Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #121
kitemanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Drumming,

The problem that I see right off the bat is you have flaked barley in that recipe with no 2nd row, or 6th row, to convert the starches to sugar. Your so close to AG in the recipe as it stands its kind of funny. You might add Dextrine to the recipe instead of the flaked barley that will give you the head your looking for but that stuff is expensive.

I guess to help fix this where I think it will be a little more correct. I just need to ask a few questions:
1. Are you wanting to make Guiness Draught (curvey bottle), or Guiness Extra Stout?
2. What is the limiting factor keeping you from going to all grain? Is it the size of your boil kettle?? What size do you have?
3. Are you in the kitchen with this on the stove?
4. How much time are you wanting to spend on this brew, during brew day?

That should get us off and running.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 AM   #122
drumming102
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All I did was input his recipe and hit convert in Beersmith. Either would be fine.
I don;t do AG because I Only have the 1 kettle (converted keggle) and Don't want to do BIB because i'm not sure I can keep my temps right with my fryer burner.

Time is not really an issue. Going to go up to AG when I get all my kegs done and burners purchased just would like a nice guiness stout on tap for this summer.

Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning -Coffee Ground Stout, Ed's crazy Apfelwein
Drinking - American light, Blue Moon Clone
On Tap- English bitter, BB Octoberfest, BB IPA
Surly Midget Brewery

Old 02-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #123
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quick question. I planned on brewing this on saturday, but i forgot to sour some Guinness. Is it to late? Am I better off brewing this the following weekend? Not sure if guinness will sour from wed night - sat am

Old 02-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #124
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiemofo View Post
Quick question. I planned on brewing this on saturday, but i forgot to sour some Guinness. Is it to late? Am I better off brewing this the following weekend? Not sure if guinness will sour from wed night - sat am
You should be fine. Go with 2 bottles (24 oz) and dont freeze just add the soured beer into the last 10 min of the boil.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #125
kitemanks
Recipes 

Well thats good news. That means you have alot of room in your kettle. Just to make this simple I would add some 6 row (which has some more enzymes) or simply cut your pale malt extract in half. If your using canned extract and add either 2nd row or 6 row malt to your steep. Then do your steep and when you think your done do an Iodine test and go from there.

To do the Iodine test go to wally world and get some Iodine. Next collect a few drops of wort and put it on a white background like plastic. I use material similar to a cutting board. Then add a drop of Iodine. What your looking for is the mixture to stay roughly the same color. If it turns blackish then all the starches haven't been converted, so let it cook a little longer.

A good dry run is to simply put a drop of Iodine on paper, which has alot of starch in it, you don't want that color. You want it to kind of stay the Iodine color.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 02-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #126
drumming102
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wanna use DME. Just like it better. So How much 2 or 6 should I add (no preffrence as to either really)? I'll balance the DME after that in beer smith. What is the iodine test doing during a steeping? I didn;t think steeped grains did anything but influence color? So how would 2 or 6 allow me to cut my DME addition? In order to get the sugars from the 2 row i would need to mash wouldn;t I?

Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning -Coffee Ground Stout, Ed's crazy Apfelwein
Drinking - American light, Blue Moon Clone
On Tap- English bitter, BB Octoberfest, BB IPA
Surly Midget Brewery

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #127
kitemanks
Recipes 

Since this is a bit of a mini-mash I would add around 3lbs of 6 row since it has more enzymes in it. Normally steeping does just that, however this would use the steep as a mini-mash to convert the flaked barley to sugar. The goal would be to keep the steep around 150F until you get good conversion via iodine test 45+minutes depending on how much water you use. 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain would really help, this is mashing. Next add the rest of the water after you have conversion. Then add the extract, and proceed as normal.

That would get it done. If after looking at this your head swells you could take the flake out altogether, add Malt Dextrine (an extract) in its place, steep the roasted only, add your DME extracts and call it good.

Eric

Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #128
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have another quick question on the original recipe... the mash temp says 170.5, I assume this is strike temp? Before or after preheating the MTL?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #129
kitemanks
Recipes 

That is correct. Also know the original recipe from page one gives you more of a Guiness Extra-Stout beer IMO, not a Guiness Draught. Wading through all the posts can be a bit of an under-taking.

Eric

Old 02-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #130
wookiemofo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah I've reread this thread a couple times! Or tried to!

Are there altercations to this for more of a Draught style clone?

Quick Reply