Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #371
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I just did a side by side with mine and the original FBS. In mine the coffee was actually muted.

I did 2oz of course ground Sumatra at flameout and 2oz of cold-steeped coffee at bottling (2oz of grounds cold steeped overnight in ~1.5 cups water).

Mine finished a couple points higher than I wanted but the extra sweetness goes really well with this beer. What a great recipe! 1.080>1.024
Awesome. I will leave it be then!

I wish I could do a side by side, no Founders in Colorado and I am weak and drink all the FBS I trade for too fast!

Thank you for the response!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #372
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
Awesome. I will leave it be then!

I wish I could do a side by side, no Founders in Colorado and I am weak and drink all the FBS I trade for too fast!

Thank you for the response!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 AM   #373
run42beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I took a SG sample today after 16 days in primary (fermentation chamber set to 68F) and it looks like fermentation has stalled at 1.040 (OG was 1.086@76F). Any suggestions on how to restart fermentation other than shaking things up. Do I need to get/pitch another packet of S-04? Hydro sample tasted good, pronounced coffee aroma and chocolate, was hoping to get more down to 1.023. I had hit my mash temperatures pretty closely, although I am still learning as this was my first AG batch.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #374
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

the classic thing to do is raise the temp, say to 72 or 74*F, and rouse the yeast once that temp has been achieved. did you pitch sufficient yeast? did you rehydrate the s-04? how did you aerate? 1.086 is a big beer, so one has to take extra steps to ensure complete fermentation.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #375
run42beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
the classic thing to do is raise the temp, say to 72 or 74*F, and rouse the yeast once that temp has been achieved. did you pitch sufficient yeast? did you rehydrate the s-04? how did you aerate? 1.086 is a big beer, so one has to take extra steps to ensure complete fermentation.
I changed fermentation chamber temperature to go up to 72F and shook carboy up a bit. When I had transferred the wort into the carboy I shook it up quite a bit to aerate hoping that it would have been enough. I had not rehydrated the yeast when first adding.

If raising the temperature/shaking the carboy doesn't get the existing yeast going again would you recommend adding another package of S-04? What about having enough oxygen in the carboy for it to get started again?

Thanks for your feedback!

Heiko

Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #376
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by run42beer View Post
I changed fermentation chamber temperature to go up to 72F and shook carboy up a bit. When I had transferred the wort into the carboy I shook it up quite a bit to aerate hoping that it would have been enough. I had not rehydrated the yeast when first adding.

If raising the temperature/shaking the carboy doesn't get the existing yeast going again would you recommend adding another package of S-04? What about having enough oxygen in the carboy for it to get started again?

Thanks for your feedback!

Heiko
You do NOT want oxygen in there now, nor is an extra packet of yeast likely to help. I would raise the temp and swirl gently to rouse the yeast. Maybe if that doesn't work, I'd make a starter and pitch it at high krausen. The problem is that the environment in your carboy is pretty inhospitable to yeast at the moment. Low oxygen, alcohol present, etc. Pitching a packet of yeast into that environment will probably not do much, but if you get the yeast going ahead of time they might have a fighting chance to lower your gravity. Oxygen introduction at this point would oxidize the beer and make it taste like wet cardboard. Any chance your mash temp was jacked up?

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #377
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

in my experience, aeration by shaking only once isn't sufficient for big beers. i've recently switch to a stone + aquarium pump setup, and i'll hit the wort 2 or 3 times in the first 24 hours after pitching. pure oxygen would be best, obviously, but i haven't graduated to that yet.

as pable said, you don't want to get any air in there at this point. if you want to stick with S-04, then rehydrate it, and start adding small amounts of the beer to it so that the yeast have time to acclimatize to. after rehydration, i would add maybe a half-cup of wort per hour for 4 or 5 hours (feel free to go slower, but keep things sanitary and keep the yeast & beer covered/protected). alternately you could use something like WLP099 which is alcohol tolerant. make a starter with it and pitch at high krausen.

in the future, you should consider rehydrating your dry yeast before pitching it. that helps ensure that the most yeasties survive re-animation and make it into your wort. also, check out mrmalty (http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html) to determine how much yeast to pitch. for your 1.086, a 5 gallon batch required 1.5 packs. so if you pitched only one, that might also explain why you didn't go as low as expected.

Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.
digitalMessiah Likes This 
Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #378
run42beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks pabloj13 & sweetcell for your advice!

Looking at my brew notes I think I hit the mash temps but may have kept the wort in the MLT for 70 instead of 60 minutes before the sparge water was ready.

I moved the carboy out of the fermentation chamber into my living room where it may get up to 77-78F during the day and swirled it around a bit. Took another SG measure which came out at 1.036@76F thus decided to let it sit and see what happens (even saw a bubble make it through the air lock). I've picked up another package of S-04 but will hold off dehydrating/adding it until a couple more days in case FG doesn't go down. I suppose RDWHAHB is in order.

Thanks again for the valuable advice!

Heiko - still learning :-)

Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #379
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

spending extra time in the mash isn't going to hurt, in fact it can only help. so your 70 vs 60 isn't an issue.

once your carboy has a day or two to warm up to the mid-70's, give it another swirl. right now, the wort is still cool so anything that you kicked up might settle out before things get warm. and if you're using a clear fermenter (glass or better bottle), be sure to keep your brew out of the sun. drapping a thick t-shirt over it, with the neck poking out a sleeve, is a good way of keeping the contents of your FV in the dark.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #380
pabloj13
Recipes 

Yeah, like sweetcell said, a longer mash might make the wort MORE fermentable if anything. What kind of thermometer do you use? Is it calibrated? It's still dropping so that's a good sign!

Quick Reply