Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #161
rocco336
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Idk bout the coloration, but long as the taste is close (and mouthfeel!) then I will be happy. Chose to brew this to break in my new Guinness tap and faucet on my keezer! Granted I dont have nitro yet but I still got a month or so, and even then C02 wont be terrible.

As for my batch: Mashed at 150.6 for an hr, got a grav reading spot on with what I was expecting (1.045, but I reduced the amount of pale malt by just a bit, evening it at exactly 65:25:10 ratio). Ground the **** outta the roasted barley- made it into flour pretty much and from the boil got a nice roasted/chocolate smell. Used 1.4 oz of EKG for 60 min @ 7.2% AA. Total boil time was 60 min, putting the soured Guinness Extra Stout in at flameout. Cooling down to pitch right now while rehydrating yeasties. Already looking forward to this one!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 03:00 AM   #162
rocco336
Recipes 

Racked into the secondary after letting this ferment for 15 days at 63-68. Taste is spot on of guinness! Cant wait til I get this on my nitro tap, thanks for all the peeps with suggestions! Slainte!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #163
NJstout
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

you think using oatmeal instead of the flaked barley will matter much?

Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #164
kitemanks
Recipes 

Flaked oats will give the beer more mouth feel or allow the flavor to fill your mouth more fully. If you plan on using them I would start with a 50% 50% mixture of the 2, before committing fully..... otherwise it's an oatmeal stout.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 09-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #165
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Has anyone tried using lactic acid to add some sourness at the end of the boil? If so, how much did you add?
I may make this next month without adding soured Guinness and try putting a tiny bit of lactic acid in the glass and pour on it and see how it tastes.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 AM   #166
GuinnessLoverJames
Recipes 

This sounds like a really good recipe, Would you consider trying Chocolate Malted Barley in the recipe for the closer taste of chocolate that Guinness has?
I would also wonder if prepping a yeast culture in a flask weeks in advance and freezing would be better for the overall outcome. As I read the production of a ready supply of yeast rather than using a same day yeast starter is far better.
I also understand that once you have made a successful batch of beer after you can harvest all that yeast when you empty out the fermenter. What have you to say?
I was also looking at a yeast culture online that produces an 8-15% alcohol content and another that makes a 12-25% ABV, I would love to try that I really love Guinness and the more ABV the better, saves me from having to drink so much. Any input guys?

Old 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #167
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

-Roasted barley will get you some chocolate taste.

-Freezing yeast is a bad idea. for what we are making (5g batches) pitching a regular yeast starter or a packet of yeast is fine.

-Search for yeast washing

-bumping a 4% recipe up to 10%+ alcohol will not be the same recipe. If you're trying to make a guinness like stout, make a guinness like stout. Otherwise you're making something else. Was that last part a joke...???

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #168
GuinnessLoverJames
Recipes 

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...Freezing_yeast
First of all I was asking because the concept of freezing yeast would have seemed a wiser choice in the matter, perhaps I should have quoted the source for my idea, I was figuring we could get faster yeast cultivation if we pitch yeast we prepare in advance. If we use a Glycerin method to protect the cellular structure then the yeast would live through the process. Using yeast from trub and saving it makes the fermentation process take off faster too and saving time is always important it raises the efficiency of our endeavors.
I know that roasted barley according to all my research will produce a chocolate flavor, I was actually looking for some input, if someone had used it and the result, I know there is a hint of the chocolate flavor in Guinness and I can taste it then someone must have a close recipe with a little of it added.
I was actually not joking however about the increased alcohol, if I can find a Guinness tasting brew that has a higher ABV then all the better, the thing is, what do you call a Stout that is that high in alcohol? Since Porter and Stout I have seen have a content between 5.4% and 7.9% I wouldn't think it would be that big a stretch for the content to move about 4% higher, just for fun.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #169
Bmorebrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just bottled this yesterday - pretty much spot on, though I used a slightly different recipe: 65% base, 25% flaked barley, 10% roast barley. Also I used London Ale yeast since that's what I got in my fermenters right now. I think the soured Guinness really hits the nail on the head here. From some internet research and calculation, that appears to be what this needs: 3% soured beer addition.

In fact, I left out 24 ounces of beer while bottling for when I brew this again this week. I might just turn this into a perpetual sourdough bread, but for beer.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #170
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnessLoverJames View Post
Freezing yeast - Home Brewing Wiki
First of all I was asking because the concept of freezing yeast would have seemed a wiser choice in the matter, perhaps I should have quoted the source for my idea, I was figuring we could get faster yeast cultivation if we pitch yeast we prepare in advance. If we use a Glycerin method to protect the cellular structure then the yeast would live through the process. Using yeast from trub and saving it makes the fermentation process take off faster too and saving time is always important it raises the efficiency of our endeavors.
I know that roasted barley according to all my research will produce a chocolate flavor, I was actually looking for some input, if someone had used it and the result, I know there is a hint of the chocolate flavor in Guinness and I can taste it then someone must have a close recipe with a little of it added.
I was actually not joking however about the increased alcohol, if I can find a Guinness tasting brew that has a higher ABV then all the better, the thing is, what do you call a Stout that is that high in alcohol? Since Porter and Stout I have seen have a content between 5.4% and 7.9% I wouldn't think it would be that big a stretch for the content to move about 4% higher, just for fun.
guiness extra stout is higher in ABV. guiness draught is famously low in calories and abv, which is what this clone is. i plan on brewing this in a couple weeks and would not change anything since most everyone says the taste is spot on....

Quick Reply