Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #111
Killercal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this in July of this year and it is phenomenal! I did everything Rickclark did except I used Wyeast Irish Ale. It is spot on in the tastse, but the only difference is the mouthfeel. I'm using CO2 and do believe that using beer gas and the proper tap would correct this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 12:02 AM   #112
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflyer View Post

I was reading recently that the roasted barley which is unmalted needs the protein rest at 120F and that it should be crushed up really fine in a coffee grinder or with a rolling pin after you crush it normally. (From Palmer/Zainasheff - Brewing Classic Styles)... accordingly this is the way you get not JUST the coffee taste but also the bittersweet chocolate taste.

I made two versions of this recipe, one I used some old roasted barley from a prior Scotch Ale brew, and this was crushed. The second batch I used uncrushed roasted barley and this batch didn't compare to the frist batch. The beer wasn't as dark (light brown) and the flavor wasn't as nice as the frist batch. I second the crushing of the roasted barley!

Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #113
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quick question on souring the guinness. Because you do this will you need to dedicate a keg and beer lines to a "Sour" beer or will it not matter because it is boiled before added? I'm gonna do this recipe next for my first all grain.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #114
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldies View Post
Quick question on souring the guinness. Because you do this will you need to dedicate a keg and beer lines to a "Sour" beer or will it not matter because it is boiled before added? I'm gonna do this recipe next for my first all grain.
The boiling pasteurizes it. No need to use different equipment.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #115
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAngler View Post
The boiling pasteurizes it. No need to use different equipment.

Thanks. I figured but wanted to check first.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #116
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It seems my gravity is going to finish high at 1.022. I'm going to check again tonight to see if it has moved in the last week, but my buddy that fermented the other half said his is at 1.022 as well.

Anybody else have this brew finish high? I'm thinking our mash temp must have been high. The sample tasted fantastic. Great, full mouthfeel and the sour Guinness character was there. I can live with the sweeter brew and it still leaves us at 5% after priming.

Last edited by NorCalAngler; 12-13-2010 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo

Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM   #117
Coldies
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Getting ready to keg this within the next 2 days (Time permitting) I just got my beer gas and stout faucet all set up to. I will post when I try my first pint!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #118
kitemanks
Recipes 

Norcal,

What was your starting gravity?? That does seem quite high for an ending gravity. In the future if this happens you might try adding some Amylase enzyme. It will break down in additional starches you missed and get you back on track. Additionally start doing an Iodine test to help with total conversion. I'm sure you're probably doing this but if not and others are having this problem this is a quick and easy fix. Respond to this is you need more info.

I find this enzyme locally, funny that Northern brewer doesn't carry it if you need a link:http://www.beer-wine.com/products/amylase-enzyme-15-ounce

This really helps with clearing my pale lagers, and ales. I have really hard water.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 AM   #119
drumming102
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does this look close enough for an extract conversion? Still going to do the sour addition.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Guniess Extra
Style: Dry Stout (Irish)
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 24.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8.40 lb       Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)             Extract      68.52 %       
3.00 lb       Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                  Grain        24.49 %       
0.86 lb       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        6.98 %        
2.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %]  (60 min)    Hops         38.5 IBU      
2 Pkgs        Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)           Yeast-Ale
Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 12.46 lb
Code:
Steep grains as desired (30 minutes)
Notes:

Primary -
Secondary -
Conditioning -Coffee Ground Stout, Ed's crazy Apfelwein
Drinking - American light, Blue Moon Clone
On Tap- English bitter, BB Octoberfest, BB IPA
Surly Midget Brewery

Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #120
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

That looks close to me drumming. You can see that beersmith has your OG higher and your IBU's lower. I think the reason for this difference is that the OP expects 68% efficiency from his AG process. Since you are using extract for most of your fermentables it predicts you to have a higher OG, and since your OG is higher your IBU's go down (this is cause hop utilization is a function of gravity).

Now, if you brew your recipe as is I think it will taste great. And be very close to the original, but here are some considerations to think about. Firstly since the OP's recipe is all grain, the ratio of the contribution of each grain will remain constant despite if he hits his efficiency estimate. That means the beer will remain balanced the way the recipe describes: 66.66% pale malt, 25% flaked barely, 8ish roasted barley. However in your recipe you can expect that the extract will get near 100% efficiency while your steeping of the grains will get a significantly lower amount of efficiency. Therefore the fermentables that end up in the brewpot may be something like 80% pale malt xtract, 18% flaked barley, and 2% roasted barley. I think if you did a side by side taste test the most dramatic difference would be caused by this rather than any difference between the extract and the grain.

This is primarily speculation, I've only anecdotal evidence to support it. I usually increase the steeping grain weight when converting to account for this. Makes sense in my head, but that doesn't mean it is is right, lol. You should report back what you think of the beer when its done though.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Quick Reply