Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #41
adamjab19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I entered mine as specialty with an oatmeal stout base recipe.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #42
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
I entered mine as specialty with an oatmeal stout base recipe.
Thank you.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 AM   #43
tnix56
Recipes 

i'm about to replicate this originally posted recipe with a slight variation. instead of nuggets hops (13%), i plan on using summit hops (18%). same quantity. i've never used summit hops in a stout before and am wondering if anybody has any thoughts or experience using a hop (such as summit) with a higher alpha acid in a stout? thanks!!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM   #44
TheCapn22
Recipes 

I just drank my last glass of this, and needless to say I miss it already. The recipe turned out great, best tasting stout I've ever brewed.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #45
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

A little side note for the cold pressers of coffee out there. Maybe a no **** thing for others but something I just realized.

Sanitize your cold press container!!

The last few bottles of my last batch became a little fizzy towards the end of their aging and then this last attempt the top layer of the beer looked suspect in the fermentor after I added the cold pressed coffee. I hope this last attempt isn't ruined as I quickly transferred it but I may have to drink it sooner than later so things don't build up.

I didn't even think about this as I add the coffee after fermentation but I think it may also be introducing some sort of infection.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #46
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

FWIW, I emailed Founders to ask if the coffee is added to the kettle or brewed then added and got this response:

Quote:
Hey, thanks for enjoying Breakfast Stout! I order my coffee coarse ground, then steep it directly in the wort.
Cheers,
Jeremy Kosmicki
Head Brewer
FBC

Old 07-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #47
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I'm gonna have a big, fresh yeast cake by next weekend and plan to make a Breakfast Stout with it.

Is it possible Founder's accounts for the bitterness from the chocolate/coffee in their 60 IBU number? This was the main thing that was bothering me about those numbers (on the Founder's site and the BYO recipe). Just seemed that 60 IBU from hops, then adding the chocolate/coffee would be way too bitter.

How strong are the Kona and Sumatran coffees? I was hoping to just use fresh ground 8 O'Clock plain ole 'red bag' coffee but it's not as strong as most so I'd up the amounts a little.

I also plan to just use Wondercocoa fat-free cocoa powder. Unless someone talks me out of it.

Lastly, would the slight sweet note from subbing 1/2 lb of Honey malt for 1/2 lb of base work well with this? Also considering adding a small amount of Lactose.

EDIT: I drink my coffee with cream and sugar and am not a big fan of high bitterness so I'm assuming I'll want a slight sweetness in this, hence the tentative plan for honey malt and lactose. But this is uncharted waters for me.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Last edited by SpanishCastleAle; 07-23-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #48
smakudwn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I brewed this with the 60 IBU but did not use the nibs, used all bakers chocolate. Also the second coffee addition i used cold pressed coffee. I can tell you mine is not overly bitter.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #49
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

have you tried real thing or other breakfast/coffee stouts? if you like them, i wouldn't worry about it being overly bitter. I've done both 60 and 30 IBU and both were great.

i'm not so sure about trying to sweeten it with honey/lactose though, but if you do be sure to let us know how it turns out

Old 07-24-2010, 03:29 AM   #50
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I bittered mine to about 30 something IBU's and people liked it because it wasn't bitter. I think the honey malt will be lost. Then again I put a half pound in my blonde ale and really couldn't taste it either...

Quick Reply