noob questions but if you could explain your mashing schedule I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

EDIT: I was also curious as to if you added the soured guinness directly to the boiling wort in the last 10 minutes? If so did the recipe come out the same?

EDIT 2: Oh I was doing some math wrong when comparing the recipes. I suppose I simply put in the 3.75 gallons of 170.5 degree water in the MLT and let it sit for 45 minutes. Then I add 2.5 gallons of 185 degree water to the MLT and let it sit for 20 minutes. From there I vorlauf and drain what I have so far into the kettle. Then simply throw another 2.5 gallons of 185 degree water in the MLT and wait 20 minutes. I then vorlauf again and drain the rest of the MLT to the kettle. I then have enough wort for the boil and the excess should burn off leaving me with 5.5 gallons.

I forgot to account for water absorbed by the grain when I was comparing the recipes before. Doh!

Last edited by BunzoBrew; 09-22-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #15
JSomps6
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I found this in a BYO article I found in another thread...

Guinness’ new brew house is laid out in the traditional, top to bottom design. Though the grains are not milled on the top floor, they are sent there by conveyor for storage in the huge grist bins. To mash a batch of Guinness, you’ll need 22 tons of grist (48,501 lb.) of around 65 percent pale malt, 25 percent raw barley, and 10 percent roast. Add that to 50 tons of water (13,233 gallons) in the mash tun, where huge, automatic paddles and knives rotate through the mash to keep it loose and well-mixed.

The water comes from Ireland’s Wicklow mountains. It’s relatively soft, but with the right blend of minerals for a successful mash. It’s the same water that Arthur Guinness used to make stout back in the 18th century.

The mash rests at 65° C (135° F) for 75 minutes, then it is stepped up to 67° C (152.6° F) and held for 45 minutes, then mashed out at 78° C (172° F).

The mash is fully converted in just over two hours, but the whole process takes about three. After mash-out it is automatically transferred to the kieve (pronounced “keev”).

Here is the full article:

http://www.byo.com/stories/beer-styl...ted-in-ireland

Old 09-24-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
BunzoBrew
Recipes 

Nice find JSomps6. So it seems that this recipe is very close to the original guinness formula.

I will definitely be trying out this recipe in the near future. Seems that the nitrogen is important to emulating the original. I'd like to have a go at this recipe and if the results are good then perhaps i'd invest in the beer gas setup. I know the guy from my LHBS did and he said it's worth it.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 AM   #17
BunzoBrew
Recipes 

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of this the other day. The brewing day went rather well despite brewing in the rain. I will let you guys know how the beer came out in the following weeks.

Thanks for the recipe

Old 10-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
kitemanks
Recipes 

I was looking on the Guinness website and under the Draught section, under the "how we make it" , and they really don't give anything away. The other article is much better. However under the boiling section of "how we make it" I noticed something interesting... that is they add the roasted malt to the boil with the hopps. Now I don't know if this is what they really do... like a decociton even though its the final boil, or if this is a Technical writers mistake. I would guess the PH would have to be monitored to keep from getting Tannins and the like?? It sounded odd....some tricks though work well....any thoughts.

Eric

Last edited by kitemanks; 10-17-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
CanadianNorth
Recipes 

Default flaked barley sub

I'm keen to give this recipe a try.

Think I can use raw barley (hulled) instread of flaked barley? Would a cereal mash be required?

thanks!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #20
1nitrous
Recipes 

so when you sour the guinness on the counter did you leave the bowl uncover risking an infection in it?

Quick Reply