Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #541
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikkieman View Post
I've been eyeing this awesome looking recipe for a while and finally have all tye ingredients and an open fermentor but I have a question. When I feed the recipe into Beersmith as 5 Gal batch with a 70% efficiency, the OG = 1.099, this is hardcore Russian Imperial Stout territory. The recipe calls for OG of 1.086. For those of you who brewed this, what were your OG / FG's for this and any advice. Thanks.
Frankly I was a little perplexed as to what brew pal was telling me when I put this recipe together, too, because it said my OG would be 1.118 and finish at 1.019. The weird thing is, that software doesn't allow me to change my efficiency based on recipe, and getting 85% efficiency on a 8lb recipe is no problem, but this recipe is over 20 lbs in my 10 gallon mash tun.

Long story short, I ended up at 1.088. Pretty close.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #542
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkje04 View Post
My ABV is a bit above 7% (brewed the extract version). I read a lot of people on this thread who have said that this beer takes months to reach maturity. Is that still the case with a beer around 7%? How long will the beers stay "fresh" for lack of a better term?
freshness isn't a major concern here, at least not like it is with an IPA. so no need to worry about letting it age too much unless you have it sitting around for years. if you can, give it 3 months rest then taste. wait another month or more, and taste again. if you detect no difference go ahead and start drinking them all. i suspect you'll notice differences and like the 4+ month old better than the 3... so imagine how much better the 5, 6 and 8 month old versions will be.

personally, i find that dark roasty beers really improve with 6 months of aging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frikkieman View Post
When I feed the recipe into Beersmith as 5 Gal batch with a 70% efficiency, the OG = 1.099, this is hardcore Russian Imperial Stout territory. The recipe calls for OG of 1.086. For those of you who brewed this, what were your OG / FG's for this and any advice. Thanks.
the reason your numbers don't match the OP's is differences in efficiency. the OP had a low efficiency, so it took more grains to reach his desired OG. use your software to tweak quantities until you reach your desired OG (1.086).

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #543
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
the reason your numbers don't match the OP's is differences in efficiency. the OP had a low efficiency, so it took more grains to reach his desired OG. use your software to tweak quantities until you reach your desired OG (1.086).
Right. That's what I was attempting to express with my post, but botched that. It's a large grain bill to fit in the rubbermaid 10 gallon.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:21 AM   #544
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, so I tried this thing 2 wks after brewing, and it of course was really bitter, sweet, and just generally not that great. Fast forward to tonight, 6.5 wks later, and HOLY ****.

This beer is amazing. I still have it on primary, but I gotta say, it tastes 100% dead-on like real Founder's Breakfast Stout. That being said, I have NOT added my Kona addition for secondary.

Question for fellow brewers of this recipe -- did yours have a weak coffee taste before the Kona addition? Because mine tastes exactly like a freshly opened breakfast stout. I'm afraid to add the coffee now, thinking that it may not be necessary anymore. I only used 1.25 oz at 2min of Sumatra.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Burton IPA
ON TAP: Belgian Wit
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #545
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I found that the coffee was way to strong, and I like coffee.. I would have backed it off if I brew it next time.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 12-18-2012, 04:11 AM   #546
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I found that the coffee was way to strong, and I like coffee.. I would have backed it off if I brew it next time.
Interesting. As I said, it currently tastes like the real deal with just a 2 or 1 min addition of 1.25oz Sumatra.

I boiled up some water for cold brewing coffee and some mint (for a choc stout), and I used 2oz roughly ground. That is currently sitting cold in the fridge in a coffee mug filled to the brim and mixed pretty well. I will filter that in the morning and add it to the keg little by little.

I figure the best idea is to add a tad bit more coffee than you want, so as to allow the beer to age well, since the coffee will mellow. I think I may just bottle a bunch of these from the keg and then let them warm back up to age.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Old 12-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #547
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
OK, so I tried this thing 2 wks after brewing, and it of course was really bitter, sweet, and just generally not that great. Fast forward to tonight, 6.5 wks later, and HOLY ****.

This beer is amazing. I still have it on primary, but I gotta say, it tastes 100% dead-on like real Founder's Breakfast Stout.
it'll only keep getting better. don't drink it all now. patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
That being said, I have NOT added my Kona addition for secondary.

Question for fellow brewers of this recipe -- did yours have a weak coffee taste before the Kona addition? Because mine tastes exactly like a freshly opened breakfast stout. I'm afraid to add the coffee now, thinking that it may not be necessary anymore. I only used 1.25 oz at 2min of Sumatra.
i'll be re-brewing this recipe next week, first batch got infected %$&@#*!!!

i'll be cutting back the coffee additions. before the first batch went south i too thought that the coffee was on the strong side. i suspect the coffee will meld/fade with time, but i'm not that big a coffee fiend anyways so i don't want it too strong. the original recipe calls for 2 oz + 2 oz, i think i'll downgrade to 1.5 or 1.25 each.

Drinking: a belgian pale ale, a belgian imperial stout, an Epic 09.09.09 clone, a brett'ed saison
Carbing: a hop-bursted APA, a citra farmhouse
Fermenting: an abbey ale (to be soured)
Aging: an oud bruin, a BDSA/Dubbel thingy, a soured fruit saison, my "wild oats" brett/sour, a saison with a brett mix added at bottling.
Up next: TBD, probably not brewing again until july.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #548
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'll be the guy who didn't think the coffee was too much. I missed my ABV by .5% also, drinking half on tap now at about 5 months from brew date. Remainder is bottled, half of which has 4ml per bottle (8oz per 5 gallon) of Bookers bourbon. Tastes great but bourbon could be bumped up a tad.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #549
JordanThomas
Recipes 

It wasn't too overbearing at all. This coming from a guy who drinks it from the source each season.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #550
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
I'll be the guy who didn't think the coffee was too much. I missed my ABV by .5% also, drinking half on tap now at about 5 months from brew date. Remainder is bottled, half of which has 4ml per bottle (8oz per 5 gallon) of Bookers bourbon. Tastes great but bourbon could be bumped up a tad.
Interesting. How strong is the taste? Like, say, compared to KBS? I want something that's about halfway between Breakfast Stout (no whiskey) and KBS.

Primary(SS Brew Bucket):
Secondary:
On-Deck:
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA

Quick Reply