Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #421
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area
Posts: 1,613
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters49441 View Post
Bought the grains for this recipe today! Brewing this one soon! Even though I only live 40 minutes from Founders. Breakfast Stout seems thin to me this year. Anyone else had this years vintage.

It is thinner this year.. A drop off for sure from the norm. I wonder if it's them cutting corners because they've turned out to be so big in the last years..

Makes me worried about KBS this year for sure.
__________________
FATC1TY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #422
Winters49441
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

It is thinner this year.. A drop off for sure from the norm. I wonder if it's them cutting corners because they've turned out to be so big in the last years..

Makes me worried about KBS this year for sure.
KBS is overrated like TF Dark Lord. My opinion only. Others will disagree.
__________________
Winters49441 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #423
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 889
Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default


I go to founders regularly. This year's breakfast stout is exactly the same as last year's at the same time of year. In a few months it will be at its sweet spot.

I wouldn't say KBS is overrated... Absolutely delicious. Just had one yesterday, and it just makes me smile. I would consider it in the top 3 stouts that I've ever had. Yum.

__________________
JordanThomas is offline  
paulquinn Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #424
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Atlanta Area
Posts: 1,613
Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters49441 View Post
KBS is overrated like TF Dark Lord. My opinion only. Others will disagree.
I'll disagree, but understand people have different tastes so it's okay.. It doesn't have to be rated to taste good in some cases. I enjoy KBS very much so. I think it's one of the best BBA stouts.
__________________
FATC1TY is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 04:08 AM   #425
Winters49441
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 157
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Hopping Frog Boris the crusher and Bourbon County Stout blow both of KBS & BS out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Stout. That's why I'll be brewing this one this coming weekend.

__________________
Winters49441 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #426
sivdrinks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 799
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters49441
Hopping Frog Boris the crusher and Bourbon County Stout blow both of KBS & BS out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Stout. That's why I'll be brewing this one this coming weekend.
C'mon man. That would make KBS and BS about a 6 outta 10 then, considering you haven't said where Kate the Great would rate either.
__________________
sivdrinks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #427
zeprock2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edgewater Park
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


I brewed the all grain version of this recipe on Saturday. I was thinking about cold pressing flavored coffee for my secondary. Does that present any issues since the coffee beans are flavored with oil? Should I just stick with a basic kona instead?

__________________
zeprock2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #428
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 889
Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
I brewed the all grain version of this recipe on Saturday. I was thinking about cold pressing flavored coffee for my secondary. Does that present any issues since the coffee beans are flavored with oil? Should I just stick with a basic kona instead?
Flavored coffee? I would go with Kona. I just bottled this last night, and it is REMARKABLY close to the real thing in both taste and armoa.
__________________
JordanThomas is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #429
zeprock2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edgewater Park
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Flavored coffee? I would go with Kona. I just bottled this last night, and it is REMARKABLY close to the real thing in both taste and armoa.
Ya, I saw vanilla coffee and a creme brulee flavored coffee. I was seeing if anyone had used anything like this. I have heard rumors that the oils may mess with the head of the beer.. I'll just play it save and get kona or something like that.
__________________
zeprock2 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #430
JordanThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 889
Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Ya, I saw vanilla coffee and a creme brulee flavored coffee. I was seeing if anyone had used anything like this. I have heard rumors that the oils may mess with the head of the beer.. I'll just play it save and get kona or something like that.
Well the oils from the chocolate will kill the head on this beer. FBS doesn't produce much head at all. That's just the way the beer actually is. On tap, in a bottle, doesn't matter.
__________________
JordanThomas is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Founders Breakfast Stout Clone ameadrat All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 11-26-2009 12:20 PM
NB Breakfast stout kit?! The Pol All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 06-09-2009 02:57 PM
Founder's Breakfast Stout clone? ace3 Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-19-2009 03:51 PM
breakfast stout? AllHoppedUp Recipes/Ingredients 1 09-21-2008 03:42 AM
Founder's Breakfast Stout cweston General Beer Discussion 0 02-27-2006 01:49 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS