Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #81
JadeMonkeyStang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeebe View Post
When you add your coffee grounds at flame out, do you put them in a bag or just toss them in?
I just tossed mine in and made sure I poured everything (trub, hops, coffee, all of it) into the fermenter once I had the wort chilled.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #82
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeMonkeyStang View Post
I just tossed mine in and made sure I poured everything (trub, hops, coffee, all of it) into the fermenter once I had the wort chilled.
I also just tossed them in, they settle out quick.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #83
sbeebe
Recipes 

Ok great! That makes me feel better. I was worried that leaving the grounds in would make it to bitter.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #84
pj_rage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm looking at this recipe as it looks delicious and I'm wanting to try making a stout. I haven't had the pleasure of trying a founders breakfast stout yet, but I love stouts in general and it does sound good!

One thing that seems to be in question (or maybe not) is the IBUs, being either 30 or 60. I was playing with the numbers, and it seems like tinseth IBU calculation gives around 30 or so, and rager gives around 60 or so (based on BYO's clone recipe). Is this a coincidence? Or is it possible that both 30 and 60 are correct depending on the formula used, and perhaps even founder's website was at one point showing the tinseth calculated IBU (30) and is now showing the rager calculated IBU (60). I guess the website should show/provide the actual measured IBU and not calculated, but do we know this for sure either way? Is this a possibility for where some confusion is coming from? Or maybe my app that is calculating IBUs with tinseth and rager is really off and I'm way off base here, that's possible too :P

I'd like to also ask Dubbel why the recipe is pretty much identical to the BYO recipe except for using 16lb 2 row vs BYO using 13.2lb? What was your efficiency? It looks like if I use 16 lb as in Dubbel's exact recipe, with 70% efficiency it will come in closer to 1.100 OG, which sounds way too high?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #85
sbeebe
Recipes 

So I racked to my secondary last week. Upon first tasting, it tasted a little bitter. So I added a 1/2 lb of lactose to my secondary. If anything it should make it a little creamier. I'm looking to bottle this weekend!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:46 AM   #86
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I cracked one of my last few bombers of this open on the day after Thanksgiving at exactly a year after brew day. I must say it's aged nicely.The coffee has mellowed quite a bit but it's still there. My next batch I'm going to at least partially age on oak as I love that toasted coconut flavor in a big stout.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #87
sbeebe
Recipes 

Mine has been in bottle for one week today! I think I'm going to crack one tonight just to see how it is. Next batch I'm going to split it in half and oak/bourbon one half up.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #88
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

FWIW, my Breakfast Stout didn't score that well in a recent competition @ 28, by far my worst scoring beer in the comp. No real flaws or typical off-flavors were mentioned but there wasn't enough chocolate and the coffee was too much like coffee-grounds. I was able to talk to one of the guys who judged it and this guy is very experienced and knows his stuff.

I did mine a little different than the OP recipe, I added 2 oz coarse ground coffee a couple minutes after flameout (IC already flowing) and then 3 oz whole-bean coffee in a secondary. Not sure which one caused the 'coffee-ground' flavor/aroma. I did the chocolate very similar to the OP recipe (except used powder instead of the nibs). Just a little warning/FYI for those thinking of brewing it.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 12-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #89
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just got my first batch in the bottles this morning. This stuff smells so great, it just has to taste good!

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 PM   #90
sbeebe
Recipes 

Spanish, I did the same thing. Grounds at flame out and whole beans for my secondary. BUT I also put lactose in my secondary to help cut the bitterness. How long did you let yours sit before putting it into the competition?

Quick Reply