Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #141
wookiemofo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you think 72 degrees is to high to let this clean up the rest of the way? Majority of the fermentation was done at 63, and I'm down to 1.020. Problem is my main area for fermenting is down to 54 and will be until friday (when it warms back up around here).

I've heard this yeast can drop out rather easily below 60. Since most of the fermenting is done would I still pickup off flavors at this point with a higher temp?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #142
kitemanks
Recipes 

I really have no info on that. I always ferment all my ales at room temperature, around 68-70F. Even if the yeast starts to hybernate with a cooler temperature it should wake up when the temperature comes back up. Often fermentation activity raises the temperature in the vessel as well. If it were me I would move it some where warmer while you think the temperature would cause problems, a shower works well. If your using glass just wrap the carboy in a towel to keep it from getting any light.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #143
forceten
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The BYO 250 clone guide suggests using Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale at 72°F... seems like a high temperature for fermentation - will likely cause a lot of esters...

Have you guys tried various fermentation temperatures and have opinion on the best temperature to go for?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #144
kitemanks
Recipes 

That is the yeast I use with my recipe and I ferment it at 70F with no problems.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #145
drumming102
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How does this one look for partial mash? I know my SRM sucks but don't know why it's that low

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Guinness Draught
Brewer: Brian
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dry Stout (Irish)
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.56 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 27.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
2.00 lb       Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM)               Dry Extract  28.86 %       
3.30 lb       Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min]     Extract      47.62 %       
1.00 lb       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        14.43 %       
0.63 lb       Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                  Grain        9.09 %        
2.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (60 min)    Hops         33.3 IBU      
1 Pkgs        Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)            Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 1.63 lb
Code:
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 4.50 qt of water at 159.4 F     154.0 F
Notes:
Put CRUSHED grains in bag and Steep in 4.5qt (1.13 Gal) of water in turkey fryer for 45 min.
While that's steeping Heat 5 gallon of water in BK. When Steep over take 1.25 Qts of water from brew pot and add to "grain tea". Then put strainer over brew pot and grain bag in strainer. Pour Grain tea through strained grain bag. Top up BK to Starting water lvl for boil

Keep timer going while stiring in LME.
To get the sourness of guiness. 1 Week before brewing put 24oz of Guiness in a bowl and sit it on the counter for 4 days to get sour. Freeze until brew day, On brew day remove and thaw. When there is about 10 mins left in your Boil put the sour guiness in the kettle.

Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning -Coffee Ground Stout, Ed's crazy Apfelwein
Drinking - American light, Blue Moon Clone
On Tap- English bitter, BB Octoberfest, BB IPA
Surly Midget Brewery

Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #146
drumming102
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I kinda screwed up. I forgot I was brewing this tomorrow and forgot to set out my 2 pints of guinness to sour. I have em out now. is there anyway to speed up the souring process seeing as I don;t have 4 days?

Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning -Coffee Ground Stout, Ed's crazy Apfelwein
Drinking - American light, Blue Moon Clone
On Tap- English bitter, BB Octoberfest, BB IPA
Surly Midget Brewery

Old 02-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #147
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

you can sour the beer while yours is in the primary and then after several days, boil the soured beer, cool and add to the fermentor. (that's actually how Guinness does it, except it's soured mash, not beer)

I've never tried it this way, but I bet it wouldn't suck. Beersmith also suggests this method.

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #148
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Going to keg this this weekend, can someone help me figure out how to carb it?

I have 2 systems, a CO2 setup with 2 kegs (1 carbing, 1 priming in the carboy), and a nitro/beer gas system.

I really don't want to have to use my CO2 to carb, and I'd rather not prime since I want exact results.

Is it recommended that i get a Diffusion stone? Or can I use the set it and forget it method with nitro by setting the PSI to serving... 30 or so.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #149
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemofo View Post
Going to keg this this weekend, can someone help me figure out how to carb it?

I have 2 systems, a CO2 setup with 2 kegs (1 carbing, 1 priming in the carboy), and a nitro/beer gas system.

I really don't want to have to use my CO2 to carb, and I'd rather not prime since I want exact results.

Is it recommended that i get a Diffusion stone? Or can I use the set it and forget it method with nitro by setting the PSI to serving... 30 or so.
Here is what I do with my nitro tap and they come out great and get better over time with the "Cascade" effect. After I rack to my keg I drop it in my kegerator and put it on CO2 for 24 hrs at 30 PSI and then switch over to my nitrogen at around 28 PSI. No shaking at all! Nitrogen does not dissolve (as easily) in beer and with a 75/25 beer gas mix it will take a few weeks to be carbed

Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #150
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think that sounds easy. CO2 at 30psi for 24 hours, then Beergas at 28psi for 2 weeks?

That would give it a couple weeks to condition as well

Quick Reply