Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #571
joshb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ordered my ingredients for this beer today. I haven't bottled in forever but this one will get bottled so that I can try one periodically. I read this entire thread last night! Some things I took away were to definitely change the 2 row base for your equipment. Beersmith is having me use 13lbs rather than 16lbs. I also had to take down my darks a little to get the color in the high end of the range. For hops, it has me adding an additional ounce of nugget to get IBU up to 60. Going with Wyeast 1056. Great thread! Great beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #572
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshb View Post
Ordered my ingredients for this beer today. I haven't bottled in forever but this one will get bottled so that I can try one periodically. I read this entire thread last night! Some things I took away were to definitely change the 2 row base for your equipment. Beersmith is having me use 13lbs rather than 16lbs. I also had to take down my darks a little to get the color in the high end of the range. For hops, it has me adding an additional ounce of nugget to get IBU up to 60. Going with Wyeast 1056. Great thread! Great beer!
This is basically what I did. You will like. Good choices.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #573
Mithranbeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this today, with just a couple alterations to the original recipe. I reduced the base malt to 14lbs, upped the bittering hops to a full ounce, and subbed in unsweetened bakers chocolate for the cocoa nibs. This was my first time using my new Corona mill, my first time using brewing software (Brew Pal app), and my first time using a starter I made from yeast I saved from my previous batch's cake (1056).
I got an OG of 1.076, which I think should end up at around 7.2% depending on attenuation. Really looking forward to tasting this one.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #574
OlieNH
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

We brewed this recipe a little more than 2 months ago now. We let it primary for 4 weeks and then transferred it to a 10-gallon bourbon barrel. We did a barrel tasting with friends last night and everyone said it was the best beverage they had ever tasted, beer or otherwise. One of the ladies told us we had our panty dropper. We will probably give it another 2 months in the barrel. We are planning a Robust Porter to go into that barrel next and do a same day swap once the Port is done fermenting.

On Deck: 15 gallons of Robust Porter
On Deck: Rye IPA
Primary: Belgian Golden Strong with Chimay Strain
Primary 2: Belgian Golden Strong with Abbey Ale Strain
Primary 3: empty
Primary 4: empty
Secondary: empty
Keg 1: Ed Wort's Apfelwein
Keg 2: More Apfelwien
Keg 2: Battle Axe Double IPA
Keg 3: Exctract Pale Ale
Keg 4:
Keg 5:
Keg 6:
Bourbon Barrel: Breakfast Stout

Old 01-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #575
run42beer
Recipes 

After making a first batch of this recipe (OG 1.086 -> FG 1.035) on 9/8/12 I was extremely happy with the result. Thus decided to make another batch on 12/16/12 (OG 1.096). A friend of mine had recently been experimenting with soaking cocoa nibs in high end bourbon and donated the "used" nibs to me. As I am contemplating adding these to the fermenter does anybody have advise on how many ounces to add to get a nice but not overpowering bourbon flavor?

Up next: Cherry stout

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #576
VSGLS1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just bottled this past weekend. 1.093 > 1.022. Now time to forget about it and plan another batch to drink next year. Most likely give it KBS treatment.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #577
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by run42beer View Post
After making a first batch of this recipe (OG 1.086 -> FG 1.035) on 9/8/12 I was extremely happy with the result. Thus decided to make another batch on 12/16/12 (OG 1.096). A friend of mine had recently been experimenting with soaking cocoa nibs in high end bourbon and donated the "used" nibs to me. As I am contemplating adding these to the fermenter does anybody have advise on how many ounces to add to get a nice but not overpowering bourbon flavor?
You will be hardpressed to get any bourbon flavor from the nibs anyways, regardless of how long they soaked.

Majority of the flavor was the cocoa going into the bourbon, the liquid has all the flavor, the nibs will have minimal after soaking.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #578
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just wanted to thank the recipe guys for this...it's spot on and I brew it every few months. It's my house stout.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #579
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I recently tried a bit of this brew at about 2.5 months into the process and I really liked it!

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start another batch of it but this time I'd like to get a bit more roasted flavor out of it. I'm thinking about increasing the amount of roasted barley, but I am nervous that I will over-do it. Is there a threshold that I shouldn't go over? How much roasted barley is too much roasted barley?

Conversely, I would be happy to make something that tastes more like Speedway Stout. There is a Speedway Stout clone recipe floating around the net, but I think that is based on an old version of that beer. I think the current version of the Speedway Stout tastes much different. If anyone can point me towards another high gravity roasty stout recipe, I'd be happy to give it a try.

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on using liberty and nugget hops with this recipe?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #580
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 675 Times on 502 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by loetz View Post
I recently tried a bit of this brew at about 2.5 months into the process and I really liked it!

In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start another batch of it but this time I'd like to get a bit more roasted flavor out of it. I'm thinking about increasing the amount of roasted barley, but I am nervous that I will over-do it. Is there a threshold that I shouldn't go over? How much roasted barley is too much roasted barley?

Conversely, I would be happy to make something that tastes more like Speedway Stout. There is a Speedway Stout clone recipe floating around the net, but I think that is based on an old version of that beer. I think the current version of the Speedway Stout tastes much different. If anyone can point me towards another high gravity roasty stout recipe, I'd be happy to give it a try.

Also, do you guys have any thoughts on using liberty and nugget hops with this recipe?
roasted barley can get rather intense. i would start by upping it to a full pound, maybe 1.25 maximum, and see how that works. would be a shame to go overboard and ruin a whole batch.

i have no info on the speedway stout. i'm assuming you've googled it...

liberty and nugget hops: i'm of the opinion that the hops don't really matter in this beer. there are so many other flavors and aromas going on and so few hops, that the hops aren't really noticeable. so go for it.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Quick Reply