Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Guinness Draught Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #91
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So Netflyer, in the end how did your recipe and process differ from the OP's recipe and process? Sounds like you got it pretty close.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #92
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post
So Netflyer, in the end how did your recipe and process differ from the OP's recipe and process? Sounds like you got it pretty close.
I only varied in that I got a bit better eff. and I left it just that slightly higher OG, I used Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast. I used almost his exact process except I did not freeze the soured guiness. I soured up till brew day and boiled it separately and then added it to the boil.

I was reading recently that the roasted barley which is unmalted needs the protein rest at 120F and that it should be crushed up really fine in a coffee grinder or with a rolling pin after you crush it normally. (From Palmer/Zainasheff - Brewing Classic Styles)... accordingly this is the way you get not JUST the coffee taste but also the bittersweet chocolate taste.

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #93
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I let 2 bottles of Guinness Draught sour in a quart sized mason jar covered loosely with saran wrap and the metal canning band - I perforated the plastic wrap so it could breathe and added a few grains of malted barley. I let sour for too long I fear (probably 10-14 days) and there is a thin layer of scum on top.

Think I'm going to skip the sour beer addition and just keg and enjoy - since my recipe was a little different that the one posted here so when its ready, I'll let you know how mine turned out.

TD

Old 04-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #94
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have to admit that the most recent batch I made suffered from too much HB during the batch and my brewing guests and I completely forgot the souring addition. The brew still came out great, even to the point where I'm wondering if the sour step is even THAT necessary

Kegged:

Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #95
cmorgan
Recipes 

Default High Final Gravity?

I used this recipe as my third All Grain batch. My first two batches suffered from really low efficiency and I think I may have overcompensated this time. I ended up with 1.060 as my OG. Everything else went fine until it hit 1.020. I have tried shaking it, moving it to warmer temp room(70-73F), racking it, letting it sit another week and nothing. It tastse great and has not changed gravity readings for almost a week and half so I am going to go ahead and bottle it, but purely for future knowledge sake...

I am wondering if my yeast crapped out on me or if it finished and there is just alot of leftover unfermentables due to the high mash temps?

By the way... I used Wyeast American Ale II because its what I had harvested from a previous batch. I know it won't be a Guiness but I think it will still be a great stout!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #96
kitemanks
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeast usually doesn't crap out unless some consumables are lacking. Oxygenating your wort before fermentation should help in the future. Although that is a high gravity.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink, because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they will feel all day!

Eric

Old 05-01-2010, 06:44 AM   #97
Netflyer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Interestingly enough my first batch of this (I'm on my fifth) finished pretty high at 1.018 and I used the Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast. Again, interestingly enough I've made subsequent batches with the same yeast and finished much lower like 1.012 ... My first batch with the high finish was still amazing and I wouldn't worry if I were you. Also, it should be noted that the amount of grist in this recipe could easily get you 1.055+ if your eff is up there. I believe the spirit of this particular clone is to get you around 1.052.

Kegged:

Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #98
cmorgan
Recipes 

I am not really worried about this one turning out badly... I tasted it again at bottling and I think this one is going to be awesome! I was mostly wondering if anyone else had issues with this one finishing at a higher gravity than expected.

At this point I am assuming it must have been a few different things related to the yeast... it was repitched yeast and I didn't make a large enough starter since I wasn't shooting for a 1.060 O.G.

As I said I am kind of new to All Grain and so I was wondering if the high mash and sparge temps were related to my high final gravity... don't higher temps produce a more unfermentable wort? Obviously everyone else seemed to be finishing fine so I must be wrong about this.

Regardless, I can. not. wait for this one to be done.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #99
HuRRiC4Ne
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just made this last night, it was my first all grain! I hit a brewhouse efficiency of 77.94% and a OG of 1.054. Not bad for my first time I made a executive decision on the yeast and went with Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. I will keep everyone updated!

Ended up coming out to 6 gallons of wort after 90 min boil.

Note: Use a yeast starter for this yeast, it lagged for 12 hours... even though I used a nice amount of nutrients and energizer with a nice aerate.

Day 4: Gravity reading of 1.015 so far...

Last edited by HuRRiC4Ne; 05-13-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #100
bkov
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

this is off topic, but what do you think if the roasted barley was subbed with chocolate malt?

Quick Reply