Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #391
jageraholic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Mine had zero foam going in as well. First time for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #392
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone put this recipe into Beer Calculus? I did to see how much water to use and it is saying that with the grain bill it will come in 1.107 OG(vs the 1.086 in the recipe). This is my first all grain attempt so I dont want to screw anything up. Any reason why it would show such a high OG? Also it is saying 6.7gal of water for the mash. Anyone have any issues fitting all the grain and water into a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler mash tun?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #393
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Has anyone put this recipe into Beer Calculus? I did to see how much water to use and it is saying that with the grain bill it will come in 1.107 OG(vs the 1.086 in the recipe). This is my first all grain attempt so I dont want to screw anything up. Any reason why it would show such a high OG? Also it is saying 6.7gal of water for the mash. Anyone have any issues fitting all the grain and water into a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler mash tun?
I didn't have any trouble in my 10 gallon cooler, but it WAS funny to do BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde after, because it was about HALF full in comparison. The Breakfast Stout definitely gets close to maxing it out. You should be good though!

Regarding beer calculus, that sounds weird that it would come out at 1.107. Is that with efficiency calculation? Seems like that might be 100% efficiency gravity. Check that I suppose.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #394
Projectfdw
Recipes 

Looking to make an extract version of this on Friday. I know tons of advice has been given but I had some specific questions and was hoping to get input from others who have made it, maybe even multiple times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does coffee style really matter for primary addition. I love the smell of a vanilla creme brule and was going to use that. What type of affect would not using Sumatran mean to the beer?

2. Should I use less than the 2oz recommended? Alot of people have said that 2oz leads to a very bitter taste. Would 1 or 1.5 oz impart any flavor?

3. Should I use 2 packs of 11g s-04 or will one suffice.

4. Thinking about doing some bourbon soaked oak chips. Was thinking of soaking 2oz in 5oz of bourbon. Should I add the bourbon as well as the chips to secondary.

5. If I do the bourbon would it be prudent to skip the coffee addition to secondary.

6. If I do the coffee in secondary and don't have access to a cold press how should I put it in?

7. How long is too long for oak chips and/or coffee grounds in the secondary?

I know I've asked a bunch but any help would be invaluable.

Gerard

Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #395
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 710 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfdw View Post
Looking to make an extract version of this on Friday. I know tons of advice has been given but I had some specific questions and was hoping to get input from others who have made it, maybe even multiple times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does coffee style really matter for primary addition. I love the smell of a vanilla creme brule and was going to use that. What type of affect would not using Sumatran mean to the beer?

2. Should I use less than the 2oz recommended? Alot of people have said that 2oz leads to a very bitter taste. Would 1 or 1.5 oz impart any flavor?

3. Should I use 2 packs of 11g s-04 or will one suffice.

4. Thinking about doing some bourbon soaked oak chips. Was thinking of soaking 2oz in 5oz of bourbon. Should I add the bourbon as well as the chips to secondary.

5. If I do the bourbon would it be prudent to skip the coffee addition to secondary.

6. If I do the coffee in secondary and don't have access to a cold press how should I put it in?

7. How long is too long for oak chips and/or coffee grounds in the secondary?

I know I've asked a bunch but any help would be invaluable.

Gerard
1. not really, no. use whatever coffee you like, and one that will work with the oatmeal, chocolate and dark malts.
2. yes, the lower amount will impart flavor - just less of it. i'd go with 1.5. i went with the full amount and haven't noticed too much bitterness.
3. what does mrmalty tell you? i suspect that it'll be closer to 2 packs, but check with the pitching calculator first.
4. i added the bourbon too and i think it tastes great, although 5 oz is on the high side. maybe only add 2/3 or 3/4 of it?
5. entirely up to you. coffee + bourbon is a good combo to my palette, but maybe you want to highlight the bourbon more. if so, skip or cut back on coffee in secondary.
6. "cold pressed coffee" doesn't require any special equipment. it's just coffee that has been left to soak in cold (or room temp) water. after a few days, filter out the spent coffee grounds and pitch only the liquid, which will now be dark and contain all the coffee aroma and taste.
7. i've never used oak so no idea. i don't add coffee grounds to secondary, instead i used the cold steeping method (see #6). no grounds make it into secondary.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #396
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I wont run into any space issues.
I checked my efficiency in Beer Calculus and it is set to 75%, so I dont know what I am doing wrong....Oh well.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #397
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
I didn't have any trouble in my 10 gallon cooler, but it WAS funny to do BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde after, because it was about HALF full in comparison. The Breakfast Stout definitely gets close to maxing it out. You should be good though!

Regarding beer calculus, that sounds weird that it would come out at 1.107. Is that with efficiency calculation? Seems like that might be 100% efficiency gravity. Check that I suppose.
I checked my efficiency in Beer Calculus and it is set to 75%, so I dont know what I am doing wrong....Oh well.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #398
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Do you have one of the grains in lbs instead of ounces?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #399
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Do you have one of the grains in lbs instead of ounces?
I double checked and it looks like I have the measurements right. Comes in around 20LB 2oz of grain.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #400
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
I double checked and it looks like I have the measurements right. Comes in around 20LB 2oz of grain.
Post your recipe from beer calculus here if you can.

Quick Reply