Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #461
AOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfdw View Post
Pitched 2 11g packs of unrehydrated s04. Held steady at 68 degrees. Any idea why so low?
68F is not low...especially if you are not using a cooling method like a waterbath. In my opinion, if you pitch enough yeast, you should only use 68F as a diaceytl rest temperature at end of fermentation. Low-mid 60's are your friend for most ale yeasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
I know that there is a huge debate whether to use a secondary or not, but I was wondering if anyone has made this recipe with just a primary. Also if only a primary was used, how long did you leave the brew in there? I wasn't sure if a secondary was needed because of all the chocolate and coffee left at the bottom of the primary.

I always have used secondary's in the past, but I'm just trying to save a step.
I don't generally do a secondary, as I feel this is one more chance to mess the beer up with infection or oxidation. I treat the keg as my secondary, as it's easy to blow-off anything that settles out.

When I made my version of this beer, I let it sit in primary for 4 weeks just to make sure the yeast has had time to clean things up.

Cheers,
~Adam

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #462
ShaKeyJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I started this brew 10/12/2012 and had an OG of 1.079 @ 80F and when I checked it 10/18/2012 the SG was 1.018 @ 75F. I tasted a sample and the coffee was STRONG. My question is, does the coffee mellow out after time? I haven't added the 2oz of Kona yet. Any thoughts? I enjoy Founder's Breakfast Stout but this tastes like too much coffee to me.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #463
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Coffee will mellow out over time. Mines just becoming drinkable, and it's around the 4 month mark I think?

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #464
Parkje04
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just transferred over to secondary after 2 weeks in primary. SG is 1.020 (I brewed the extract version, which is where that recipe came in) so It's just over 7%, which is fine for me. I'd love it to be around 8%, but I knew going in that wasn't really a reality.

Those of you who added a few whole beans soaked in rum to the secondary, did you have success with this? I know most people have done the 2oz cold-brewed at bottling, but I saw a few people had done the whole bean. Just curious how that worked out.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #465
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed this up this morning....used Galena and nugget for my hops since that is what I had on hand....additions equaled out to 60IBU...OG 1.085 which is the range I was shooting for...

Hydrometer sample was good

Question about aroma? Strange enough I didn't get much...I was expecting a lot of chocolate on the nose but didn't get that...aroma was pretty neutral...thoughts ????

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #466
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
I brewed this up this morning....used Galena and nugget for my hops since that is what I had on hand....additions equaled out to 60IBU...OG 1.085 which is the range I was shooting for...

Hydrometer sample was good

Question about aroma? Strange enough I didn't get much...I was expecting a lot of chocolate on the nose but didn't get that...aroma was pretty neutral...thoughts ????
If you added the coffee, you should have a pretty distinct coffee and chocolate aroma.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #467
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My founders clone has been in the secondary for one week and I can't tell if this is an infection or something else. Anyone else see this on top of their secondary?

image-1048403654.jpg   image-1775540109.jpg  

Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 AM   #468
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2
My founders clone has been in the secondary for one week and I can't tell if this is an infection or something else. Anyone else see this on top of their secondary?
You'll get some visuals in secondary just like primary, there's a lot of crap in there. Could be minor yeast activity also.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #469
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Looks normal. Mine was ugly until I kegged it. It's probably still ugly. The beer just plain needs to sit.. Anyone brewing this need not be in a hurry. Especially if you used the full amount of coffee and added to the boil.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #470
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok thanks. It was my first all grain so I didn't want it to be bad.

Quick Reply