Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #601
matt514
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

when i add the sparge water and let that sit for 10 minutes, wont that stop the conversion?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #602
matt514
Recipes 

ok, was just reading in How To Brew about how skipping the mashout with oats in the grist could cause a stuck sparge, so what if i mashed the oats seperately on my stove in a mesh bag, then i could skip the mashout?

Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #603
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this with a 10gal rubbermaid mash tun. Worked just fine. If you need, thin your mash volume. But don't skip mash out.

However, I think you ma misunderstand mashout. In batch sparge, your sparge IS the mashout, so to speak. Use 185-190F water after draining first runnings fully. This will raise the grain temp to mashout temps very quickly.

As far as stuck sparge, I wouldn't worry. As long as you stir properly and get that mixed, you'll be fine. If you're new at all-grain and trying to brew a big recipe, go ahead and accept that you're probably not going to nail your target gravity. But that's OK. Trust me, it'll be fine.

Use Green Bay Rackers calculator (google it) to determine mash volume, which in turn helps determine how full your cooler will get. Always add 1/2-2/3 gal extra to the Rackers figure.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #604
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I skipped the mashout and the mouthfeel is just fine so YMMV. I batch sparge, though, and it's off the grains pretty fast. Might be different with fly sparge. I used a 10 gallon Igloo and it fit. Keep in mind, depending on your efficiency, you might need to scale back the # of grain. I used 13# of two row for just over 17# total and used 1.1qts/# for the mash and it worked fine.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #605
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
I brewed this with a 10gal rubbermaid mash tun. Worked just fine. If you need, thin your mash volume. But don't skip mash out.

However, I think you ma misunderstand mashout. In batch sparge, your sparge IS the mashout, so to speak. Use 185-190F water after draining first runnings fully. This will raise the grain temp to mashout temps very quickly.
Good point. I guess I should say I skipped a separate mashout and sparged with hot water too.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #606
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah, I think people may misunderstand how mashout works with batch sparge.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 02-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #607
matt514
Recipes 

thanks guys, this is what i wanted to hear, i might just get a few less lbs of 2row and ill just drain the first runnings and go straight to sparge with some hot water.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #608
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt514 View Post
thanks guys, this is what i wanted to hear, i might just get a few less lbs of 2row and ill just drain the first runnings and go straight to sparge with some hot water.
Yeah you should just use whatever amount of 2 row will get you to the OG based on your system's efficiency.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #609
matt514
Recipes 

actually im really new to all-grain and i wouldn't even know how to figure out all this efficiency stuff, i just built myself a 10 gallon home depot mash tun and just got a propane burner (bayou sp10) and a 9 gallon stainless pot from AIH. i have a few extra 5 gallon pots to heat up sparge water in too. so thats my system, how would i begin to start figuring out my efficiency?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #610
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

ideally you want to add boiling water to raise the temp on your mash to 166-170*F before you take your first runnings.

if you don't, you're pouring off 150*F first runnings that will continue to convert.

but as pabloj13 pointed out, YMMV. worked fine for him without a mashout. i don't mashout on beers that i want really dry, but thicker beers really benefit from getting the first runnings to mashout temps in my experience.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Quick Reply