Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > German Chocolate Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 PM   #11
sirsloop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Heh heh... tossed it on the gas a bit ago. Its still kinda flat and a little warm but its still tastes pretty good. Just like I remember the first batch, except a little less hot. Its on the sweet side, but thats how I wanted it given the goal. The first back fermented on the hot side temp wise which is probably why this batch tastes a little less "belly wamer". I'm gonna try a few glasses over the weekend, yank it and pull it out this fall. I think the flavors will work themselves together much better by then.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #12
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts

OK, keep me informed...I mean, us.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #13
Jeff48
Recipes 

I did this recipe back in August of 07 and have carefully guarded their use since. I still have about 15 12ozers and it is clearly the most highly commented upon brew I have ever done. Some love it, some don't but no-one says it isn't one of the most interesting brews ever tasted.
I think it is just a hair light on the coconut and vanilla or just a hair heavy on the cocoa, but as it ages the blending is so terrific that it is really a who cares kind of thing.
Started out at about 1.086 and finished at 1.021. Nice and malty at just below 8% ABV.

This beer has been shown to be quite an active fermenter. Care should be taken to use a blow off tube.

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
sirsloop
Recipes 

I've had this in my keggerator for the past few weeks while I was out on vacation. I had some before flat, and some after carbed up. Man.. so so good. I yanked it and tossed it back in my closet before I drank it all!! HAHA!!

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am working on my own big, belly-warming stout right now, and was a little concerned about the ABV, and so I thought I would compare it to this one... Using Tasty Brews Recipe Calculator (http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html), though, this recipe came in at 7.7 ABV. Mine was clocking in around 8.3. I have had some absolutely delicious Imperial Stouts that have a high ABV but you do not get any alcohol flavor, and that is what I had wanted. How does the alcohol read through in this guy?

This is the Stout I am working on, and I am going to buy ingredients tomorrow... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=72649

Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
sirsloop
Recipes 

This last batch I cooked up was a keeper. Real real good...and the alcohol hides its self real well (until the end of the 2nd glass! HA!). I personally am not a big fan of raspberry stouts. The raspberries tend to make a strange nose and the flavor just never did it for me. I'm afraid that if you go for imperial chocolate, coffee, raspberry... its like flavor overload. Granted its imperial, but there's a hell of a lot going on in there. I'm thinkin with this brew you may want to do half and half. Maybe batch make one chocolate and raspberry, and one chocolate and coffee. After its brewed, mix a glass half/half and if you like the taste, siphon them together. Umm... the roasted stuff... that seems like an ok amount to shoot for. It'll be black as tar, but that what you want for a 8% imperial. Heck, you may want to go higher with the alcohol...10# DME? f-it... go for the gold!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:46 AM   #17
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, since I already have a thread on it, but my inspiration for combining the three ingredients is that there are a few companies out there who make imperial stouts with all three, and i liked the idea of adding the tartness of the raspberries to the other elements already present. the goal, of course, will be to do this without making a muddy mess. if i had more money i would make two simultaneous batches, one chocolate coffee and one chocolate raspberry. when it is time to go into the secondary we will see if I have enough equipment laying around to split it into two batches and i can flavor them separately... if i brew this weekend i have a while to figure that out...

When you were referencing the roasted stuff, is that in reference to the original recipe i posted, or to the newest version? The newest version is:

Midnight Oil Imperial Stout A Work in Progress
9.0 lbs. Dark DME
1.5 lbs. Roasted barley steeped 30 mins at 160, sparged at 170
0.5 lbs. Chocolate Malt steeped 30 mins at 160, sparged at 170
0.5 oz. Chinook Pellet Hops 60 minutes
1.0 oz. Saaz Pellet Hops 15 minutes
3.0 oz. baking cocoa at flameout
4.0 oz. baking cocoa in Secondary
Unknown Quantityfresh/frozen/pureed raspberries, crushed in Secondary
28 oz. cold brewed espresso in Secondary
1.0 oz pure vanilla extract in Secondary
White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout Yeast

Thanks for your advice and encouragement. 10lbs DME might be a bit much even for me... The extra pound brings the above recipe from 8.1 ABV to 9... However, I will have about 1/2lb or so of light DME laying around that I might throw in, because it will go to waste otherwise...

Old 07-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #18
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

By the way, sirsloop, I should say thank you for an awesome recipe... If you look at my original recipe it was significantly different than yours. But as I have been modifying it based on a number of peoples' advice, it is coming to resemble yours more and more... Getting rid of the Crystal and the Black Patent as unnecessary muddying of flavors has left me with a recipe quite similar to yours. And it is funny that I ended up going with the same hops as you, too... though I chose the Saaz as flavoring hoping their earthiness would compliment the raspberry well, and now that the whole raspberry aspect is in question I may switch... well, in any case, thanks, and I didn't mean to pilfer your recipe! It was, along with your exclamations about the resulting brew, inspiring, to say the least!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
sirsloop
Recipes 

HA! Let us know what you end up cookin up and how it turns out!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
oberon567
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I will. As it is Friday I have spent a good part of my work day researching Imperial stour recipes, and almost every single one uses the black patent and the crystal 120 that i had originally included and subsequently removed from my brew. So now I am veklempt, and trying to figure out what to buy when I get to the LHBS. I will update that thread tomorrow after I brew it with what I ended up going with...

Quick Reply