Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #321
MoronBrothersBrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Please forgive me for the dumb question but i just want to get it right. The 2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout is brewed coffee or is just the actual gound coffee?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #322
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoronBrothersBrewery
Please forgive me for the dumb question but i just want to get it right. The 2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout is brewed coffee or is just the actual gound coffee?
Grounds, I suggest a 1 gallon paint strainer bag or hop bag.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #323
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Grounds, or whole beans, your choice really.

I did a rather course grind on them, maybe 4-5 seconds in the grinder to bust them all open and get more surface area.

2oz of brewed coffee will easily get lost in there at flameout.

I did 2oz ground, and boiled it for 1 minute I think, I'll look at my recipe. I then racked it on beans un ground for a week with bourbon oak chips and cocoa nibs. It's pretty damn coffee forward. Aroma is through the roof. It's bitter from the coffee, must like the smooth hop bitterness.

It needs aging however, so I think all the coffee is necessary anyways to balance it. Coffee will fade with time, and be the first to go.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #324
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
Hey all, sorry I haven't responded in a while, it's been fun reading about the folks making this beer though! Last year I made a similar beer (recipe posted back in ~Oct of last year) and did the bourbon / oak treatment on the beer. This year I'm going to use this recipe again, but slightly cranked up to get just a bit closer to Founders KBS. I'm going in small steps since this is a big beer, shooting for the ~10% to 10.3% range this year. (KBS is 11.3%, mind you.)

This recipe here is invaluable for the coffee and chocolate additions. If you do those methods, it works pretty well.

This is a fun topic. Just like homebrewing; there's no wrong way. I personally added at flameout and cold steep during kegging last year. It tasted great, but towards the end of the keg (6 months or so) I noticed a "green pepper" character coming out of the coffee. Some people cannot taste this! Some people can!!

In fact, the beer that won 1st place at the National Hombrewers Competition this year in Wood Aged was an Imperial Breakfast Stout with Bourbon...and some of the judges got a distinct "green pepper" where others did not. It's crazy.

SO...for me, this year I will adjust my beer to remove the cold steep coffee and use a "dry beaning" process instead. I will add the Kona coffee to the secondary as whole beans. This will eliminate one variable from last year and replace it with another. I will continue to use the "flameout" boil for Sumatra.

YMMV...but I felt it was worth sharing my experience.

Cheers!
~Adam

This is what I did on my first try with it. Whole bean additions which won't impart the harsher flavors. I also kept the secondary cold, like 40* and let it sit, so it wasn't steeping the beans as harshly. I have a very smooth coffee flavor with that secondary addition.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:37 PM   #325
FATC1TY
Recipes 

By the way, forgot to add...

I thought mine turned out really well, it's still very very young right now, but tastes pretty good at the moment with the little tasters I'm pulling every once in a while off the keg.

I do however, wish it had a bit more body to it. Mines relatively thin, or perhaps thinner than I expected it. I have an old FBS sitting around that I should drink side by side and make notes with. Flavor wise, it's close.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #326
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoronBrothersBrewery View Post
The freshly ground, unbrewed coffee grounds (I used Papanicholas French Roast, but that's just a matter of taste- it's what we drink every mornning). I threw them in at flameout, and left them......they of course ended up in the trub. Massive trub in this beer, what with all the chocolate, coffee, and of course the hops.*

*Yes, I know, a lot of people take out everything they can. I don't, and I nailed this sucker.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #327
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't plan on adding the bourbon, anyone totally against that idea? Wife isn't a big fan.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #328
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
I don't plan on adding the bourbon, anyone totally against that idea? Wife isn't a big fan.
I did half on burbon oak and left half alone. I really like both, so you will be fine without it.

And for the second coffee addition, I did cold brewed coffee and added the liquid to the secondary

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #329
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Wow, thanks for the discussion, guys. I was just thinking about how to do the coffee in secondary for my FBS clone. Good timing!

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 08-07-2012, 11:23 PM   #330
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Yeah the trub is un real. I actually strained it best I could, and holy jesus, I still had 4 inches of trub..

It's drinking good though, although young. I'll post a pic.

Quick Reply