Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #101
kitemanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Funny you say that.... I use really low and long mash temps to thin and lighten the brew, coupled with de-bittered chocolate, and carafa to get the color and chocolate flavor just right. This brings the flavor much more close to Guiness in my opinion... I also push with nitro and co2 in a beer gas configeration of 75%, 25% respectively at 20-30psi. I can tell you the nitro does add an eliment of smoothness to the brew. Aging the beer about 30 days at room temp with an inital plug of 30 psi with a carbonation stone puts the flavor and cascade just where I like it.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #102
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't see why you would stray away form the recipe and add chocolate... Especially when people have already said it's spot on... If you want a chocolate stout, then make one... but this is more of a Guiness clone.

I made this last week, and I just tasted it from the primary. I followed the recipe to a tee, except I went with the irish ale yeast. And I must admit, It taste like guiness, has the sweentess and everything! It has some off flavor notes, but thats only because it's so new and still in the primary.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #103
kitemanks
Recipes 

I started with the recipie and my taste buds told me there was to much roasted or burnt flavor when comparing this to "Guiness Draught". It was more almost a "Guiness extra-Stout" but not quite. After doing extensive all be it online research on any and all articles and including their website. I brewed and brewed. Eventually, I took the roasted out of the recipie all together, and experimented to where I am today even adding nitro and a stout tap. I still don't have it nailed but I think it is a better version than the original recipie only without the sour as of yet. The only problem is it takes all day. I have been updating my RIMS as well. I finally have what I think will help (rice hulls) but I haven't ever used them... I'm not sure of the ratio.

Everyone's taste is different and taking input from others and working on your favorite beer is to me what I love, and in turn is what this is all about.

Cheers

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Last edited by kitemanks; 05-21-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #104
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have to agree with Kitemanks and correct myself a bit too... I believe this is spot on guiness recipe but a spot on Extra Stout recipe... not Draught... Now that said.. their is draught in bottles, and draught on draught. My bottles with the little nitro ball are MUCH more watery than the draught I get off a real guiness tapped at the local pub. So this is a hard thing to compare really. But this recipe if you bottle prime and don't go w/ the nitro and if you're like me and you overshoot your gravity, it is much more like the exported extra stout than the thinnner draught (IMHO).

Now, as for chocolate... I have proven to myself that you can brew a stout with only malted, flaked and roasted barley and get not just the awesome coffee note but also chocolate notes... the secret is to grind the roasted barley section of the grist in a coffee grinder! To an almost flour like consistency... Then do a 15 rest at 120F, then mash thin at 153F for 60 min. Man, you get Mocha stout this way :-) No chocolate malt needed.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 05-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #105
kitemanks
Recipes 

Interesting.... I have a friend who loves coffee flavor in his beer. I'll have to vault that info for later use.

It's interesting how different processes can be done to arrive at an extremely similar flavor with slightly different suttle notes and complex flavors that each brewer can call their own. I dig it man.

Eric

Old 06-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #106
Killercal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to chime in here...This is great that I have found this posting, and I will be trying this recipe very soon and will take everyone’s tips and tricks into account. My father and father-in-law both love this brew so if I could give then something very similar I would be in their good books for a LONG time! Thanks Riclark for staring this post and giving us this recipe!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #107
SAMPLER
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any pics?

CHEERS

Madfish Malt House
On Tap: Blue Moon Clone
Kegged: EMPTY
Primary: EMPTY
Secondary: N/A

Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #108
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitemanks View Post
Funny you say that.... I use really low and long mash temps to thin and lighten the brew, coupled with de-bittered chocolate, and carafa to get the color and chocolate flavor just right. This brings the flavor much more close to Guiness in my opinion... I also push with nitro and co2 in a beer gas configeration of 75%, 25% respectively at 20-30psi. I can tell you the nitro does add an eliment of smoothness to the brew. Aging the beer about 30 days at room temp with an inital plug of 30 psi with a carbonation stone puts the flavor and cascade just where I like it.
recipe?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:40 AM   #109
kitemanks
Recipes 

EMF Guiness 1B
Brew Type: All Grain
Sfyle: Dry Stout
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Volume: 8.08 gal
Brewhouse Efriciencv : 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 min
9.59 filtered tap water Wichita,KS (very hard)

0.50 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM
0.25 lb Carafa Il(412.0 SRM)
0.25 lb De-Bittered ChocolateM alt (450.0 Grain)

2.00 oz East Kent Goldlings
1 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

Mix all of the Grain ingredients prior to mashing to get the rice hulls evenly distributed for easy circulation or lauter.

13.13 qt strike water @ 144F if equipment isn't heated try 150F-155F (RIMS use 4 gallons to aid in circulation and grain bed float.)

Protien Rest: 135F for 75 minutes
Saccharification: 152F for 45 minutes

Check for conversion using Iodine if using RIMS

Batch Sparge: 170F for 30 minutes (at least)

Boil for 60-90 minutes until target volume is achieved. After cooling wort and transferring to fermenter take O.G. reading, dilute if nessisary to get as close to 1.040 as possible. To high of an O.G. reading will increase the alcohol flavor and heaviness of the beer.

Primary 1 week @ 68-70 secondary the same for a week. Use gyle,sugar,malt or force carb. to carbonate. I use 75% nitro and 25% CO2 which smooths the flavor out quite a bit. If the beer is to sharp with just CO2 let it age. You can change any harshness by lightening chocolate malt, and increasing the Carafa even not milling a small percentage. Increasing coffee flavor substitute Roasted Barley for the debittered chocolate malt. This brew will not be sour. If sourness is desired use Rick Clark's method. The color will appear a little light. Guiness is dark and produces a redish hue when held up to a light which is achieved here. Color tinkering should be done by carafa if the brew is smooth enough for you, or roasted if a more coffee flavor is desired. Milling roasted will intensify the coffee taste and aroma.

Bluh
Eric M. Fresh

Eric

Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #110
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I brewed 10 gallons of this with a buddy on Sunday. Hit 1.058 and added 48oz of Guinness soured for four days to the boil. Wyeast Irish Ale was raging in less than 8 hours. I'm really excited about this one. Only my second all grain and it maxed out my 10 gallon mash tun, but our efficiency was great. Will post results in a month or so.

Quick Reply