Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #491
firefly765
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
I'd get it off the yeast after 4 weeks max. Not an expert opinion just what I've learned, or thought I've learned
I was under the impression the longer you leave the beer on the yeast the better. It gives the yeast a chance to "clean up after themselves", is the quote i seem to remember hearing over and over.....no?

Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #492
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly765 View Post
I was under the impression the longer you leave the beer on the yeast the better. It gives the yeast a chance to "clean up after themselves", is the quote i seem to remember hearing over and over.....no?

Thanks for the advice.
The fear of leaving it in too long is autolysis, where the yeast break down and give off bad flavors. In reality, in the homebrew setup, autolysis is very unlikely to happen unless you are leaving the beer on the yeast cake for VERY long times. The reason I wanted mine out of primary was more because of all the other junk in the trub from this brew. A month primary would be a good middle of the road target (assuming it ferments out normally).

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 11-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #493
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed the BYO version and was lucky enough to score a FBS from a buddy so I did a side by side last night after mine had time to properly carb.

Both had smaller head retention, perhaps as a result of the oils in the chocolate? The head color on mine was more khaki colored while the real thing was a fair amount darker. Color was spot on. Flavor was great, my wife actually thought mine was the real thing and was better I thought mine was a bit thin on body but aside from that was very, very close.

Really a terrific beer.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #494
traviswalken
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just brewed this for the first time yesterday. I decided to push the limits of my BIAB setup. Planned to brew 5.3 gallons (figured I'd lose 3 to trub). My kettle is 8.5 gallons...I couldn't have brewed with any more grains than this.

Ended up with 75% efficience and added a bit of water prior to boil to achieve recipe OG. I was prepared for low efficiency since this is the first time I've brewed a big beer BIAB.

The next time I brew a big beer, I will probably scale down the batch to 3 or 4 gallons. I will also add a valve to my brew kettle. Sparging would have been a lot easier if I could have emptied the kettle without removing grains.

Overall, lots of trial and error (strike water volume, temps, etc.) and a messy kitchen, but I can't wait to drink my first breakfast stout in a couple months.

Thanks to all the previous posts and the OP. I learned a lot.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #495
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Cant wait to brew this one!

Old 11-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #496
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Had our first one on Friday. We will be doing our first side-by-side with bottle #2 tonight. I can say this, the head color and size is spot on. Tasted really great as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #497
Projectfdw
Recipes 

Bottled my fbs extract on Friday. 2 weeks primary, 3 wks secondary with 1 week of bourbon oak chips and about 5 oz of bourbon. Had a few oz left that I drank it it has so much potential. Coffee was a bit too forward but I expect that to be dialed back with conditioning. Didn't detect much chocolate but I did sample after a Firestone sucuba and old Rasputin so my taste buds may have been a bit off.

I hope it's ready by Christmas but I know that's an aggressive goal. I did brew up a winter saison so at least I will have that in time. Will report back with results.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #498
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just bottled mine this morning. I used the all-grain version with 13 lb 2-row in place of the LME. I used Sumatran and Nicaraguan coffee from Thanksgiving Coffee Company in Fort Bragg, Ca (great coffee). Mashed at 155 F. Instead of chocolate, I used 2 oz. cground coffee and 2 oz. cocoa powder in a bag after flameout at 185 F.

OG: 1.065, missed by 20 points due to water calculation error, replaced 100 GU with DME at high krausen to replicate 1.085. Fermented at 60 F for 2 weeks, ended at 67 F, 1.025. Very hot with harsh alcohol, racked to secondary, sat for 1 week at 60 F.

Cold steeped 2 oz. coffee grounds in 1 qt of water over night, added with sucrose for 2.2 Co2 volumes. It tasted very smooth with none of the booziness of before. Not much chocolate, just a hint, so I would add another 1-2 oz of cocoa powder at secondary next time. But the coffee comes through very nice, no bitterness or anything. Looking forward to tasting it carbonated and conditioned.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:23 PM   #499
ShaKeyJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did extract version with 2 wks primary and 2 wks secondary. Bottled 11/13/2012 and only got 2 3/4 gallons from 5 gallon batch. Lost a lot in primary which makes for expensive brew!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #500
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaKeyJ View Post
I did extract version with 2 wks primary and 2 wks secondary. Bottled 11/13/2012 and only got 2 3/4 gallons from 5 gallon batch. Lost a lot in primary which makes for expensive brew!
Where did the rest go? I usually shoot for at least 5.5 gallons going into primary on any recipe to help for trub loss.

Quick Reply