Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #401
zeprock2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Post your recipe from beer calculus here if you can.
Here is a screen shot of the fermentables.
screen-shot-2012-10-04-1.35.55-pm.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #402
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Here is a screen shot of the fermentables.
image was unreadable. Here is a full screen shot of fermentables. Thanks
http://i.imgur.com/1QGPK.png

Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 PM   #403
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Looks like beer calculus is jacked up. They probably have the max extraction value off for one of the grains. No other explanation that I can think of...

But, now that I think of it, Beer Pal showed 1.102 as well. I actually got 1.088. No idea what's going on there.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #404
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Looks like beer calculus is jacked up. They probably have the max extraction value off for one of the grains. No other explanation that I can think of...

But, now that I think of it, Beer Pal showed 1.102 as well. I actually got 1.088. No idea what's going on there.
Oh ok, well at least I'm not the only one. Makes me feel better that other applications are showing the same OG. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #405
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
I double checked and it looks like I have the measurements right. Comes in around 20LB 2oz of grain.
I think the OP wasn't getting 75% efficiency. I used 13lb of 2 row to get 1.086.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #406
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I think the OP wasn't getting 75% efficiency. I used 13lb of 2 row to get 1.086.
i think this is it. i used 11 pounds of base malt to get to 1.081.

from the outset i wanted my stout to be a bit lighter than the OP's so i started low and ramped up the base malt until i hit my desired gravity. didn't occur to me to go back and compare my final numbers to the original. had i done that i would have noticed that my version had a lot less malt than the OP's. anyhoo, just cut down your 2-row until you get to 1.086 or whatever OG you want. leave the other ingredients as they are. they're all crystals so efficiency doesn't come into play. actually i take that back: the oatmeal needs to be converted. you could cut back the oatmeal if you wanted to, no biggie if you didn't IMO. it would just give your stout extra thickness/chewiness.

just to be sure: you recipe is set at 5 gallons, right? it's cut off in the screenshot.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #407
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i think this is it. i used 11 pounds of base malt to get to 1.081.

from the outset i wanted my stout to be a bit lighter than the OP's so i started low and ramped up the base malt until i hit my desired gravity. didn't occur to me to go back and compare my final numbers to the original. had i done that i would have noticed that my version had a lot less malt than the OP's. anyhoo, just cut down your 2-row until you get to 1.086 or whatever OG you want. leave the other ingredients as they are. they're all crystals so efficiency doesn't come into play. actually i take that back: the oatmeal needs to be converted. you could cut back the oatmeal if you wanted to, no biggie if you didn't IMO. it would just give your stout extra thickness/chewiness.

just to be sure: you recipe is set at 5 gallons, right? it's cut off in the screenshot.
That makes sense. I could lower the 2-row. This may be a dumb question, but when you say start low and ramp up the base malt until I hit the gravity I want, you are talking about doing that in beer calculus right?

Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #408
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
That makes sense. I could lower the 2-row. This may be a dumb question, but when you say start low and ramp up the base malt until I hit the gravity I want, you are talking about doing that in beer calculus right?
Yep. Put in your standard efficiency, then lower the 2 row until you hit the desired OG. Note: With a beer this high you might come in a little lower on efficiency. I normally am in the 75-76 range and hit 73% with this beer.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #409
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
yeah, that's it. i started low and ramped up in hopville/BC. you could just as easily start at 16 lbs and step down until you hit your desired OG. either way: make a change, hit save to "commit" that change, then see what impact it has on OG. continue until you hit desired OG.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #410
hopzicle
Recipes 

Can a Gambrinus European-style 2-row work instead of the american 2-row? I am having trouble finding the american 2-row

Quick Reply